Sharks ECNL

Just look at the results from their tournament over the last weekend in Del Mar! Sharks teams taking 1st left and right!

I kid, because it's a very small tournament (and it's their own), and with ECNL playoffs so close, not many top teams were playing in it.

I have two DDs youngers both playing flight 1 at other ECNL and GA clubs. Looking from the outside it does not appear they field competitive flight 1 teams in younger ages in fact I have never even seen these teams. Why don’t they take the blues or rebels approach and play every weekend? In most instances I don’t see them on schedules playing flight 1 until first year of 9 vs 9. I do consider them often in switching. However, my hesitancy is not enough game time experience. Although I do though keep hearing of flight 1 teams from around SD at the younger ages with full teams or half the teams switching over to sharks. Maybe word is getting out at Younger ages this is a third option of you can’t get on surf A or rebels? All in all I guess my point is if they want to be more competitive within ECNL/ECRL shouldn’t they be carrying multiple flight 1 teams in an age bracket? If you waiting until 9v9 which is two years prior to ECNL to field a flight 1 team you’re 4 years behind. Just imho.

Looking from the outside it does not appear they field competitive flight 1 teams in younger ages in fact I have never even seen these teams. Why don’t they take the blues or rebels approach and play every weekend? In most instances I don’t see them on schedules playing flight 1 until first year of 9 vs 9.

Looking just at SR - it does make you wonder. They do appear to have multiple teams in the younger age groups (2015G, 2014G, 2013G, etc.), but they all show just tournament games in their record, not league. It isn't until 2012G that it shows a team that competed in SoCal at all, let alone Flight 1. Same on the boys side. Multiple teams in each younger age group, but no league results of note until 2012B. Seems like it would make it much harder to then build competitive teams from that age and older, but it does seem to be working by some measures - DMCV is showing 12th strongest girls club in CA (out of 163), and there are plenty of very well-respected clubs that are nowhere near that ranking.

Looking just at SR - it does make you wonder. They do appear to have multiple teams in the younger age groups (2015G, 2014G, 2013G, etc.), but they all show just tournament games in their record, not league. It isn't until 2012G that it shows a team that competed in SoCal at all, let alone Flight 1. Same on the boys side. Multiple teams in each younger age group, but no league results of note until 2012B. Seems like it would make it much harder to then build competitive teams from that age and older, but it does seem to be working by some measures - DMCV is showing 12th strongest girls club in CA (out of 163), and there are plenty of very well-respected clubs that are nowhere near that ranking.

The youngers do play SoCal.

SoCal doesn't publish scores (or even require that they are reported) for league play until 9v9.

In my experience pre 11v11 in San Diego for girls it goes obviously Surf by a pretty significant gap… then City, Rebels, and Sharks all kinds right there behind

boys I’m not as sure for youngers , but I believe it’s primarily dominated by Surf, City , and Rebels. Also think SDSC has some strong boys teams

In my experience pre 11v11 in San Diego for girls it goes obviously Surf by a pretty significant gap… then City, Rebels, and Sharks all kinds right there behind

boys I’m not as sure for youngers , but I believe it’s primarily dominated by Surf, City , and Rebels. Also think SDSC has some strong boys teams
For girls don't forget Albion Force and ECS. SDSC is an enigma great location great fields but terrible for olders.

Boys is different because there's MLS Next which is a funnel of sorts (depending on who you play for) to pro soccer.

I guess I hadn't noticed that before - all of the age groups U10 and younger in SoCal have their scores showing as "hidden" on the GotSport pages (like this). I wonder if the teams themselves keep the records on their internal Byga/Teamsnap/Playmetrics/whatever, or if they continue to abstract/hide it from even the team itself throughout the season. I certainly understand the objective of deprioritizing the wins/losses at the youngest ages to focus on development, but I do wonder to what extent it can really be taken without annoying the team and their families.

Back