Silver Lakes College Showcase, Surf College Showcase, November Nights

Before heading south I just looked at the registrations and there are over 400 at the Surf Showcase and less than 100 at Silverlakes...I agree with the earlier post that I rather be where the coaches are and near the beach. Hope teams were not sold they would be seen more in Norco...ouch![/QUOTE
Coaches are not looking at top teams, they are watching top players.

I was at the Silverlakes venue this morning with my daughters team for training. They are pulling out all of the stops to make this venue even better for the teams, spectators and college coaches. I counted 106 coaches on the list, some schools have two coaches attending (hopefully to divide and conquer). They have placed a double decker viewing platform in the middle of the complex for the college coaches to see several of the fields from a higher vantage point. The fields look to be in great condition. They have added large palm tree's to the entry drive to make the entrance to the complex even more inviting. There is also an agility/training course on one of the turf fields for the players to experience. As someone posted earlier, the 400 coaches are not there to just see the girls play and I would be curious to know what the ratio of mens/womens teams are represented. For a first year showcase, Silverlakes College Showcase looks pretty good. Next year will be even better as the college coaches become more aware of the teams attending. For our team, entry fee's were less, no forced hotel stays, eating out for every meal, washing uniforms in the sink, etc. We are thrilled with the option to play "locally". My car isn't even warmed up before we arrive. We will be playing at least three very competitive games during the Showcase. Our team is playing four games in three days. This will be a great opportunity to play quality games before heading to North Carolina next week.

Good Luck to all in whatever tournament or showcase you are playing in this Thanksgiving Weekend. Here's to safe travels and an injury free weekend for our girls!

Before heading south I just looked at the registrations and there are over 400 at the Surf Showcase and less than 100 at Silverlakes...I agree with the earlier post that I rather be where the coaches are and near the beach. Hope teams were not sold they would be seen more in Norco...ouch!

6 D1 coaches on the 'lists' mean something to my DD and they have all said they will come see my DD play this weekend at SilverLakes. Love her club recruiting coordinator for making this happen! The beach, 100+ men's coaches, 175+ coaches for schools that can't give scholarships, the 40+ coaches from religious schools, the 50+ coaches from schools that don't even have my DD selected major are meaningless to her. Good luck to all...

After looking up both tournaments there are almost 3 times as many women's coaches at the Surf College Cup...people being sold on more coaches just because it's only women in Norco are not honest. Recommending to be at a tourney with more exposure; this is silly...I live in the I.E. and would rather go to the coast and get seen then be in Norco, etc. Its about kids opportunity to get a scholarship potentially right? Walking to a field a few hundred yards at the most isn't the amenity that makes up for less coaches, location (coast vs I.E), etc. Just look at the complexes and which one passes your eye test.

After looking up both tournaments there are almost 3 times as many women's coaches at the Surf College Cup...people being sold on more coaches just because it's only women in Norco are not honest. Recommending to be at a tourney with more exposure; this is silly...I live in the I.E. and would rather go to the coast and get seen then be in Norco, etc. Its about kids opportunity to get a scholarship potentially right? Walking to a field a few hundred yards at the most isn't the amenity that makes up for less coaches, location (coast vs I.E), etc. Just look at the complexes and which one passes your eye test.
Do you work for Surf

Did Surf change from 25/ 30min halves, improve their parking, reduce to 1 game day, and lower their costs?

Did Surf change from 25/ 30min halves, improve their parking, reduce to 1 game day, and lower their costs?
Let's see, more teams, less time to view individual players, not only in games but overall. Quality versus quantity, I'll take fewer teams where coaches actually have time to really watch players.
6 D1 coaches on the 'lists' mean something to my DD and they have all said they will come see my DD play this weekend at SilverLakes. Love her club recruiting coordinator for making this happen! The beach, 100+ men's coaches, 175+ coaches for schools that can't give scholarships, the 40+ coaches from religious schools, the 50+ coaches from schools that don't even have my DD selected major are meaningless to her. Good luck to all...
HaHa, near the beach, good luck with traffic, but really, we are not there for the beach. I don't care where they are seen as long as they are seen by the coaches that matter. Silverlakes, Surf, doesn't matter. It is the player people not the team. Coaches don't recruit teams, they recruit players!

Aw yes...nothing like that frabrezee in a trash can smell that runs up from the landfill throughout the fields of Oceanside to make me think of the coast...lol. Or better yet hoping it doesn't rain at the polo fields of Del Mar...anyone remember walking through the mud in the parking lot of that location? Not fun getting in your car with all that thick mud on your shoes, not to mention carrying easyups, chairs, gear. One of the many reasons Silverlakes is running a College Showcase is because of the positive feedback the Owner and GM got from College Coaches who attended the Cal South Showcase last summer. Competition is good for all...teams that haven't been able to get into Surf Cup in the past, now have a chance to get in. Catering to the College Coaches (will get more Coaches) and making the showcase affordable to teams seems like an eventual winner for the players hoping to get looked at. Btw I counted more PAC-12 schools at SilverLakes then Surf...but Surf killed it in the DIII, NAIA and Juco categories, which opens the door for all the girls to get looks. If you DD gets looked at by the school of her choice...does it really matter which Showcase she attended? Good luck everyone and safe travels

Let's see, more teams, less time to view individual players, not only in games but overall. Quality versus quantity, I'll take fewer teams where coaches actually have time to really watch players.

HaHa, near the beach, good luck with traffic, but really, we are not there for the beach. I don't care where they are seen as long as they are seen by the coaches that matter. Silverlakes, Surf, doesn't matter. It is the player people not the team. Coaches don't recruit teams, they recruit players!
College coaches don't usually watch more than a half when evaluating potential players. In case you also didn't know, they don't care who wins the game either.

Who ever told playing 30 to 40/45 min halves makes a huge difference in the recruiting process is serving you black and yellow Kool-Aid.

Aw yes...nothing like that frabrezee in a trash can smell that runs up from the landfill throughout the fields of Oceanside to make me think of the coast...lol. Or better yet hoping it doesn't rain at the polo fields of Del Mar...anyone remember walking through the mud in the parking lot of that location? Not fun getting in your car with all that thick mud on your shoes, not to mention carrying easyups, chairs, gear. One of the many reasons Silverlakes is running a College Showcase is because of the positive feedback the Owner and GM got from College Coaches who attended the Cal South Showcase last summer. Competition is good for all...teams that haven't been able to get into Surf Cup in the past, now have a chance to get in. Catering to the College Coaches (will get more Coaches) and making the showcase affordable to teams seems like an eventual winner for the players hoping to get looked at. Btw I counted more PAC-12 schools at SilverLakes then Surf...but Surf killed it in the DIII, NAIA and Juco categories, which opens the door for all the girls to get looks. If you DD gets looked at by the school of her choice...does it really matter which Showcase she attended? Good luck everyone and safe travels
You do know Legends is running the SilverLakes Thanksgiving College Showcase right.

As for Pac12 schools post, player better have a strong resume which i cludes individual accolades. If not, good luck trying to get the Pac12 coaches to the game.

You do know Legends is running the SilverLakes Thanksgiving College Showcase right.

As for Pac12 schools post, player better have a strong resume which i cludes individual accolades. If not, good luck trying to get the Pac12 coaches to the game.

I think we will be just fine, and if it doesn't work out... there is always National League, Vegas, ID Camps...

NoGoal is your DD still in club or is she in college already? With this new forum, I don't see many of the old posters as much. But I respectfully disagree with you about the amount of time a College Coach looks at a player or Team during a game. Coaches I have dealt with have told me they would rather see a longer half...45 min. Those extra 15 minutes can show a lot of strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for your input...you have always given insightful opinions

I think we will be just fine, and if it doesn't work out... there is always National League, Vegas, ID Camps...

NoGoal is your DD still in club or is she in college already? With this new forum, I don't see many of the old posters as much. But I respectfully disagree with you about the amount of time a College Coach looks at a player or Team during a game. Coaches I have dealt with have told me they would rather see a longer half...45 min. Those extra 15 minutes can show a lot of strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for your input...you have always given insightful opinions
She is in her last year of club soccer.

Have you volunteered passing out the team's college brochure at showcases? If so, you would have noticed the majority of college coaches leave after a half. If it's a mismatch game, the college coaches leave after 15-20 mins. They want to evaluate as many players they can get to who they have interest in their program. If college coaches have interest in a player, they will evaluate the player at 2-3 games or showcases. They watch 2-3 games/showcases, for player consistency. Example: was it a great game or poor game for the player.

That's why an additional 15 mins isn't going to mean much. The additional 15 mins is great, but it will be used (should be) to showcase subs who wouldn't have gotten as much play time in the 30 min halves at the Surf College Cup.

Don't remind me about the mud. It was terrible!!!

She is in her last year of club soccer.

Have you volunteered passing out the team's college brochure at showcases? If so, you would have noticed the majority of college coaches leave after a half. If it's a mismatch game, the college coaches leave after 15-20 mins. They want to evaluate as many players they can get to who they have interest in their program. If college coaches have interest in a player, they will evaluate the player at 2-3 games or showcases. They watch 2-3 games/showcases, for player consistency. Example: was it a great game or poor game for the player.

That's why an additional 15 mins isn't going to mean much. The additional 15 mins is great, but it will be used (should be) to showcase subs who wouldn't have gotten as much play time in the 30 min halves at the Surf College Cup.

Volunteered?? That would mean others from the team are doing it too...lol. No, I am the only one doing it, and you are right about some Coaches hanging around for 15-20 min; however I am not afraid to ask Coaches questions. It helps when some of my best friends are College Coaches...I pick their brains a lot on what they like to see from a player and what they are looking at when it comes to cattle calls...I mean showcases. I have been blessed to have two Daughters go to college on someone else's dime, one is done and earning a living and the other is committed to a top Academic/Soccer School. I just comment on what I know worked for us. As the Manager of our team, my goal is to get every girl on our team some type of financial aid. Athletic, Acdemic or Goverment assistance, it all comes down to getting these girls to the next level. So that being said, and relying on my past experience with the entire recruiting process...Silverlakes should fit us nicely.

Volunteered?? That would mean others from the team are doing it too...lol. No, I am the only one doing it, and you are right about some Coaches hanging around for 15-20 min; however I am not afraid to ask Coaches questions. It helps when some of my best friends are College Coaches...I pick their brains a lot on what they like to see from a player and what they are looking at when it comes to cattle calls...I mean showcases. I have been blessed to have two Daughters go to college on someone else's dime, one is done and earning a living and the other is committed to a top Academic/Soccer School. I just comment on what I know worked for us. As the Manager of our team, my goal is to get every girl on our team some type of financial aid. Athletic, Acdemic or Goverment assistance, it all comes down to getting these girls to the next level. So that being said, and relying on my past experience with the entire recruiting process...Silverlakes should fit us nicely.

That's to bad the parents on your team didn't help you out. Even though college coaches were designated on the players side. A few still sat on the parents end and tough to get to all of them before kickoff. I volunteered, because my DD was committed early on. So watching the game wasn't a big deal as long as she put out the effort.

I only spoke to the college coaches who wanted to talk. I didn't want to bother them, while they were working. IMO, it's unfair to the other families on either team, if I was taking up the coaches time during a game and they missed a play of a particular player they came to evaluate.

Eventually, they tell you or you figure out who they were there to evaluate. For example: a U17 YNT player on my DDs team was still uncommitted a year back. It was very obvious Stanford, Notre Dame and Virginia were at every game to show they were watching and courting her and didn't bother taking a brochure anymore. Anyways good luck to your DDs team this weekend.

Just look at the complexes and which one passes your eye test.
After spending much of the last 2 days driving around college coaches at Silverlakes, I'll tell you which one passes the eye test, and it's not even close. Catered VIP tent with breakfast/lunch/drinks. Mercedes Benz golf carts to transport coaches throughout the grounds. Complimentary field side seats for coaches. Elevated viewing stand for coaches to watch multiple games. High definition JumboTron showing the OSU/Michigan game. And I heard they threw a VIP reception at the fields on Friday with two live bands, sushi bar, catered dinner, and cigar rolling station. And by next year, the Fieldhouse Restaurant should be up and running in the center of the complex. Silverlakes knows how to do it. It has become the premier soccer facility on the West Coast in such a short amount of time. I delivered dozens of coaches to their fields, and I was only one of 7 drivers. It has been a highly successful event for the players and college coaches alike. If a coach's satisfaction poll was taken, I guarantee the Silverlakes College Showcase would rank at the top of the list. Many of the coaches I spoke with mentioned that "Finally, someone listened to us. This is how to put on a showcase." High praise from multiple sources. And now I get to sleep in my own bed without any hotel costs! Doesn't get any better...

Plenty of non-DA players will get an opportunity to play college ball in the coming years, so these showcases will continue to be very beneficial.
Nah, Power 5 conference coaches will recruit from the Girls DA club pools.

The only individuals benefiting from these future College Showcase events are the individuals depositing the showcase fees.

Back