SAT/ACT

I highly doubt this will happen though. I couldn’t imagine a facility that could accommodate the ACT test with all the safety measures of social distancing etc.

We registered for the June 13th date. so far no issue.

The ACT is still on.....but I highly doubt this test will be administered. I would assume they would wait for everyone to have access to this test since some parts of the country are still on lock down.

We are having a Virtual Graduation right now for our seniors; it’s over 6 days and students are put into time slots (very small groups), kept at a acceptable social distance, allowed 2 guests, walk the stage, get their name called out, have several photo opportunities set up, big screen with teachers on zoom congratulating them, etc.

Attachments

• EDC7E119-940E-45CB-AF3D-E5F6534ECF61.jpeg
    EDC7E119-940E-45CB-AF3D-E5F6534ECF61.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 40A2B121-4347-4CB9-830D-A49DAB163BC7.jpeg
    40A2B121-4347-4CB9-830D-A49DAB163BC7.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 9
The ACT is still on.....but I highly doubt this test will be administered. I would assume they would wait for everyone to have access to this test since some parts of the country are still on lock down.

We are having a Virtual Graduation right now for our seniors; it’s over 6 days and students are put into time slots (very small groups), kept at a acceptable social distance, allowed 2 guests, walk the stage, get their name called out, have several photo opportunities set up, big screen with teachers on zoom congratulating them, etc.
Well that's a little good news. I feel so bad for 2020 grads.

We usually go real big for our graduations (class size usually just under 500)....large stage in the middle of our school makes a great setting, 2 large jumbo-from screens so everyone can see, large catwalk so the kids get their 30 seconds of glory and an occasional surprise or two.

Surprise Guest

For this year, we are just trying our best to give the class of 2020 something.

U of C system eliminating the ACT/SAT sounds like an equitable effort, but this is another bad decision by the PC obsessed Board of Trustees. Yes, the standardized tests have their biases, but the bottom line is that they are reliably predictive of preparedness and success in college (that is different than success or capability in one's job/career, of course).

Everyone in education knows high school grade inflation is proliferating, especially at the higher income schools where parents complain and threaten at the whiff of a C+ (just as they do at their local soccer club). So, GPA is far from a reliable predictor. Nor are essays, which are often written/edited by parents or Rick Singer-like services.

U/C says it will develop its own test, but that will never happen. There would be hundreds of meetings and opinions about each and every question put on the test. The solution is to use the ACT as one data point and evaluate it acknowledging that biases do exist for certain application segments.

U of C system eliminating the ACT/SAT sounds like an equitable effort, but this is another bad decision by the PC obsessed Board of Trustees. Yes, the standardized tests have their biases, but the bottom line is that they are reliably predictive of preparedness and success in college (that is different than success or capability in one's job/career, of course).

Everyone in education knows high school grade inflation is proliferating, especially at the higher income schools where parents complain and threaten at the whiff of a C+ (just as they do at their local soccer club). So, GPA is far from a reliable predictor. Nor are essays, which are often written/edited by parents or Rick Singer-like services.

U/C says it will develop its own test, but that will never happen. There would be hundreds of meetings and opinions about each and every question put on the test. The solution is to use the ACT as one data point and evaluate it acknowledging that biases do exist for certain application segments.

Hallelujah!!!! My dd has a 4.0 now too!!! This semester only :)

Agree. Grade inflation is happening in college also.

Maybe a better way to evaluate a student's preparedness for college would be based on the workload of the student. Straight A's in easy classes or B's and A's in AP classes and honors classes. Look at the student's AP scores. Even if some schools inflate grades you can't inflate AP test scores. I over heard a friend of my player who attends a well known private school in our area say that their teacher in ____ class would let them retake their tests in the class until they got an A. Just one example how inflated grades work. ACT/SAT tests are a snapshot of one morning in a student's school career and can be influenced by many factors. AP tests cover in depth course content.

ACT/SAT tests are a snapshot of one morning in a student's school career and can be influenced by many factors. AP tests cover in depth course content.
My son recently took the AP history test. He said t was not a history test. It was a test to see who can read quickly, type quickly and write an acceptable paper. It did not test any knowledge of history at all.

The politically-minded Board of Regents also overruled the faculty committee's recommendation to at least keep the ACT/SAT in place till the new UC test is complete. But no, can't do that either, and let's not listen to the professors. The pencil-pushers and political class know better. Meanwhile university administration staffs and costs keep ballooning while faculty #s remain constant:

(From the NY Times OpEd linked below). Even more strikingly, an analysis by a professor at California Polytechnic University, Pomona, found that, while the total number of full-time faculty members in the C.S.U. system grew from 11,614 to 12,019 between 1975 and 2008, the total number of administrators grew from 3,800 to 12,183 — a 221 percent increase.

Agree. Grade inflation is happening in college also.
Maybe the written portion of the SAT/ACT should be mandatory. At least then evaluators would know parents wouldn't be doing the work of the student and they could see who actually can write. Writing is a huge component of almost all college course work at least in the GE requirements.

My son recently took the AP history test. He said t was not a history test. It was a test to see who can read quickly, type quickly and write an acceptable paper. It did not test any knowledge of history at all.
This is just this year’s modified online test that did not include the multiple choice section. In its usual format it does require comprehensive knowledge of US History.

Back