SDSC: Why no Girls DA or ECNL?

MicPaPa

GOLD
For such a large and competitive program in a densely populated area, why doesn't SDSC have Girls DA or ECNL?

Does close geographic proximity to other clubs, SD Surf (DA) or DMCV Sharks (ECNL), prevent them from obtaining DA or ECNL?

I would really appreciate responders with direct insight and knowledge to the criteria and process of awarding DA / ECNL to clubs. Thanks

It’s usually down to the application process and the clubs already in the 2 leagues.

The application process for both asks for coaching history of all alumni and coaching history of the coaches, the number of players, past historic results etc.

USSF asks for coaches to have a minimum of a B license. I don’t think ECNL asks for a minimum license.

Also they ask for minimum field space and the ability to hold 3-6 games on a weekend.

SDSC has some competitive teams but they seem to be lacking any truly top level teams (that beat the teams in the top half of the ECNL and DA). I always respected the club when I lived there and still do but only a certain number can be ECNL or DA otherwise is it really elite? In a dream world the bottom two clubs in each of those leagues would be relegated and replaced but we don’t follow the European model here unfortunately

Good question! I don't have any inside knowledge, but if I were to guess, it probably boils down to politics and the lack of a National Championship of some sort. Hopefully something will go their way soon as it really is a fantastic program.

Clubs already in ECNL use that status to block new clubs from joining. Same goes for DA.

It is a basic anti-competitive measure. Restrict other teams access to top level games, then poach the top players by offering them a chance to be in the "elite" league if they jump ship.

It has to do with ability to create top teams. SDSC 2010G are the best in the nation, but they won't be allowed to play DA otr ECNL when they are older.

Legends was a strong club the whole time ECNL was pretending they aren't good enough. Now Legends is DA, and pretends the ECNL teams aren't good enough.

[/QUOTE]
SDSC has some competitive teams but they seem to be lacking any truly top level teams (that beat the teams in the top half of the ECNL and DA). I always respected the club when I lived there and still do but only a certain number can be ECNL or DA otherwise is it really elite? In a dream world the bottom two clubs in each of those leagues would be relegated and replaced but we don’t follow the European model here unfortunately
Not so much... doesn't explain ENCL for DMCV Sharks, aside from Shannon MacMillan as Director.

Clubs already in ECNL use that status to block new clubs from joining. Same goes for DA.

It is a basic anti-competitive measure. Restrict other teams access to top level games, then poach the top players by offering them a chance to be in the "elite" league if they jump ship.

It has to do with ability to create top teams. SDSC 2010G are the best in the nation, but they won't be allowed to play DA otr ECNL when they are older.

Legends was a strong club the whole time ECNL was pretending they aren't good enough. Now Legends is DA, and pretends the ECNL teams aren't good enough.
Unfortunately true... Politics and egos over what's best for the players and the health of the sport.

Not so much... doesn't explain ENCL for DMCV Sharks, aside from Shannon MacMillan as Director.

Well, they also had a team that won a couple USYS National Championships 5-6 years ago. I'd venture to bet the selection committees take stuff like this into consideration.

ECNL requires top teams in each age group U13-U18. There are many clubs that have 1 or more team that could compete at that level, but the pipeline of teams may not be sufficient to field teams in all of the age groups. Both Surf and Sharks have had players move from SDSC to their ECNL or DA teams. I wouldn't say it's politics, it's just a matter of having bench depth of players and coaches to support longevity in ECNL or DA, plus having one or more team demonstrate success at high levels (i.e. DMCV Sharks -i.e. Felicia Kappes team I think they were '98s).

ECNL requires top teams in each age group U13-U18. There are many clubs that have 1 or more team that could compete at that level, but the pipeline of teams may not be sufficient to field teams in all of the age groups. Both Surf and Sharks have had players move from SDSC to their ECNL or DA teams. I wouldn't say it's politics, it's just a matter of having bench depth of players and coaches to support longevity in ECNL or DA, plus having one or more team demonstrate success at high levels (i.e. DMCV Sharks -i.e. Felicia Kappes team I think they were '98s).
Do you think Surf and Sharks just have a "passive desire" that SCSD not get DA or ECNL?

I'd put my money on "politics" and Surf / Sharks actively ensuring SDSC doesn't get it.

SDSC would put a very large dent in their programs...thus, brand and bottom line.

Do you think Surf and Sharks just have a "passive desire" that SCSD not get DA or ECNL?

I'd put my money on "politics" and Surf / Sharks actively ensuring SDSC doesn't get it.

SDSC would put a very large dent in their programs...thus, brand and bottom line.

Surf doesn't "passively" do anything. If they wanted something to happen (or not happen), it would be very overt.
Sharks approach is to focus on players - how they fit with coaches and teams. The focus isn't on what other clubs are doing or not doing.
There has always been flow between those three clubs, but it's more about fit (player, team, goals) than anything political.
ECNL just added Rebels, so there are now options for South/East and Central/Nort/Inland San Diego county. It isn't strategically necessary for ECNL (can't speak to DA) to consider adding another SD club. This season ECNL more teams to the SW region and the schedule is ridiculous. To make room for another SD team, one of the other teams from OC or even Arsenal would have to exit. If Arsenal merges and goes DA, who knows. Maybe Temecula Hawks has as good a chance as SDSC to apply to ECNL. Just speculating...

Good assessment, generally how I figured it to be as well.

Geographically, and probably politically, SDSC is frozen out of higher competition beyond DSL. The G2010 example, and many other very good teams, are a testament of the large and strong community base of young players that are forced to depart the club early on to continue developing and playing at highest levels with DA/ECNL. It's hard to achieve championship teams when they're gutted at early ages...it has become an unfortunate cycle.

There is a great pool of players in the SDSC footprint...but my family has long since had to move on from SDSC. I know many families, mine included, that much prefer staying close to home with SDSC and build national class teams...Unfortunately, Surf knows this as well.

Promotion and relegation exists. It’s just not on a team level. It’s on an individual player level.
That isn't what promotion or relegation means. Those activities are called recruiting and cuts.

Try again. Why don't DA or ECNL schedule games against high skill teams that are not DA or ECNL?

The best explanation so far is that it is an anticompetitive business practice at children's expense.

That isn't what promotion or relegation means. Those activities are called recruiting and cuts.

Try again. Why don't DA or ECNL schedule games against high skill teams that are not DA or ECNL?

The best explanation so far is that it is an anticompetitive business practice at children's expense.
Yes. That’s what i was (sarcastically) trying to say.

Back