Servite bragging about 18-0 score. Poor taste?

My daughter attends a very small private school D VI. There are four girls including herself that have played any type of organized club soccer. Everyone else on the team have little to no experience other than some AYSO in their past. Needless to say it has been a tough season (although they got their first two wins this week).
They have seen both ends of the spectrum. A team that could have creamed them let up after it was 5-0. They passed they ball around and basically played keep away. My daughter (she is the keeper) said that that was more embarrassing that if they would have kept coming at them.

Most other teams put in the second and third string players. The problem with that is that those kids really want to score (who can blame them) and then it becomes somewhat manageable for them (they still lose lol). The only time I have any problem is when the coach keeps the starters in the whole game and they keep trying to score like they would if they were trailing.

My daughter attends a very small private school D VI. There are four girls including herself that have played any type of organized club soccer. Everyone else on the team have little to no experience other than some AYSO in their past. Needless to say it has been a tough season (although they got their first two wins this week).
They have seen both ends of the spectrum. A team that could have creamed them let up after it was 5-0. They passed they ball around and basically played keep away. My daughter (she is the keeper) said that that was more embarrassing that if they would have kept coming at them.

Most other teams put in the second and third string players. The problem with that is that those kids really want to score (who can blame them) and then it becomes somewhat manageable for them (they still lose lol). The only time I have any problem is when the coach keeps the starters in the whole game and they keep trying to score like they would if they were trailing.

Losing is never easy, whether it be a last second winning goal, PKs, or a massive drubbing. But I think your daughter's and your perspective can provide some guidance when there are games between severely mismatched teams. One would think that enacting the mercy rule would be the best way to handle it, but your daughter's comments confirm at least what I think- it's quite (and perhaps more) embarrassing to endlessly chase the ball around in what degenerates into what feels like a cruel game of playground keep away. IMO once the winning team is up by a comfortable margin, pulling starters, and even going numbers down would be preferable.

Regardless, kudos to your daughter and her teammates for sticking it out- no matter what their season record is, they're winners in my book.

Losing is never easy, whether it be a last second winning goal, PKs, or a massive drubbing. But I think your daughter's and your perspective can provide some guidance when there are games between severely mismatched teams. One would think that enacting the mercy rule would be the best way to handle it, but your daughter's comments confirm at least what I think- it's quite (and perhaps more) embarrassing to endlessly chase the ball around in what degenerates into what feels like a cruel game of playground keep away. IMO once the winning team is up by a comfortable margin, pulling starters, and even going numbers down would be preferable.

Regardless, kudos to your daughter and her teammates for sticking it out- no matter what their season record is, they're winners in my book.
Thank you for the kind words. The good thing is that they are having fun this season. It's more about wins and losses. It's the bus rides and team meetings and yes the occasional win. It's also great to see some of the girls that were basically clueless at the beginning of the season start to develop, gain confidence and contribute.

Agree with @JumboJack . playing keep away from a team feels just as bad and embarrassing as having them still try to score.

5-0 with the keep away disrespect only makes you look better in the box scores, but not in the game itself and to the losers to whom it really matters. As for the underclassmen that probably scored their first varsity goals, I can see why they would want to post those. Blame the system that created the matchup in the first place, not the school that has to decide how to best hide their excellence.

My son plays for that servite team and he and his friends had no intent to brag about that game. They posted the score to their instagrams as they always do with a win. They did not enjoy playing that game and they would have preferred to not play it. They did not take pride in winning that game 18-0 and they worked harder for the games ahead and they won a CIF championship due to their hard work.

Back