Sharing Time

Hi Guys. Tough choice for my son. He is the Goalie for his Flight 1 Team. This is his first season flight 1. He is doing amazing. His team is not having a great season though. Because of that he is getting a lot of work. Now mid season he got the choice to go ECNL. Problem is there is 2 goalkeepers and they would be sharing time. He just turned 12 and I think it might be too young to share time.

Any thoughts or advice?

I believe there was a whole thread on this somewhere on the forum (looked quickly but could not find it). The short answer (IMO) is it depends on the situation.
The factors that I have seen that can make or break the situation are:

How the time is split (50/50, earned based on who is playing better, starter/backup, etc...)?
Does your son get along with the other keeper?
Is the other keeper supportive and a good teammate?
Does the coach actually have a clue regarding how to manage keepers (most don't)?
Is the team accepting of your son (or has the current keeper been with the team for a long time and they are protective of him)?
What is the end goal (college, DA, etc...)?

Every keeper wants to be the only keeper. And every coach wants 2 high level keepers to push each other and in case of an injury or one goes into a slump.
Good luck.

Hi Guys. Tough choice for my son. He is the Goalie for his Flight 1 Team. This is his first season flight 1. He is doing amazing. His team is not having a great season though. Because of that he is getting a lot of work. Now mid season he got the choice to go ECNL. Problem is there is 2 goalkeepers and they would be sharing time. He just turned 12 and I think it might be too young to share time.

Any thoughts or advice?
As a coach and a keepers mom (He is 11) the simple answer is they need to play. Keepers need to mentally be focused for a whole game. Unlike field players who get most their touches at training, keepers learn most in a game. He is young. The more action the better for him.

As a coach and a keepers mom (He is 11) the simple answer is they need to play. Keepers need to mentally be focused for a whole game. Unlike field players who get most their touches at training, keepers learn most in a game. He is young. The more action the better for him.
I agree with more action the better. I feel like this Flight 1 experience would be great for him. But don’t want to burn bridges either.

I believe there was a whole thread on this somewhere on the forum (looked quickly but could not find it). The short answer (IMO) is it depends on the situation.

How the time is split (50/50, earned based on who is playing better, starter/backup, etc...)?
Does the coach actually have a clue regarding how to manage keepers (most don't)?
Is the team accepting of your son (or has the current keeper been with the team for a long time and they are protective of him)?

Every keeper wants to be the only keeper. And every coach wants 2 high level keepers to push each other and in case of an injury or one goes into a slump.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I agree. This team has played together for about six months. Coach says 50-50 play time but that can’t be guaranteed, I know. My son knows at least half of the boys. But I feel he has bonded with his current team and Coach already so it’s hard to make the switch mid season.

Coach says 50-50 play time but that can’t be guaranteed
Is your son ok with this? That's the important question. I think at 12 you can let him start making these decisions.

When my DD was younger, in every conversation we had she would always choose 100% playing time on a lower team than <50% on a higher team. I, as a somewhat knowledgeable and low-key parent :), still got too emotional during tryout season. I would try to find her a "perfect spot" on a team where she was one of the weaker field player starters, so she is guaranteed playing time while still has plenty of room to improve.

As she got older, she is fine with joining a better team and compete for playing time. I still do my due diligence on the coach but try to stay out of the way.

I know it would be hard for me if my kid all the sudden is playing 50% of the time only. But ultimately your happiness shouldn't be a factor in his decision :).

Any thoughts or advice?

Sharing time as keeper is more palatable if during the non-keeper time he is getting some time as a field player.

Here is the link to older splitting thread - http://socalsoccer.com/threads/splitting.14850/

It's a very hard thing to do successfully IMHO and can create some problems if not managed right by the coach and if the parents and kids can't get past sharing. I have heard good and bad, and it really depends on the coach, team, players, and parents for the situation to work. In general, I am not a fan of splitting, however if teams carry two keepers I think playing time should be earned, and like other positions, the better player plays the majority of the minutes. They have to fight in practice to keep their minutes and the other has to fight to earn more. A 50/50 split just because there are two seems to be the easy way out to manage the situation. As mentioned earlier, getting reps, being mentally focused for the full game, and being prepared to come up with the save when it has been quiet most of the game, that can't be replicated in practice. It's also a challenge to come in at half-time when you have not been in the flow, in addition the team can play differently with a new keeper, one may be better with their feet and the team don't restart in the back as often after the change, or one does not distribute as well as the other, etc. Those changes can disrupt a team. The flip side to that is when a team has one keeper and then they get injured. Our DD has been the only keeper on her team, now going to U14 and has never been injured or hurt where it required to miss any game time in any sport she has played since she was 6 years old. She had missed a few practices, but was able to heal enough during the week to play. Very fortunate. That changed this summer when she got injured during a tournament this summer. She will have been out for 3 weeks and starts back light training this week. It created an issue for her team where they had to have a field player play in the goal to finish a tournament, and borrow keepers to cover in a tournament a week ago. It creates a situation that can be tough.

If I was the parent of a field player, I would probably want two keepers just to make sure there is coverage in case of injury. Some players are more prone to injury than others, some don't stretch and take the right care of their bodies, etc. Sometimes having two is the right thing, especially as they get older and the stakes are higher and the injuries seem to pile up. It does put a burden on the team when the only keeper gets hurt. It also puts pressure on the only keeper that is injured as they do not need to come back too soon and get re-injured or play injured and develop a chronic problem down the road.

however if teams carry two keepers I think playing time should be earned, and like other positions, the better player plays the majority of the minutes. .

The problem with playtime being earned is, at least until the final years of high school and in college (when keeper skills are beginning to get rounded out) is that the keepers (unless there is a very wide disparity between them or the lower is a field player that sometimes plays back up as keeper) are unlikely to have the same disparity in each skill. For example, one keeper might be really good at 1 v 1 while the other keeper might be really good at diving. Their styles might also be different (with one keeper being a sweeper, while the other is a tall-on-the-line keeper). If the coach knows how to manage them and communicate to them re his decision, then it can be mitigated. But as has been mentioned, most coaches don't know about the position or are poor managers. The keepers are likely to view decisions as arbitrary and resentment builds (unless they are being played on the field too, which is hard for coaches, particularly as the player ages, given the specialization and given the competing demands for time).

On the other hand, for equal time to work the keepers have to be very closely aligned in their skill sets. Otherwise the stronger keeper resents having to share. The weaker keeper loses confidence being compared. And the parents begin to snipe when games are lost.

The problem with playtime being earned is, at least until the final years of high school and in college (when keeper skills are beginning to get rounded out) is that the keepers (unless there is a very wide disparity between them or the lower is a field player that sometimes plays back up as keeper) are unlikely to have the same disparity in each skill. For example, one keeper might be really good at 1 v 1 while the other keeper might be really good at diving. Their styles might also be different (with one keeper being a sweeper, while the other is a tall-on-the-line keeper). If the coach knows how to manage them and communicate to them re his decision, then it can be mitigated. But as has been mentioned, most coaches don't know about the position or are poor managers. The keepers are likely to view decisions as arbitrary and resentment builds (unless they are being played on the field too, which is hard for coaches, particularly as the player ages, given the specialization and given the competing demands for time).

On the other hand, for equal time to work the keepers have to be very closely aligned in their skill sets. Otherwise the stronger keeper resents having to share. The weaker keeper loses confidence being compared. And the parents begin to snipe when games are lost.

There is no problem with time earned at older ages or at least it should not be. If players don't understand themselves that best players should be playing for team to be successful, they should try individual sport before it's too late. In an important game that matters, best players should be on the field - period. There are plenty of games that don't matter where time can be shared. The stronger keeper absolutely have a right to resent to share his/her playing time, and weaker keeper better be working his/her ass off to get better and take starting position.

We have done both scenarios, split time and also being the solo keeper. The experience of playing whole games definitely helps the keeper rather than splitting time. You mentioned that splitting time would be on an ECNL team. Is your goalkeeper better or at least as good as the other goalkeeper? Is the other goalkeeper related to any of the coaches or team managers? Because that can cause some problems too.

Good luck.

Good post.

I'd add that most top teams carry two keepers and as long as one isn't riding the pine every match it's a good situation and will allow your family to occasionally take a vacation!

I think there should be 1 keeper until U13 or maybe even U14 but after that 2 makes a lot more sense and often improves the work ethic and development of each keeper as they are not guaranteed to start/play every game if their attitude or performances slip.

Your son is currently in the perfect situation for development. My philosophy is be the only keeper on a struggling team. He will get tons of shots and see many different scenarios. As long as his psyche can take it, its the best thing for him. Stay, stay, stay where you are at.

The kid is 12, he has yet to hit puberty. Let him battle for a spot and potentially ride the pine 1/2 the game down the road when he is older.

When my kid was 11 and 12 he split time with another keeper, but played in the field. At 14 he played up 1 year, at 15 he played up 2 years, at 16 he is playing up 2/3 years and last week got to sub in for his coach's men's team (college age players (20-25). While the kid has work to do, I credit him playing on weak teams during his early developmental years ... sometimes getting 20+ SOGs on those bad days.

Stay where you are at.

Will he get field time when he is not in goal? Does he want to?
Are there other opportunities to fill in for other teams at the club?[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply. No field time. He is the only keeper right now. He seems to be hesitant because of his bond with the team. He also thinks he should get the full year on flight 1. Since he is flight 1 , only other option would be ECNL. We were thinking of asking to allow him to play in tournament or certain games.

Is the ecnl team part of a different club?

Personally, I think sitting on the bench for half of a game would suck. If I’m playing half in goal, I’d want to get on the field. (If only for 5-10 minute stretches). I’ve seen plenty of keepers at his age decide in a few years that they don’t want to play in goal anymore. And then they are light years behind even the worst field player on the team. (Or they decide to play volleyball or basketball).

Any thoughts or advice?
The only advice I would add to the already very good comments above from everyone is that you should not be distracted or enticed by the allure of "ECNL" or "DA" or any other league label until your child, girl or boy, is at least 15. Playing Flight 1 or "Premier" or DA or DPL or ECNL 2 or ECNL or CRL or YSL or whatever other overhyped-flavor-of-the-month "L" the clubs are selling this year means NOTHING until the kid is in the olders age groups. Especially for a keeper who hasn't even hit puberty yet. I tracked (almost creepily so) all the kids who were playing on the best local teams in the best leagues when my kid started club soccer in U11. Out of probably 30 names I followed, I seriously can't find more than 2 of them still playing at a high level as seniors/juniors now. It's a long road. Be patient.

*p.s. if the ECNL opportunity is within the same club as his current team, then it's the best of both worlds to stay on the Flight 1 team and guest play with the ECNL team every now and then to get the experience. The club and coaches ought to be able to easily manage that. If it's a different club, probably best to stay put. Doing national competitions at age 12 isn't going to help him nearly as much as simply playing more.

Any thoughts or advice?
ECNL teams travel, do you want to spend all the $ and fight for play time? It gets emotional when kids go all this way and get benched. It sounds like he's in a spot to really develop, and still young with lots of time to revisit this. Save that extra $ you spend on ECNL club and invest in private training/conditioning.

ps. as a mom of an 11 yr old boy, I don't think my son is mature enough to make this decision

I agree with more action the better. I feel like this Flight 1 experience would be great for him. But don’t want to burn bridges either.
Good goalies are always in demand. You shouldn't worry about burning bridges. Coaches usually have more interest in making sure they have a main gk and a back up for their teams.

If your current team plays back to the keeper, has a way for your keeper to get training, keeps your keeper happy coming to practice, and your keeper is improving every year, then no need to move. You can always guest play with other clubs if you want, play up with the same club, etc.

Honestly I've seen some really good clubs that we have played against(and lost to) where there keepers aren't their strong suit. Sometimes I think this is due the smaller amount of opportunities that they get.

Back