Sharks ECNL

Rumors are that Sharks received a letter from from the ECNL similar to Strikers with a warning to improve their results. Couple of curious questions I have…
1) do sharks even have a chance to improve their results or is it a done deal that they’ll leave ECNL (this seems the case with most teams in this situation)
2) why have sharks not been honest and transparent about this with their players if true?
3) How involved have Surf been with the potential politics?

never made sense to me the strikers boot but no sharks
sharks are in an area that doesnt have much ECNL and now have made the necessary improvements. Strikers had mls next and in an area of great competition. sharks also have ecnl boys..

Rumors are that Sharks received a letter from from the ECNL similar to Strikers with a warning to improve their results. Couple of curious questions I have…
1) do sharks even have a chance to improve their results or is it a done deal that they’ll leave ECNL (this seems the case with most teams in this situation)
2) why have sharks not been honest and transparent about this with their players if true?
Go look at Sporting Arsenal 04 results. not good. how would like to be that coach

Charlie, the letter Strikers got was about getting them not to pull boys to MLS and if they do, Girls are kicked out. The only way to improve their results was to obey the boss and keep their boys in a Girls League. The top boys are not interested in a girls league Charlie. Do Sharks have a boys team to improve their results? MW is kicking ass from what I hear and the program is showing results.

Showcase B but they’re going..
Let's not engage in the same puffery as the clubs. Yes, they're going to Seattle, but for Showcase. That's not "playoffs". Only Champions League is the playoffs. Showcase B is the 4th tier (North American Cup is 2nd). They did finish one point in front of Blues :) Best of luck to your daughter.

1 - Surf - Champs League
2 - Slammers Koge - Champs League
3 - Strikers - Champs League
4 - Rebels - Showcase A
5 - Phx Rising - Show B
6 - Sharks - Show B
7 - Blues - n/a
8 - AZ Arsenal - n/a

Not like it matters, but I do know that one of the Sharks U17 victories…3-0 over Sporting CA Arsenal, was awarded via forfeit. The actual match ended with Arsenal winning 7-1. Arsenal subbed in an RL player late in the 2nd half (who had also played in an RL match earlier in the day)…the score was 7-1 when she entered. Again, only mention it because Sharks is the topic of discussion.

I don't think anyone cares about what place Sharks is in this year, they should care about what place Sharks is in next year. New teams can't play together until after the ecnl season ended, ecnl players can't be released and non ecnl players moving to sharks are finishing up commitments to current teams. Trust me, you will see a huge jump up for sharks. Give teams a few tournaments to find their groove and by September you'll see how competitive this club has become for girls. Everyone should be cheering for sharks. The more competition amoungst clubs the better for players. Socal needs more competitive ecnl clubs, it's healthy for youth soccer. Sharks 07, 08,09, 2010 will easily finish in top 4-5 with a few making the playoffs. That's just my prediction based on what I've seen and heard.

I don't think anyone cares about what place Sharks is in this year, they should care about what place Sharks is in next year. New teams can't play together until after the ecnl season ended, ecnl players can't be released and non ecnl players moving to sharks are finishing up commitments to current teams. Trust me, you will see a huge jump up for sharks. Give teams a few tournaments to find their groove and by September you'll see how competitive this club has become for girls. Everyone should be cheering for sharks. The more competition amoungst clubs the better for players. Socal needs more competitive ecnl clubs, it's healthy for youth soccer. Sharks 07, 08,09, 2010 will easily finish in top 4-5 with a few making the playoffs. That's just my prediction based on what I've seen and heard.

Hope you're right, since it would be good for soccer in the area, but my guess is that it's going to take more than one season to right that ship.

Hope you're right, since it would be good for soccer in the area, but my guess is that it's going to take more than one season to right that ship.
People are looking at Sharks the wrong way.

They were so bad as long as teams show up + do the absolute basics they're doing better than before.

I decided to disect all this and look at the second half separately and look closely at the scores from Man City and ECNL second half. I think this will give you a better taste of what's to come. Here's what I saw... The 09 already finished in 5th, they beat Koge 4-3 (the only team to do so), beat Eagles 3-0 and tied surf 1-1 a few weeks ago all in the second half. The 08 team was one win away from 5th and recently lost to surf 1-0, Eagles 1-0, and is already beating Rebels and Phoenix in the second half of the season (the 4th and 5th team) ..huge improvements for so early on... They'll be top 4 next year. The 2010 is basically old Albion and City girls so they'll be in the top half as well and tied blues 2-2 in man city. This is just the second half of the ECNL season and just beginning and before the new season. It'll be exciting

I decided to disect all this and look at the second half separately and look closely at the scores from Man City and ECNL second half. I think this will give you a better taste of what's to come. Here's what I saw... The 09 already finished in 5th, they beat Koge 4-3 (the only team to do so), beat Eagles 3-0 and tied surf 1-1 a few weeks ago all in the second half. The 08 team was one win away from 5th and recently lost to surf 1-0, Eagles 1-0, and is already beating Rebels and Phoenix in the second half of the season (the 4th and 5th team) ..huge improvements for so early on... They'll be top 4 next year. The 2010 is basically old Albion and City girls so they'll be in the top half as well and tied blues 2-2 in man city. This is just the second half of the ECNL season and just beginning and before the new season. It'll be exciting
This is the correct take. Nice to have an intelligent poster. Sharks should be judged on younger teams(06-10). The old Sharks teams (04-05) were never going to see the change. Just like GA should be judged the same as the 04-05 teams are legacy DA teams and so close to graduation they wouldn't move. Come back 12 months from now, the story will be extremely clear in socal. It will be Surf and Sharks in SD, and everyone else playing for a very distant 3rd.

Come back 12 months from now, the story will be extremely clear in socal. It will be Surf and Sharks in SD, and everyone else playing for a very distant 3rd.

What lens are you looking at this through? Girls ECNL? Girls ECNL+RL? Boys too? The entire program including SoCal teams? Are we including non-ECNL clubs in the conversation?

I hope you're right, but have my doubts. I remember hearing that this was going to be the case several years ago and it never materialized on a program-wide basis.

Back