Should my GK be taping his fingers?

Yesterday, my 06 GK son slightly sprained his middle finger on his left hand during a game. It's somewhat painful and a bit swollen, but he didn't even ask for ibuprofen or anything like that.
Looking online for advice, I saw that some people say that I should've been taping his fingers, that it would've prevented the sprain. What do you all think? He may be only 13, but he wears size 11 in GK gloves, so he's definitely got man-sized hands.
I appreciate your advice, because we are still pretty new to the sport.
thanks!

Nothing wrong with taping after an injury OR if additional support is needed given level of play. My son, 2003, has never taped or used finger saves. Early on we took the approach that he needed to build up his hand strength so he used to use various hand exercise equipment (spring grips, rubber balls, etc.). He stopped doing that a few years ago. This summer he played on a mens team (age 16 playing with 20+ year olds), and he has always played up 2 and now 3 years, essentially playing against 17+ year old boys/men. Always without additional finger support and taking college level shots every game/practice.

My belief is your better off strengthen the fingers/hands through exercise and playing without additional support (added touch) if your player can handle the forces.

Nothing wrong with taping after an injury OR if additional support is needed given level of play. My son, 2003, has never taped or used finger saves.

My belief is your better off strengthen the fingers/hands through exercise and playing without additional support (added touch) if your player can handle the forces.

I forgot to mention that his last two pairs of gloves do not have finger save. He likes the flexibility that non-finger save offers, but I guess the trade off is more risk of sprains?

I forgot to mention that his last two pairs of gloves do not have finger save. He likes the flexibility that non-finger save offers, but I guess the trade off is more risk of sprains?

I have an son, 03, that has used gloves with finger saves his entire goalie career. Has never sprained a finger. But yes, his grip isn't as tight but he has gotten used to it. I would think there is definitely a higher chance of sprain without the finger saves. Tape would probably help, but that will also reduce flexibility.

How did he sprain it? Hard shot? Jammed it against someones head/body? Fell on it? (I ask because a lot of young goal keepers try to catch hard driven shots, when they probably should have punched it out). If it's catchable, you definitely want to catch it and not give up a rebound.

Yesterday, my 06 GK son slightly sprained his middle finger on his left hand during a game. It's somewhat painful and a bit swollen, but he didn't even ask for ibuprofen or anything like that.
Looking online for advice, I saw that some people say that I should've been taping his fingers, that it would've prevented the sprain. What do you all think? He may be only 13, but he wears size 11 in GK gloves, so he's definitely got man-sized hands.
I appreciate your advice, because we are still pretty new to the sport.
thanks!

Google fingersaver gloves.

I agree that young goalkeepers should not tape their fingers or use fingersave gloves, unless they have an injury they are trying to protect while continuing to play. This will help with hand and finger strength development.

If your keeper has an injury, then I would tape and buy a pair of gloves with removable fingersave spines. Just insert the finger save spine into the finger that needs the additional support.

Doesn't address the original question but I think that's the point of this forum... lol... I'm of the opinion that finger saves should be used up through the U13 season and switching into a size 5 ball. The finger saves also help with hand form... U13 season, my kid pulled some of the finger saves out to help with punching ease.

As far as tape, tape post-injury to protect while weak.

Taping seems to be an individual decision, just like finger savers. My daughter has thin hands, wrists & arms so I encourage her to tape, especially when playing up or futsal; she does what she wants.

That said, be VERY careful about letting coaches shot on your kid. For your viewing pleasure is an X-ray when a coach (former coach) shot on her from within the box (photo deleted; it had her name on it), but you get the point, broken bone in the arm.

He didn't do it intentionally
She & I are both still mad
She is not with that club any longer
It doesn't matter what club/coach it was, be careful with adults shooting on your kids.

He didn't do it intentionally
She & I are both still mad
She is not with that club any longer
It doesn't matter what club/coach it was, be careful with adults shooting on your kids.

Agree. But one of my son's games got scrapped this weekend due to a field issue, and we wound up just kicking the ball around in the goal. My son (who is as tall as my eyes now) was complaining that my kicks weren't strong or fast enough anymore for him and asked if we could get one of those really expensive ball machines.:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O

Agree. But one of my son's games got scrapped this weekend due to a field issue, and we wound up just kicking the ball around in the goal. My son (who is as tall as my eyes now) was complaining that my kicks weren't strong or fast enough anymore for him and asked if we could get one of those really expensive ball machines.:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O
Those can work if you have the coin for them. My kid was working on hand/arm strength by throwing a soccer ball sized medicine ball around. It wore us both out pretty quickly.

The only thing finger savers are good for is protecting the backs of the fingers while being stepped on. My G03 has been stepped on twice. First was accidental. Second was some a-hole striker stepped on the back of her hand as she was getting up after making a save. She immediately got up and shoved the girl and was getting in her face when the ref came over and was about to card my kid. She looked at the ref and said "this dirt didn't get on the back of my glove from making the save-she stepped on my hand on purpose!!" The ref gave the striker a yellow for UC because he didn't see it happen..otherwise he said he would've given a red. My kid said she definitely felt the difference in pressure on the back of her fingers with finger saves vs not having them.

She runs West Coast gloves and I think they all automatically come with removable finger saves. I don't think she cares either way if they are in there or not. But having finger saves isn't going to save you from that stinger shot to the finger tip either. And she's had a few over the years. If the ball is hit with enough pace or the technique is bad, finger saves aren't going to prevent a sprain or hyperextension or any other hand injury imho.

My kid trained a few times with a GK coach from a club in the OC. He had them train WITHOUT their gloves on. A few of you might know who I'm referring to based on that last line alone. He wanted them to work on catching technique. What ever happened to "train like you fight?"
His sessions were mediocre at best compared to her usual sessions. Still didn't sit well with me to be out there catching balls with no gloves on.

Taping fingers? I am not pro or con. I have done it but only when coming off of an injury. I would also like to know who is doing the taping and for what reason. Could make sense, could cut off circulation.
Finger Savers? To me gloves like boots are personal. Me? I personally love them and have been wearing them for decades. I know many GK coaches who disagree with me, and that's OK.
Training with no gloves? We have talked about doing this for years, but never have. I understand the "train like you play" concept, and to a certain extent that applies to gloves as well. I would say there is some value in certain drills without gloves, but I would not rifle balls at a keeper.

Back