sideline seating standards?

To me the solution to sideline confrontations in youth games (parent v parent and parent v ref) is easy. Team and its parents on one sideline and opposing team and parents on other sideline with parents to the left of midfield. The benefits are:

1) No direct contact between AR and parents
2) Reduces contact between opposing parents and sideline sitting disputes
3) Coach has more direct control over parents behavior (which is coach's, not ref's, responsibility, although some refs prefer to engage directly with parents). This, of course, assumes coach isn't also crazy.
4) Reduces coaching by parents as coach is more likely to hear parents on same sideline (I've noticed significantly more parent coaching when parents are on opposite sideline)

Yes, parents should just behave themselves. But the reality is that its not happening. We had a friendly scrimmage (ECNL and DA B07) the other day without a ref and very little coach involvement. The players policed themselves and played freely, it was a refreshing and fun to watch kids play in this environment. Of course, one jackass parent had to ref and coach from the stands the entire time.
A couple of years ago after a sideline incident, my kid's old coach told the parents any more issue from any parent will directly result in reduction of playing time for his or her kid. Worked like a charm.

A couple of years ago after a sideline incident, my kid's old coach told the parents any more issue from any parent will directly result in reduction of playing time for his or her kid. Worked like a charm.

Had that same parent/coach talk when my DD was U12 at West Coast and it also worked like a charm. Really, I'm not sure all the fuss about parents sitting someplace special as the players switch at half anyway. On our last team, our own team was more annoying than the opponents, typically. I like to sit in peace and watch the game, cheering for everyone when they deserve it, not just my kid. If some crazy parent is ranting about, so be it. I have been known to even put on headphones or sit on the opposing side myself, to get some quiet. Seems like ranting parents irritate other ranting parents more than anyone else. Overall, I'm just glad that players are on one side and parents are on the other. It was even a bigger nightmare when players and parents shared sides back in the day. I think DA has specific rules now though. But like we all know, rules are only as good as those that follow them and those that enforce them. Coaches and DOCs, ultimately have the power to calm parents and guide them appropriately. It's called leadership.

If they don't then try to identify which kid is theirs and yell for your players to pick on that kid because he/she is "slow" or "doesn't have it"
I sure hope that was meant to be a sarcastic joke. These are kids and no adult should be making negative comments to a kid. Do it while I am the referee and you will spend the remainder of the game sitting in your car.

On a more positive note, during my DDs game yesterday, I sat on our side of the field behind the corner flag on a bench with 4 dads from the opposing team. This opponent is a top team with whom we’ve had many tough matches. After the game my DD asked me who I was sitting with and could we keep our laughter volume down cause we were laughing so much and too loudly. So it can work out if everyone just chills out and enjoys the play on both sides. It’s not a zero sum game (another player doing well doesn’t detract from your kid or her chances) and the other parents are most likely just like you.

Yesterday, I had opposition team parents walking up and down our side of the sidelines yelling loudly. Was fine with it until the ball rolled out and when one of our girls tried to pick up the ball they kicked the ball away from her (or they were trying to pass back to her and had really bad skills). That prompted me to tell them to go back to their side.

Parents are too stupid to allow them to make decisions on their own.
Coaches/Admins need to guide the parents.
In a perfect world every parent would keep stupid comments to themselves and enjoy the match. But we know how mature these animals can be so... perhaps admin should have a little huddle with the parents to give them their instructions

Yesterday, I had opposition team parents walking up and down our side of the sidelines yelling loudly. Was fine with it until the ball rolled out and when one of our girls tried to pick up the ball they kicked the ball away from her (or they were trying to pass back to her and had really bad skills). That prompted me to tell them to go back to their side.
Saw a coach red carded and ejected yesterday for picking up a ball and throwing it over the head of the player coming to get it. His team lost.

Please tell us who. Or if you’d rather not put a name out there, tell us the tournament and age bracket.

And I hope the referee said “Not only do you get a red card. You are a complete jerk and shouldn’t be allowed to teach children. I hope I’m not on any of your games this season, because I’ll be looking for a reason to toss you again.”

Please tell us who. Or if you’d rather not put a name out there, tell us the tournament and age bracket.

And I hope the referee said “Not only do you get a red card. You are a complete jerk and shouldn’t be allowed to teach children. I hope I’m not on any of your games this season, because I’ll be looking for a reason to toss you again.”

Oxnard United and I was mistaken it was a tie.

https://2019crlleagueseason.sportsa...er Club&teamcode=0750-01CB03-0140&groupcode=A

Bracket - Saturday, August 17, 2019
Game
Venue Time Field Group Home Team Score Away Team Score
146428 Galway Downs 12:00 PM 14 A10 vs A1 Oxnard United Soccer Club 2 vs. Fullerton Rangers B03 White 2

https://2019crlleagueseason.sportsaffinity.com/Tour/public/info/schedule_results2.asp?sessionguid=E89FAC52-8643-45C8-8A2A-AA11904DF59C&tournamentguid=E89FAC52-8643-45C8-8A2A-AA11904DF59C&flightguid=9D23475C-339D-47FA-92A6-B933C8BB7014&tourappguid=22286FAC-18B9-4A9B-A159-274A23550663&teamname=Oxnard United Soccer Club&teamcode=0750-01CB03-0140&groupcode=A

Game
146428 Galway Downs 12:00 PM 14 A10 vs A1 Oxnard United Soccer Club 2 vs. Fullerton Rangers B03 White 2

At this same venue there was also a player assault on referee and the sheriff was called. I was talking with the referees writing the incident report. And just a note here. the girls parents are way more insane that the boys. I would hate to be the referee at a girls game.

Game

I also saw a dog on the field at Galway on the 17th. Like, a having a grand ol’ time running on the field sort of dog. I love dogs, but Galway has the most no-nonsense no-dog rules I’ve seen. Seems like quite a day out there!

I sure hope that was meant to be a sarcastic joke. These are kids and no adult should be making negative comments to a kid. Do it while I am the referee and you will spend the remainder of the game sitting in your car.
Y0u won't do a damn thing. I'm very stealthy in my verbal attacks on the youth.

Saw a coach red carded and ejected yesterday for picking up a ball and throwing it over the head of the player coming to get it. His team lost.

https://2019crlleagueseason.sportsaffinity.com/Tour/public/info/schedule_results2.asp?sessionguid=E89FAC52-8643-45C8-8A2A-AA11904DF59C&tournamentguid=E89FAC52-8643-45C8-8A2A-AA11904DF59C&flightguid=9D23475C-339D-47FA-92A6-B933C8BB7014&tourappguid=22286FAC-18B9-4A9B-A159-274A23550663&teamname=Oxnard United Soccer Club&teamcode=0750-01CB03-0140&groupcode=A

Game
Exactly what I expect from every Oxnard team. Yeah, I said it. So what?

Back