• LA without day camp guidance

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • OTH under day camp guidance

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • OTH without day camp guidance

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ALL No dates have be given

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Tournament or full game play in July or August.

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope I am wrong and I hope we all of a sudden see a steep decline in hospitalizations. That would be great. My point has always been, the lock downs aren't about preventing anyone from dying...it started because of capacity concerns and various levels of shut down continue because of capacity concerns. I hope the recent mandates changes the picture such that our kids will be allowed to play soccer normally in the fall some time. We won't know that for another 14 to 21 days.

I don't think we'll see a steep decline. The LA pattern will likely show a peak sometime between now and 3 weeks out followed by a very slow decline). That's based just on trig and the curves and what ours looks like in relation to the others, on the assumption it's mathematically rigid, and the decline in social distancing which will slow that process down.

I don't think we'll see a steep decline. The LA pattern will likely show a peak sometime between now and 3 weeks out followed by a very slow decline). That's based just on trig and the curves and what ours looks like in relation to the others, on the assumption it's mathematically rigid, and the decline in social distancing which will slow that process down.
It is so hard to look at any patterns because the protests and opening up occurred simultaneously. Yeah I do not see any steep decline coming but the slow decline would be nice but doubtful. We shall see.

Well we know this because of 1 location: Sweden. Sweden has been much criticized for doing nothing to slow the spread (it's not really true...they did social distance, but didn't have a hard lock down). But in the past couple weeks both cases and deaths have fallen despite a new emphasis on the government on testing. The other major revision was revising their nursing home protocols. It shouldn't have happened under the models, but it did, which has the so-called experts baffled. The other hard hit European countries also aren't at herd immunity but have opened faster than we have (my son's little UK GK pen pal was out of school maybe a month and just wrapped up).

I agreed with you on the reclosing. It's just my opinion they are stupid and won't do very much, because I suspect most of the transmission is taking place at private homes (my neighbors had a kegger 2 weekends ago a big BBQ over the 4th...young 20 somethings).
Oddly enough, this came up today. New York times reported it too but I didn't want to pay to read it. https://www.seattletimes.com/business/sweden-has-become-the-worlds-cautionary-tale/

Well we know this because of 1 location: Sweden. Sweden has been much criticized for doing nothing to slow the spread (it's not really true...they did social distance, but didn't have a hard lock down). But in the past couple weeks both cases and deaths have fallen despite a new emphasis on the government on testing. The other major revision was revising their nursing home protocols. It shouldn't have happened under the models, but it did, which has the so-called experts baffled. The other hard hit European countries also aren't at herd immunity but have opened faster than we have (my son's little UK GK pen pal was out of school maybe a month and just wrapped up).

I agreed with you on the reclosing. It's just my opinion they are stupid and won't do very much, because I suspect most of the transmission is taking place at private homes (my neighbors had a kegger 2 weekends ago a big BBQ over the 4th...young 20 somethings).

BTW, here's the counter that shows the limited utility of masks: Japan. Japan has a long history of universal mask wearing. Unlike our society, they aren't removing them for discussions or wearing them under their nose. They aren't using bandanas. Everyone said in June that Japan shows what universal mask wearing can do. But Japan is undergoing a second mini wave (because their first wasn't very much, and their wave like ours seems to be taking place where previously did not have outbreaks leading credence to the waves are rigid and you just have to go through them theory). If masks were the magic bullet, the numbers shouldn't be rising in Japan. But it's getting warm there and people are going indoors and like us aren't always wearing their masks when they around with a friend inside. So what happens, they get a little mini wave which shouldn't be possible if masks were such a magic bullet.

Don't get me wrong. I think masks do mitigate things. If I were emperor I would put in place a mask program so every American had a mask better than a surgical math, cloth masks, or bandana. But then I probably wouldn't have done premature lockdowns or sent COVID positive patients back into nursing homes, and I'd probably hard shut the southern border. Beyond that nothing much has made a material impact.
Japan has had fewer infections in 6 months than Florida has had in 2 days.

The “mini wave” in Japan is very, very, small. You’re right that masks are not the only thing we need. But they sure look like a decent sized step in the right direction.

The CFR continues to fall and is now below what we consider epidemic proportions.

Do you have a link to a study or report that shows this -- genuinely would be interested to read up on something that claims what CFR defines an epidemic and where the CFR is currently falling.

Do you have a link to a study or report that shows this -- genuinely would be interested to read up on something that claims what CFR defines an epidemic and where the CFR is currently falling.

The CFR is the case fatality rate (that's not the IFR which is how deadly the thing is). The IFR is a fixed number. The CFR declines the less deadly the thing is. It's less deadly because it's hitting younger people and other states haven't replicated the disastrous policy of the northeast of putting nursing home residents and workers that test positive back in nursing homes. It's also declined because we are doing a lot more testing and catching some of those asymptomatic cases.

I'll give you a cite (because I'm lazy and busy and it's the first one I've found), that even while acknowledging what I'm saying (the CFR is falling) makes the opposite case and says things are still bad. It relies on the fact that deaths are a lagging indicator but it doesn't know things will get worse. I suspect they will in the sunbelt, but not significantly, because almost half of all deaths in the north east were from care facilities and we are doing better in patrolling that (at a minimum by not sending COVID positive patients back or allowing workers that test positive to work there). So both "sides" will ultimately claim victory: the antipanic group by saying it wasn't as bad as New York, the panic group by saying you see there was a bump.

Sorry...I laughed when I read your post because it is sooooo over dramatic. I adopted my oldest daughter from an orphanage when she was 4.5 years old and she suffers from developmental trauma and severe depression moderate recurrent. In all of my research over the years related to Trauma, never once did I read trauma caused by not being able to play a sport. I did read about Trauma caused by social isolation but the reality is, social media has helped alleviate that issue. Also the kids can meet in a park socially distanced, can go for a walk socially distanced, and meet at Starbucks socially distanced. My daughter is pretty tenacious and has found many alternatives. Does this suck for them? Absolutely! Trauma from it? Highly unlikely.

What I did read is trauma caused by themselves ending up in the hospital, a parent or other family member ending up in the hospital or dying, or the rest of the obvious abuse and the like. Like GKMOM said, they have found alternatives. This is a great opportunity to teach children coping skills and how to look for solutions instead of at the problem.
How about the trauma the Trump victory caused you?
Does that count?

I could have said that your body of work on this topic makes you look like you are an advocate for a certain point of view no matter what the facts are, but I didn't want to insult your integrity.

Well, isn't Fauci? Trump? Cuomo? Keepermom?

I've been pretty consistent on this. Not the flu but I do think we are overreacting and in an irrational panic. If I were emperor I wouldn't shut down school or youth sports at least for the fall (it's not where the transmission is). Wouldn't have given the protests a free pass, don't like the large scale gatherings going on in private homes either, didn't think an indoor Trump rally was a good idea either. I would have done a mask program early on (said Fauci was full of s--- from the beginning) and would have mobilized resources to produce masks that might actually help (not bandanas and stupid surgical masks). I wouldn't have locked down the South when they did (would have waited several weeks), I would have locked down New York, and though the Constitution doesn't allow it if I were emperor I probably would have shut travel from NY if I were emperor as well as the southern border to even US citizens. I wouldn't have sent sick people back into nursing homes. And no, that would have been without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Beyond that there's not much that governments can do. Some got lucky in their timing and some didn't. This is going to happen, unfortunately, and there's not a whole lot we can do to control it. I know that's uncomfortable in our "we must do something" society but there's really not a whole to be done. Governments, left and right, democratic and authoritarian, have failed around the world at controlling the thing.

I've been pretty consistent on this. Not the flu but I do think we are overreacting and in an irrational panic. If I were emperor I wouldn't shut down school or youth sports at least for the fall (it's not where the transmission is). Wouldn't have given the protests a free pass, don't like the large scale gatherings going on in private homes either, didn't think an indoor Trump rally was a good idea either. I would have done a mask program early on (said Fauci was full of s--- from the beginning) and would have mobilized resources to produce masks that might actually help (not bandanas and stupid surgical masks). I wouldn't have locked down the South when they did (would have waited several weeks), I would have locked down New York, and though the Constitution doesn't allow it if I were emperor I probably would have shut travel from NY if I were emperor as well as the southern border to even US citizens. I wouldn't have sent sick people back into nursing homes. And no, that would have been without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Beyond that there's not much that governments can do. Some got lucky in their timing and some didn't. This is going to happen, unfortunately, and there's not a whole lot we can do to control it. I know that's uncomfortable in our "we must do something" society but there's really not a whole to be done. Governments, left and right, democratic and authoritarian, have failed around the world at controlling the thing.

None of that impacts my opinion of your performance.

Well, a lot of the reporting was before Sweden took a turn for the better. I agree they made a mistake, but the Swedish example hows even if you don't lock down, the initial wave does eventually burn out.
That is not what it shows at all and by the way...this was reported today.

None of that impacts my opinion of your performance.

Well, you can't win em all I guess. Your critique is noted. I let my record though speak for itself: knew how this would play out well back in January (and took steps to prepare personally, in business, and at my son's school), nailed the shutdown almost within the week a month out, nailed the stock market crash to the day (as well as the subsequent so-so recovery), the pattern over the summer in Socal, the IFR to less than .1 of a decimal point (when the WHO was saying 3%), the asymptomatic transmission, and both the current patterns in the US and Europe. Was wrong about Australia... at least so far.....

Look at the Swedish charts (both death and reported). It's very clear they are on the down slope of their wave.
I think you are reaching to make yourself right. I think the headline is clear...Certified Failure.

I think you are reaching to make yourself right. I think the headline is clear...Certified Failure.

Well, I'm in good company then since everyone else has as well. As with espola, though, I'll let me track record speak for itself. Can't really argue with you if you refuse to acknowledge the clear numbers.

Back