Reversing a PK Call and Jersey Conflict

So the ref calls a foul for a tackle by a defender in the attackers box. Immediately after blowing the whistle he says "my bad, there is no foul the players just tangled legs". He continues to apologize to the defending team but still gives the attacking team the PK. Am I missing something or are the certain instances where a ref can't change his call before the restart of play? Or did the ref just compound his mistake?

Both teams show up to the game wearing the same color, we are the away team (by a 5 1/2 hour drive). Our coach speaks with their coach and the home team agrees to change their jerseys (consistent with the rules of the league). The refs show up and overrule that decision and make our players change their kits (shirt, short and socks). If both clubs agree to the colors to be worn does the ref have the authority to overrule who wears what (I guess technically the refs have the authority to do anything they want). It just seemed odd.

Referees should use common sense. Some don't. Even if it was high school game with home wearing light and visitors wearing dark, if they've already sorted it out, why even bother? As for making a bad call and then compounding it.... some referees are good. some aren't.

My understanding is as long as a restart has not take place (e.g. the PK has not been taken), the referee can consult ARs and change the call.

If a call cannot be changed, why do we have VAR?

My understanding is as long as a restart has not take place (e.g. the PK has not been taken), the referee can consult ARs and change the call.

If a call cannot be changed, why do we have VAR?

So what's the restart then if the CR consults with the ARs and there's no foul awarded....a dropped ball to the GK under the new rules?

So the ref calls a foul for a tackle by a defender in the attackers box. Immediately after blowing the whistle he says "my bad, there is no foul the players just tangled legs". He continues to apologize to the defending team but still gives the attacking team the PK. Am I missing something or are the certain instances where a ref can't change his call before the restart of play? Or did the ref just compound his mistake?

Both teams show up to the game wearing the same color, we are the away team (by a 5 1/2 hour drive). Our coach speaks with their coach and the home team agrees to change their jerseys (consistent with the rules of the league). The refs show up and overrule that decision and make our players change their kits (shirt, short and socks). If both clubs agree to the colors to be worn does the ref have the authority to overrule who wears what (I guess technically the refs have the authority to do anything they want). It just seemed odd.
Sounds like you had a really inexperienced referee and he blew the whistle and didn't know how to extract himself from the situation. Referees can absolutely change a decision, as long as play hasn't been restarted- something this guy was obviously not aware of. As above, he could have/should have given a dropped ball to the goalkeeper (per last year's law change).

As for the uniform clash, without knowing the league rule, it sounds like an inexperienced/under-educated referee (referee team?) looking for problems where none really exist.

It was the same AZ DA crew and same game in both incidents. CR and one of the AR's looked like the youngest crew we've had in two years of DA. (So maybe it was inexperience, although I've found many of the younger refs to be very capable) The SoCal DA refs seem to be more proficient than the AZ refs...in my judgement, or maybe just my own bias against anything Arizona related :p.

It was the same AZ DA crew and same game in both incidents. CR and one of the AR's looked like the youngest crew we've had in two years of DA. (So maybe it was inexperience, although I've found many of the younger refs to be very capable) The SoCal DA refs seem to be more proficient than the AZ refs...in my judgement, or maybe just my own bias against anything Arizona related :p.
That would align with what I've heard tbf.

How do you know what the ref called? Could it be he felt bad about the call but had to stand by it because he felt it was the right call.... the color thing is ridiculous I agree.

How do you know what the ref called? Could it be he felt bad about the call but had to stand by it because he felt it was the right call.... the color thing is ridiculous I agree.
Because every kid except our keeper heard him say it and he kept repeating it. Our coach heard it as well. Now I'm normally skeptical about what a 12 year old tells me about a game, but since their stories seemed to be verbatim I'm going to assume it was true. I've since heard about some additional questionable behavior from the ref that puts these calls in some context, but at the end of the day it didn't really have any impact on the outcome, score yes, outcome no.

Back