Sharing Time

I agree with more action the better. I feel like this Flight 1 experience would be great for him. But don’t want to burn bridges either.
You will not burn bridges. If the coach likes him then the door will be open. Just think the more action he gets the better he will develop and the more opportunities he will have.

Plain and simple, the best keeper should play. You have lots of keepers that don't train other then go to practice and it shows in games. some coaches don't even know how to coach keepers, let alone still play each keeper for 30 or 45 min. It's a waste of money to split time and not fair to the best keeper. In all reality, its hard to find a solid keeper, but the best keeper should play all game regardless of what coach thinks about having 2 keepers. club soccer is you either have it or not, some coaches play daddy ball and like to accommodate feelings over talent. Be cautious what coach says, "when the game is on the line, best keeper stays in" that's most likely a lie...!!

Plain and simple, the best keeper should play. You have lots of keepers that don't train other then go to practice and it shows in games. some coaches don't even know how to coach keepers, let alone still play each keeper for 30 or 45 min. It's a waste of money to split time and not fair to the best keeper. In all reality, its hard to find a solid keeper, but the best keeper should play all game regardless of what coach thinks about having 2 keepers. club soccer is you either have it or not, some coaches play daddy ball and like to accommodate feelings over talent. Be cautious what coach says, "when the game is on the line, best keeper stays in" that's most likely a lie...!!

I agree and disagree with the comment depending on level and age. At the younger development ages and anything Flight 2/Silver (i.e. kids in it for fun, exercise and development) and below I disagree. At the older (11v11) Flight 1/Gold+ I agree.

I think up to U13, Goalkeepers should split time and play 50% in goal and 50% in the field. It is soooooo important for a goalkeeper to have strong foot skills and a thorough knowledge of playing with the ball at their feet. At U14 moving into goal full time is appropriate for players that are committing to the position.

My son played as the sole keeper last year at U14. This year, the coach has added a second goalkeeper. He has made it clear that there will be shared time, but time will be earned. The better keeper will play in important league and tournament games. This is creating competition for playing time and is what any keeper will see moving forward to high school and college.

My DD played for a premier team (years back u13) the coach had two keepers and had stated that she was going to split time between the two, which she did. After 3-4 games my daughter opted out to play for a silver elite team. She was peppered with shots but it just made her better it was her decision to move because she wanted more playing time. My thoughts (pride) were that she was leaving a top team to move down to lower team, best move and decision she ever made. Through training sessions more coaches within the club noticed her and she started guesting with olders. Fast forward to now going into her 2 year college started 14 games in her freshman year (DII). The more playing time the better. There are many roads to playing college soccer my DD made the right one. Hard work and dedication made her the keeper she is.

Back