Screaming Coaches - No Big Deal

I feel like what this author is talking about is largely a thing of the past.

https://www.soccernation.com/damage-caused-by-verbal-abuse/
Verbal abuse happens all the time in club soccer. Coaches who lack communication skills will become abusive as their frustration grows. They fail to see the problem as their own inability to teach certain skills. Children and parents are often afraid to say anything for fear they (the player) will be punished. Every parent, coach and DOC should read this article.

I was really surprised by the screaming and verbal abused by coaches when my 10 yo son played pop Warner football, it was a lot worse,, but in all fairness, the screaming coaches are the ones that got the best results.

Always talk to your kid first on if they think the coach is yelling or screaming. The yelling you hear on the sideline sometimes comes across as a soft voice to the players on the field. It can be tough to get the players to hear you on the side line. We had asked my daughter once if she thought her coach yelled at her, she said no, just telling us what to do. Now if you see a coach pull a player to the sidelines and start yelling at them right there, that could be a major problem.

Back