Sitting on the Ball

So here's one I haven't seen. Ball is in the PK area just wide of the goal. Defender and an attacker are in a scrum trying to win it. Defender tries to kick it out but trips and falls, sitting on top of the ball. He rolls himself off the ball, is on the ground, but holds the ball between his legs. I blow the whistle because he's now surrounded by two attackers attempting to kick the ball and I can see there's the potential for the players to get hurt (age around 12). What's the call? He never touches it with his hands and it was accidentally falling on the ball, but he did make an effort to keep it between his legs so it wouldn't go into the goal. Dangerous play and an IDFK? Dangerous play and a yellow card? A foul on the attackers for attempting to kick the ball while he's on the ground? A dropped ball for safety? Should of let them play on?

IDFK (dangerous play) seems to be the rule. Does it depend on intent, is it only if player stays down, or would it apply as well if they were simply struggling to get to their feet?

Just curious: why would you consider a yellow card?

For this age, an indirect for PIDM. At older ages, I might wait to see what happens. My expectation at older ages is that the player try to get up immediately and play the ball.

At least IDFK.

if this is the last or second to last defender, it seems to satisfy dogso:

distance to ball ? yes. attackers are close enough to kick at it.
distance to goal? yes. A few yards.
direction of play? yes, ball rolled towards the goal.
defenders ? not stated.

What am I missing?

Simple dangerous play on the sitter if you feel he intentionally held the ball between his legs. Nothing more. IDFK for the opposition. If the other team was kicking him just because he fell over and was on or near the ball, then DFK the other way.

At least IDFK.

if this is the last or second to last defender, it seems to satisfy dogso:

distance to ball ? yes. attackers are close enough to kick at it.
distance to goal? yes. A few yards.
direction of play? yes, ball rolled towards the goal.
defenders ? not stated.

What am I missing?

Keeper was covering the near post and a slew of attackers and defenders were running into the box so don't think it was an obvious goal. Could dangerous play ====> DOGSO though especially if it wasn't done on purpose?

I called an IDFK in the box, which felt weird. Didn't know what to do for a split second. Was all: now what mess have I gotten myself into? One side called for a foul on the defender on the ground, the other for yellow card. I was just concerned with avoiding the kid getting kicked in the head (or spiking the attacker with the cleats since he was flailing about).

Keeper was covering the near post and a slew of attackers and defenders were running into the box so don't think it was an obvious goal. Could dangerous play ====> DOGSO though especially if it wasn't done on purpose?

I called an IDFK in the box, which felt weird. Didn't know what to do for a split second. Was all: now what mess have I gotten myself into? One side called for a foul on the defender on the ground, the other for yellow card. I was just concerned with avoiding the kid getting kicked in the head (or spiking the attacker with the cleats since he was flailing about).
you were correct. at the age/level, stop play if it's a dangerous situation. then take a few seconds and process it, make a decision, and sell the shit out of it.
IDFK in the box is always strange, whether it's dangerous play, or a pass back or whatever. again, take enough time to get things set up, and be confident.

Back