Short Hike Ideas?

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Anyone have any favorite trails or secret coves that are worth a visit?

Anyone have any favorite trails or secret coves that are worth a visit?

Take a look at this site:

I would suggest the following.

Find your favorite drinking establishment.

Don't park there.

Park a few blocks away.

Presto. You have a short hike to a worthwhile destination.

The lost section of SR 39

Originally constructed to connect Angeles Crest Highway at Islip Saddle to the Azusa area, one section was so difficult to keep open due to recurring landslides that Caltrans eventually gave up and blocked it off, reserving the right to open it at some future date. Opening it up completely is on my fantasy list of things I would do if elected Governor. The area of the route is rugged, but at one time it was a 2-lane road, so it is a relatively easy hike or bike trip. The closed and gated section is about 6 miles long, but the two ends are about 70 miles apart by highway.

Fish Creek trail

The trailhead parking lot is the highest starting point for those wishing to reach the summit of San Gorgonio (but not the shortest). Depending on fitness or adventurous spirit, it can be a short hike into the woods and back (heavily damaged by forest fire a few years back) or an overnighter with several options for camping locations (bring water!). There is even a webforum for hikers in the area --

Laguna has some awesome caves and under water tunnels and coves Dom. Table Rock was in the video of No Doubt's "Running" song and no doubt, one of OC's all time great bands. My buddy went to high school with some of them when they played at lunch time.

Torrey Pines Gliderport to Black's Beach with options for the return route

Take water, a beach towel, and sunscreen.

Any grandma who doesn't need a walker or oxygen tank can manage the well-marked main trail that starts south of the concession stands. The trail at the north end of the parking lot can be a tricky scramble and is not really maintained. A longer option is to walk north up the beach to Torrey Pines State Park and then up through trails and the original placement of Route 101 looping back by Torrey Pines golf course and the medical/research buildings next to UCSD. (Our obstetrician had his office there with a perfect view of the golf course - we had great insurance then otherwise I don't know how we could have afforded him. And he knew Dr. Salk!)

As for the alleged legendary supposed quasi-legal nude sunbathing that may or may not have taken place there in the past or present, just maintain proper social distancing.

Another bonus - since the parking lot is separated from the golf course by just a chain-link fence, sometimes one can find runaway golf balls there.

Laguna has some awesome caves and under water tunnels and coves Dom. Table Rock was in the video of No Doubt's "Running" song and no doubt, one of OC's all time great bands. My buddy went to high school with some of them when they played at lunch time.

Cypress HS?

Back