SDSC: Why no Girls DA or ECNL?

It has to do with ability to create top teams. SDSC 2010G are the best in the nation, but they won't be allowed to play DA otr ECNL when they are older.

The players will be allowed to. Just not for SDSC. Lots of SDSC shorts on kids at DA club training sessions this week.

Good assessment, generally how I figured it to be as well.

Geographically, and probably politically, SDSC is frozen out of higher competition beyond DSL. The G2010 example, and many other very good teams, are a testament of the large and strong community base of young players that are forced to depart the club early on to continue developing and playing at highest levels with DA/ECNL. It's hard to achieve championship teams when they're gutted at early ages...it has become an unfortunate cycle.

There is a great pool of players in the SDSC footprint...but my family has long since had to move on from SDSC. I know many families, mine included, that much prefer staying close to home with SDSC and build national class teams...Unfortunately, Surf knows this as well.
I think it sucks. If SDSC develops a stud goat from u6-u12 and then stud goat goes to Surf for a free ride or other promises and then plays big time college ball, who can market that player on Instagram and FB posts? 6 years each from each club? I would say the first 6 years are more important. Yet, you have big clubs promoting right now as I speak on their FB accounts all the players they have developed for college. I saw one girl who played for Arsenal for many, many years but is now a Legend. Parents with u9 kids have no idea the club hopping that has happened over the last two years. So misleading I can scream......

I think it sucks. If SDSC develops a stud goat from u6-u12 and then stud goat goes to Surf for a free ride or other promises and then plays big time college ball, who can market that player on Instagram and FB posts? 6 years each from each club? I would say the first 6 years are more important. Yet, you have big clubs promoting right now as I speak on their FB accounts all the players they have developed for college. I saw one girl who played for Arsenal for many, many years but is now a Legend. Parents with u9 kids have no idea the club hopping that has happened over the last two years. So misleading I can scream......

When DA for boys started over 10 years ago, from the details of the plan it was obvious that new teams were to be formed that would have an apparent recruiting advantage over teams in existing clubs. It appears from comments I read that the situation had not changed much. The DA teams offer a promise that the non-DA teams cannot match and thus are able to peel off the better players from the smaller or less-politically-advantaged clubs.

Perhaps DA should change its name from Development Academy to Developed Academy.

Very unfortunate...Been at it awhile and as a former SDSC member I can attest SDSC has and continues to develop great young players, as stated earlier their G2010 is top in the nation, but not for much longer as top players will have to depart for progression.

The clubs only downfall is being in Surfs backyard.

For the record, it's my opinion ENCL status would be considerably better served with SDSC then with the Sharks...but again, pure politics over what's best for the players, the sport and the community.

Very unfortunate...Been at it awhile and as a former SDSC member I can attest SDSC has and continues to develop great young players, as stated earlier their G2010 is top in the nation, but not for much longer as top players will have to depart for progression.

The clubs only downfall is being in Surfs backyard.

For the record, it's my opinion ENCL status would be considerably better served with SDSC then with the Sharks...but again, pure politics over what's best for the players, the sport and the community.
We need standards of practice. I believe all clubs have the right to recruit and if a club wants to give out full rides and promises of play time and position, that is within their rights. I take issue when one club has the YNT carrot and the others don't have it. Something is very wrong with that. At least with ECNL, all they promised was high school soccer is allowed and college coaches will come to showcases. Beach and Legends parents got all mad because a private company, ECNL, said no to JH and other clubs and those clubs poached their goats. Now these clubs have the YNT to dangle in front of kids and their parents. Plus they have the Training Centers as a true recruiting center to steal goats. It's unfair business practice in my book but I'm not a lawyer.

When DA for boys started over 10 years ago, from the details of the plan it was obvious that new teams were to be formed that would have an apparent recruiting advantage over teams in existing clubs. It appears from comments I read that the situation had not changed much. The DA teams offer a promise that the non-DA teams cannot match and thus are able to peel off the better players from the smaller or less-politically-advantaged clubs.

Perhaps DA should change its name from Development Academy to Developed Academy.
Unfortunately true... opportunities for competition are becoming much more limited in many areas/communities and need to travel is increasing...as if commuting around SoCal doesn't suck enough during the week, now weekends are spent sitting in traffic 3 times longer than a game lasts.

We’ve had the same issues up in the SouthBay until DA came around. Local clubs would develop players and they would be poached by Slammers, Blues, Real SoCal, etc. who had ECNL status. The closed league concept sucks. Nobody really wins.

We’ve had the same issues up in the SouthBay until DA came around. Local clubs would develop players and they would be poached by Slammers, Blues, Real SoCal, etc. who had ECNL status. The closed league concept sucks. Nobody really wins.

Parents have the ability to end it. Stop signing up for closed league teams.

I would, but why rule out the best Coach for my kid because he is a DA Coach and the program is in my back yard?
I get it, completely understand your position, I wish I were in it...but until SDSC can offer competition beyond SCDSL 1, traveling out of the community is the only avenue for progression. Trust me, Surf knows a SDDC DA program would definitely impact their club...and ENCL would significantly impact Sharks.

Don't see this changing anytime soon...Politics are in play.

It doesn't make sense for DA or ECNL to have two programs right next to each other. Ideally you would want proper coverage of an area to provide an opportunity to as many potential players as possible. I'm glad DA came along since ECNL was basically only in OC and SD a few years back.

Back