San Diego surf is a joke!!!!

Surf used to have a monopoly on the higher level players as they were the only ECNL club in the San Diego area (before DA existed). Then DA placed some clubs in San Diego, and ECNL added a couple ... there was a lot more competition for Surf. DA has since folded, but there are still other ECNL and GA options there, so Surf is not in the same environment they were a handful of years ago. They are still top dog, but they do have competition for players now.

I am speaking from the girls side. I have no idea about the boys landscape.

The only problem that I see with surf is that apparently they had formal tryouts with tons of kids according to the other poster. Is that allowed? I’ve seen teams announce tryouts but I haven’t seen an entire club announce tryouts on a given day.

From the outside looking in, it seems like San Diego Surf has moved on from the traditional feeder program/development model to more of a recruitment and elevation model. Surf affiliates may operate differently. I could be way off base, but that’s the impression I get.
I would say you are pretty accurate, although this transition took place long ago. I also think there is a misconception as to what development is. Surf develops players. Advance players develop by playing and being coached at the elite level. It just looks different from what is needed to develop the less advanced player. A club has to determine where in that spectrum they fit in. If you were to ask Catarina Macario if she developed at Surf, she would absolutely say yes. It would just look different compared to a kid that lacks fundamental athleticism or skills. Development is needed for both types of players, and rarely do clubs have the ability to serve both equally well. Clubs that tend to compete at national levels obviously have to put winning into the equation. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be a national competitive club.

The only problem that I see with surf is that apparently they had formal tryouts with tons of kids according to the other poster. Is that allowed? I’ve seen teams announce tryouts but I haven’t seen an entire club announce tryouts on a given day.
The entire club Didn’t have tryouts, just the younger ages, and it was spread out over the weekend and I assume you are familiar with the facility, it is huge and there was lots and lots of separation. Parents aren’t allowed on the fields, asked to stay in their cars and if outside, social distance and masks. It was safe

The entire club Didn’t have tryouts, just the younger ages, and it was spread out over the weekend and I assume you are familiar with the facility, it is huge and there was lots and lots of separation. Parents aren’t allowed on the fields, asked to stay in their cars and if outside, social distance and masks. It was safe

No parents?! Can we make this a rule at all tryouts post Covid?

How can they be a joke when they organize a tournament over Christmas break in another state? Or just announced a new tournament in Spain over thanksgiving next year? (for younger players only 2006-2012)

I would say you are pretty accurate, although this transition took place long ago. I also think there is a misconception as to what development is. Surf develops players. Advance players develop by playing and being coached at the elite level. It just looks different from what is needed to develop the less advanced player. A club has to determine where in that spectrum they fit in. If you were to ask Catarina Macario if she developed at Surf, she would absolutely say yes. It would just look different compared to a kid that lacks fundamental athleticism or skills. Development is needed for both types of players, and rarely do clubs have the ability to serve both equally well. Clubs that tend to compete at national levels obviously have to put winning into the equation. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be a national competitive club.
Just to be accurate, most of Surf's best players in recent years--boys and girls-- now playing top college etc.--went there at U13 or older for more exposure. Now, with plenty MLS and ECNL pathways available, the move is nowhere near as necessary. Same can be said for girls w Blues.

Just to be accurate, most of Surf's best players in recent years--boys and girls-- now playing top college etc.--went there at U13 or older for more exposure. Now, with plenty MLS and ECNL pathways available, the move is nowhere near as necessary. Same can be said for girls w Blues.

Very True. Mathew Hoppe out of Schalke (4 goals in 6 games) started with Strikers FC and then 2 years with Barca Academy and on to the Bundesliga. The kid scored 3 goals a few games back. He scored another one this weekend.

Very True. Mathew Hoppe out of Schalke (4 goals in 6 games) started with Strikers FC and then 2 years with Barca Academy and on to the Bundesliga. The kid scored 3 goals a few games back. He scored another one this weekend.

Not everyone have 50K to send their kid to Barca academy, or even more for Schalke academy.

Not everyone have 50K to send their kid to Barca academy, or even more for Schalke academy.

Closer to 75k but who's counting at those amounts.

Matt was a standout even in those days. For those that inspire to play aboard, dominate like he did with hat tricks in the top league and tournaments and you could be on your way also

Closer to 75k but who's counting at those amounts.

Matt was a standout even in those days. For those that inspire to play aboard, dominate like he did with hat tricks in the top league and tournaments and you could be on your way also
I'm not questioning kids ability, but if the kid stayed at Strikers, he would be playing at OCSC at best right now.

If I can still do that, this will definitely change :)
Miracles are happening as I speak. I can touch my toes standing without bending a knee. I have not been able to do that in years. Plus, no back pain. Something is happening to my body and it feels real good. DNA? Stay positive everyone :)

We are living in the greatest time ever. However, we need to learn a very important lesson first before we can all go out and play forever. Dont treat innocent fetuses, babies, children and the elderly like Opium, something to make a buck off or worse. Love you all and I can;t wait to all get a beer after darkness is locked up. Freedom for all is coming, even to my sweet wife who has had to deal with crazy Bill all these years. It was fun but hard if you know what I mean. We really do love each other. Dont let the media divide us.

Maybe, but there is a difference between necessary and desirable, and there are still major gaps between ECNL and MLS clubs. Only time will tell if parity comes between clubs. As it is now, Surf and Blues still attract the best girls locally and the same is true on the boys side, at least in San Diego county.

Maybe, but there is a difference between necessary and desirable, and there are still major gaps between ECNL and MLS clubs. Only time will tell if parity comes between clubs. As it is now, Surf and Blues still attract the best girls locally and the same is true on the boys side, at least in San Diego county.

If MLS Next and Elite Academy are the real deal, I don't see how Surf will survive as a magnet for local talent on the boys side. ECNL is great for girls. For boys not so much. I wonder why Surf boys are not participating in MLS Next or Elite Academy (youngers)?

Back