Schools or Bars/Restaurants - one or the other

Good article here from the CBC with references to California (photo of Dodger stadium drive-in testing site - wow) and Arizona. If schools are to reopen for in-person classes in some form this Fall (and have sports this winter) then we must "sacrifice" the bars and restaurants. You won't get the infection rate down enough for schools if bars/restaurants allowed to operate. None of this if bars serve food then ok B.S. Sorry bar owners, but it's either kids education or places to hangout and drink, the kids get my vote. Could try outdoor only (nothing indoor) first for restaurants and see if that helps lower the #'s in two weeks. Takeout always ok of course.

Eagle33

GOLD
Good article here from the CBC with references to California (photo of Dodger stadium drive-in testing site - wow) and Arizona. If schools are to reopen for in-person classes in some form this Fall (and have sports this winter) then we must "sacrifice" the bars and restaurants. You won't get the infection rate down enough for schools if bars/restaurants allowed to operate. None of this if bars serve food then ok B.S. Sorry bar owners, but it's either kids education or places to hangout and drink, the kids get my vote. Could try outdoor only (nothing indoor) first for restaurants and see if that helps lower the #'s in two weeks. Takeout always ok of course.

Don't know what they do in Canada, but at least half of US population would not survive without restaurants - they can't cook. On the other hand, they will survive without schools. :D

Pub down the street from my house is packed this afternoon. Lots of adults having a good time. 1/4 of the neighborhood is there mingling. My kid's PT got chased off an empty field this afternoon. I swear California has things so ass backwards....hope Utah is better.
Utah just hosted one of the nations largest youth softball tournaments last week. Triple Crown World Series. Will be interesting to see how many cases spread across the country from the 40 teams who attended.......and yes no mask requirement in Utah.

tjinaz

SILVER ELITE
Utah just hosted one of the nations largest youth softball tournaments last week. Triple Crown World Series. Will be interesting to see how many cases spread across the country from the 40 teams who attended.......and yes no mask requirement in Utah.
Utah already did their ODP tryouts and is running full rec soccer season right now. AZ is scheduled for team league play in September

Socal United

SILVER ELITE
I am going to take maybe the unpopular opinion amongst my colleagues and say that schools should be open. I teach both at a charter as well as a college. I have been teaching high school for 20 years in Southern California. I am not sure how I feel about the healthy part of not coming back. Do nurses not nurse because it is not healthy? Doctors? Etc? I think in our case it may be even more imperative because we have kids that are depending on us to be there for them. Other teachers, have you not had your life threatened, gun brought to school, broken up a fight with knives, gotten pneumonia from a student that comes because they don't have medical? While I am not wild about the idea of getting sick or being in that situation, I don't understand what makes us different. I have always felt that this is what I signed up for. Maybe because I started in a bad area to cut my teeth and learned though my mistakes I have a different view. If you don't feel safe, that is no problem. Either try to find a vitual job or look for new work. I hate that teachers are getting a bad rap because we are holding these kids hostage because we don't feel it is safe. Sorry for the ramble, just felt I needed to get it off of my chest. Sorry to the teachers that think I am endangering you with what I think. Do something else.

I am going to take maybe the unpopular opinion amongst my colleagues and say that schools should be open. I teach both at a charter as well as a college. I have been teaching high school for 20 years in Southern California. I am not sure how I feel about the healthy part of not coming back. Do nurses not nurse because it is not healthy? Doctors? Etc? I think in our case it may be even more imperative because we have kids that are depending on us to be there for them. Other teachers, have you not had your life threatened, gun brought to school, broken up a fight with knives, gotten pneumonia from a student that comes because they don't have medical? While I am not wild about the idea of getting sick or being in that situation, I don't understand what makes us different. I have always felt that this is what I signed up for. Maybe because I started in a bad area to cut my teeth and learned though my mistakes I have a different view. If you don't feel safe, that is no problem. Either try to find a vitual job or look for new work. I hate that teachers are getting a bad rap because we are holding these kids hostage because we don't feel it is safe. Sorry for the ramble, just felt I needed to get it off of my chest. Sorry to the teachers that think I am endangering you with what I think. Do something else.
Nonsense.

I concur. I will be starting my 27th year as a SoCal high school teacher. I'll be in my classroom teaching virtually. Same scenario for my wife (1st grade). We want our students in our classrooms. We want our son to begin his 3rd year at Cal. We want our daughter to begin her 1st year of college soccer. This alternative is undesirable for us.