San Diego surf is a joke!!!!

If MLS Next and Elite Academy are the real deal, I don't see how Surf will survive as a magnet for local talent on the boys side. ECNL is great for girls. For boys not so much. I wonder why Surf boys are not participating in MLS Next or Elite Academy (youngers)?

Surf like Strikers couldn't really compete for championship in boys DA and they basically didn't want to spend the $$ to not even make the post season. They felt burned by USSDA and didn't want to go down the path again.

More money in ECNL and they can have both the girls and boys + 2nd teams (RL) in the same platform. Parents are more willing to pay the bigger bucks in that platform vs NEXT which is new and doesn't have all the showcases and other possiblity just yet.

If MLS Next and Elite Academy are the real deal, I don't see how Surf will survive as a magnet for local talent on the boys side. ECNL is great for girls. For boys not so much. I wonder why Surf boys are not participating in MLS Next or Elite Academy (youngers)?
I think two reasons: 1) Surf would play 2nd fiddle to the MLS Academy teams in MLS Next whereas they have much more influence with the ECNL 2) ECNL is clearly the best for girls and Surf, while it has an excellent boys program, Girls are on a whole other level, so Girls drove the decision and having both in the same program makes the most sense.

Surf will continue to be a magnet for talented boys in San Diego at least in the near term. Not as big a magnet as what they have on the girls side, but still strong. MLS Next has a chance to be stronger on the boys side, but it also has a chance to go "poof" like the DA.

Creating a league is easy, Managing a league, not so much. ECNL boys is now much stronger than it was. One of the things we have learned over the years is that the dynamics of highly competitive youth soccer change, too fast for my liking, but no one asks me. ECNL for Surf boys was stronger and much better organized when the DA folded. Time will tell how things are in the future and as we have learned, things will change. I wish we had one elite league nationally, but alas, soccer politics.............

Surf like Strikers couldn't really compete for championship in boys DA and they basically didn't want to spend the $$ to not even make the post season. They felt burned by USSDA and didn't want to go down the path again.

More money in ECNL and they can have both the girls and boys + 2nd teams (RL) in the same platform. Parents are more willing to pay the bigger bucks in that platform vs NEXT which is new and doesn't have all the showcases and other possiblity just yet.
So, being ranked 13th in the Nation with mostly MLS Clubs with higher rankings isn’t competing for the championships? I believe that Surf was the only club other than the Pats that were in tier 1 and very competitive rankings until they folded. All the other DA clubs other than MLS were in tier 2, so that didn’t sit well. Note the difference between competing for championships and winning them. No, that wasn’t the reason, and you can be sure the decision as to which way to go when the DA folded was deliberate and careful. https://www.surfsoccer.com/2020/07/01/soccer-wire-ranks-surf-boys-13/

So, being ranked 13th in the Nation with mostly MLS Clubs with higher rankings isn’t competing for the championships? I believe that Surf was the only club other than the Pats that were in tier 1 and very competitive rankings until they folded. All the other DA clubs other than MLS were in tier 2, so that didn’t sit well. Note the difference between competing for championships and winning them. No, that wasn’t the reason, and you can be sure the decision as to which way to go when the DA folded was deliberate and careful. https://www.surfsoccer.com/2020/07/01/soccer-wire-ranks-surf-boys-13/

They never where in the boys DA championship in 11 years+ and yes that was one reason I was given by multiple people.

13 yr olds teams didnt compete for championship in DA and surf never did in the older ages.

Maybe, but there is a difference between necessary and desirable, and there are still major gaps between ECNL and MLS clubs. Only time will tell if parity comes between clubs. As it is now, Surf and Blues still attract the best girls locally and the same is true on the boys side, at least in San Diego county.
There is also a difference between teams and players. Much of those two clubs' team strength comes from team depth. Many parents there content with kid playing 50% of time or less because of the club name (misperceived "status") so the dropoff isn't as severe when subs come in and goals are scored on an opponent. Other teams have at least a player or two or four just as good if not better than those at McDonald's and Blues. If it wasn't the case then the two wouldn't be constantly recruiting in the parking lots at all ages.

Nomads made the final 4 at u19 just a few years ago. Surf is amazing on the girls side with placement, but meh on the boys side. Look at their u19 team this year. Lots of very good players and so far only two announced as going D1.

There is also a difference between teams and players. Much of those two clubs' team strength comes from team depth. Many parents there content with kid playing 50% of time or less because of the club name (misperceived "status") so the dropoff isn't as severe when subs come in and goals are scored on an opponent. Other teams have at least a player or two or four just as good if not better than those at McDonald's and Blues. If it wasn't the case then the two wouldn't be constantly recruiting in the parking lots at all ages.
My buddy claims his son's team at Surf has 24 players on the roster, 18 dress. Surf tends to have large rosters. I guess you can play full scrimmages at practice!

Girls side and boys side have become quite different. Girls side is 100% about college. ECNL and Surf have done an amazing job there. In order to attract the top boys you need good college placement and a pro pathway. There are dozens of 16-21 year old Americans now skipping college and going pro, many in Europe and plenty in the top leagues in Europe. ECNL has no track-record providing a pro pathway for boys. Surf has a bit of a track record there, but will struggle to keep pace with the MLS clubs and the residency academies like Barca, in that regard.

Honestly you could probably replace the title of this thread with..... Blues, Slammers, Legends, Arsenal, Strikers, West Coast, etc. because everyone has a different experience with a club. There are so many clubs out there (whole other topic) so if one isn't a fit then move on to one that is and remember NO CLUB is perfect.. you have to choose what's best for your child (not you) and enjoy the ride...

Honestly you could probably replace the title of this thread with..... Blues, Slammers, Legends, Arsenal, Strikers, West Coast, etc. because everyone has a different experience with a club. There are so many clubs out there (whole other topic) so if one isn't a fit then move on to one that is and remember NO CLUB is perfect.. you have to choose what's best for your child (not you) and enjoy the ride...

Add " No League is Perfect"

Theres alot of band wagon parents that are claiming MLS Next is the best league out there .

I hope that it is due to the fact that you have some professional teams with Youth teams hopefully Participating, once again hopefully participating....

But you have sub .500 teams or clubs participating as "Chum" for theses elite clubs to snack on.....in the MLS Next.

So a Club like Galaxy is supposed to play De Anza, I like that match up

But Galaxy against a LA Breakers, not so much.

ECNL has proven itself and I hope that works for some, MLS Next hasn't even started so we'll see about that
on the boys side , its still a toss up and obviously whatever league your in is the best.

On a side note I heard Galaxy is still up in the air as too what age groups their going forward with ..this is not a rumor (Arnold Voice)

I still personally dont think we have any league play in 2021.

Not sure how you can say no league play in 2021 when it is already going on. ECNL So Cal teams have already played some league games and they will continue to, whether it is in California or another state. ECNL is playing league games all over the country so the Southwest Conference will find a way to get their games in. Nationals are in June.

Not sure how you can say no league play in 2021 when it is already going on. ECNL So Cal teams have already played some league games and they will continue to, whether it is in California or another state. ECNL is playing league games all over the country so the Southwest Conference will find a way to get their games in. Nationals are in June.

if you wanted to get technical I guess you could say the 3-4 league games you played in AZ count.......lets be honest here , there was never any league play in CA and won't be for a long long time, I dont want another covid talk on a soccer forum but numbers are way worst than they were a year ago . Expect alot of tournaments and friendly games for the next 8-10 months

I got to experience dealing with many of these clubs as a true club hopper. The kids are all amazing at all these clubs btw. If a dad get's his hands on the board or is buddy buddy with the Doc, then it is one big "pay to play" joke!!! If coach runs a tight ship and trains the kids, all is good. I have experienced both environments.

if you wanted to get technical I guess you could say the 3-4 league games you played in AZ count.......lets be honest here , there was never any league play in CA and won't be for a long long time, I dont want another covid talk on a soccer forum but numbers are way worst than they were a year ago . Expect alot of tournaments and friendly games for the next 8-10 months
The numbers are dropping significantly right now. I guess you look at things through a negative lense. I see the glass is half full. And, games will continue to be played in other states if necessary.

The numbers are dropping significantly right now. I guess you look at things through a negative lense. I see the glass is half full. And, games will continue to be played in other states if necessary.
Im a half full type of person myself, but let all hope we get back to it soon, tired of driving to oceanside

Im a half full type of person myself, but let all hope we get back to it soon, tired of driving to oceanside

rates will continue to drop as long as that new more contagios strain doesn’t take over. I heard through a friend that spoke to scdsl’s mgmt that they are on a mission to offer some type of season before June. It could be a shorter season but they don’t want to focus on doing refunds or credits to all those teams that have paid scdsl. I’m hoping that we start on March 19th or no later than April 1.

rates will continue to drop as long as that new more contagios strain doesn’t take over. I heard through a friend that spoke to scdsl’s mgmt that they are on a mission to offer some type of season before June. It could be a shorter season but they don’t want to focus on doing refunds or credits to all those teams that have paid scdsl. I’m hoping that we start on March 19th or no later than April 1.
March 4th is good date I think. Spring Season and then a summer jam tournament. It's all going to get better soon :)

Back