• LA without day camp guidance

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • OTH under day camp guidance

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • OTH without day camp guidance

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • ALL No dates have be given

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Tournament or full game play in July or August.

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clarification on restrictions or cities not going along with the camp guidance anymore?
"
New Restrictions on Youth Sports

Along with the closing of indoor operations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, youth sports are not allowed under current state guidelines. Many counties, including the County of San Bernardino, were under the impression that youth sports for purposes of conditioning, drills and exercise activities were allowed with social distancing, frequent hand washing and use of masks when closer than six feet or indoors. However, according to the state this is not the case.

At this time recreational team and youth sports of any kind, including purposes of conditioning, drills and exercise activities are not permitted. It is unfortunate and we understand that children would like the opportunity to participate in their normal team activities but now is not the time to let our guard down. We will share official guidelines for recreational team and youth sports when they are made available by the state. In the meantime, we encourage you to do your part to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Apparently Brea and other cities in OC are taking or considering not permitted youth sports of any kind? Sad if true, but what's the latest? Practicing still on for this week on the OC?

I'm trying to judge, probably incorrectly, how everyone here feels about getting their kid back out there to practice and play. Training is one thing, but once (if) games startup, soccer is a contact sport, so none of these kids are going to be able to "social distance" while playing.

I'm curious if you think your kid is going to catch it and if it's a big deal.

I don't think much will come of it if one of my kids gets it. They're young and healthy and my wife and I will be fine, so I'm not really worried about it, just curious to see what others in this position think about the whole thing without getting political about it.

I think for the most part everything about this is being blown out of proportion, but that's for another thread.

No and big no. There is no evidence of any material outbreaks in the country from kids playing sports and in some states kids have been playing for awhile. Some child care has been open the entire time, particularly for essential workers, and there is no evidence of kids contracting and spreading Covid. Use common sense, certainly temp check kids before play and make parents to physically distance 6ft or wear a mask. It's pretty simple.

I'm trying to judge, probably incorrectly, how everyone here feels about getting their kid back out there to practice and play. Training is one thing, but once (if) games startup, soccer is a contact sport, so none of these kids are going to be able to "social distance" while playing.

I don't think much will come of it if one of my kids gets it. They're young and healthy and my wife and I will be fine, so I'm not really worried about it, just curious to see what others in this position think about the whole thing without getting political about it.

I think for the most part everything about this is being blown out of proportion, but that's for another thread.

We live around the corner from a nursing home that had approximately 20 deaths a few months ago. When they cleared the facility, ambulances came in pairs for hours and hours. We were sheltering in place and watched them all come and go down our street all day long.

My wife and I also work in places that are impacted by COVID-19. My wife sees the positive test rate going up every week. I see the impact the the ER and ICU in the hospital where I work.

For a long time, we were waiting for the wave to hit. It finally did.

We have loved club soccer. My daughter had a great run, and my son was just hitting his stride in his run. To me, everything is different now, and soccer is non-essential.

Part of what I consider, is the risk of dying, which may be low. Other things I consider are the cost of an ICU stay, the cost of hospitalization, and even just the lost wages that come with being COVID-positive.

I always hear concerning statistics about how the number once cause of bankruptcy is medical expenses. Club soccer is a luxury that won’t survive bankruptcy.

My daughter now plays in college. My hope is that there won’t be a season, and she will focus on her studies. We anticipate keeping our son out of club soccer this year. We paid his fees in full and will not seek a refund because we want to support our coach and club.

One reason we currently keep my son out of training is because as seriously as the club takes infection control, it is not clear to us that every other family at training does, so it is not worth the risk. Games with strangers in the foreseeable future? No way.

“Tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when you get run over by a car.” I do not expect other families to keep my family safe. My wife and I are willing to take the responsibility to keep our kids from playing in traffic.

The best freely accessible source of information in my opinion comes from CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota.

The Osterholm Update is an excellent podcast produced by CIDRAP that is well worth listing to weekly.

I am fortunate to have many sources of medical information to choose from, and I keep mentioning this one because it provides the most comprehensive perspective.

Best of luck to all. Be safe.

We live around the corner from a nursing home that had approximately 20 deaths a few months ago. When they cleared the facility, ambulances came in pairs for hours and hours. We were sheltering in place and watched them all come and go down our street all day long.

My wife and I also work in places that are impacted by COVID-19. My wife sees the positive test rate going up every week. I see the impact the the ER and ICU in the hospital where I work.

We have loved club soccer. My daughter had a great run, and my son was just hitting his stride in his run. To me, everything is different now, and soccer is non-essential.

Part of what I consider, is the risk of dying, which may be low. Other things I consider are the cost of an ICU stay, the cost of hospitalization, and even just the lost wages that come with being COVID-positive.

I always hear concerning statistics about how the number once cause of bankruptcy is medical expenses. Club soccer is a luxury that won’t survive bankruptcy.

My daughter now plays in college. My hope is that there won’t be a season, and she will focus on her studies. We anticipate keeping our son out of club soccer this year. We paid his fees in full and will not seek a refund because we want to support our coach and club.

One reason we currently keep my son out of training is because as seriously as the club takes infection control, it is not clear to us that every other family at training does, so it is not worth the risk. Games with strangers in the foreseeable future? No way.

“Tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when you get run over by a car.” I do not expect other families to keep my family safe. My wife and I are willing to take the responsibility to keep our kids from playing in traffic.

The best freely accessible source of information in my opinion comes from CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota.

The Osterholm Update is an excellent podcast produced by CIDRAP that is well worth listing to weekly.

I am fortunate to have many sources of medical information to choose from, and I keep mentioning this one because it provides the most comprehensive perspective.

Thank you for this perspective. It seems that many on here have a different perspective. Which is, there is no risk to kids so let them play. What I think this perspective misses is the risk of spread, not only among players, but parents as well. It's not as simple as wear a mask, stay six feet apart. People come with good intentions, but it's easy to slip up and unfortunately there's always at least one asshole who doesn't follow the rules. Not to mention the players that are in their teens and can get sick and spread the virus. I choose to follow the advice of the medical experts, not the soccer parents who think they know more than them.

The moral of the story is to do whatever the heck you can to keep your parents from nursing homes. So sad to see old people just dropped off at nursing home and then they catch the Corona and die because no one is watching over them ((not all, some good ones but....)). Anyway, I agree that soccer is non essential and my dd has moved on with other sports and activities. She and I have a 5% hope she can play one more game. Stay safe folks!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for this perspective. It seems that many on here have a different perspective. Which is, there is no risk to kids so let them play. What I think this perspective misses is the risk of spread, not only among players, but parents as well. It's not as simple as wear a mask, stay six feet apart. People come with good intentions, but it's easy to slip up and unfortunately there's always at least one asshole who doesn't follow the rules. Not to mention the players that are in their teens and can get sick and spread the virus. I choose to follow the advice of the medical experts, not the soccer parents who think they know more than them.
No risk is true. The only risk to our family is Grandpa and Grandma on my wife side. We have not seen them in 6 months. That is by choice. My mom would have 100% stay home so kids can play. BTW, rule breakers are everywhere and it goes all the way to the top.

Last edited:
I have a different perspective. It's very hard for me to follow advise of so called "experts" when they change their advise every day. I have no problem wearing a mask and with having pre-teen kids sitting at home, but good luck with having teens locked up. Long term mental result of this will be devastating.

I have a different perspective. It's very hard for me to follow advise of so called "experts" when they change their advise every day. I have no problem wearing a mask and with having pre-teen kids sitting at home, but good luck with having teens locked up. Long term mental result of this will be devastating.
The teens are out!!! I know so many stories I just won;t share them here because we have snitches paroling Social Media big time. I will say the news is really good on the virus but not so good with other teen issues. Good luck parents and be there to listen to the kids.

I'm not locking my teen up by any means. Just finding alternative activities. Cycling, hiking, running, tennis, lots of safe outings with friends. Just not contact sports with coronavirus denier parents on the sidelines for us right now. Also, the advice of medical experts seems pretty consistent. Sure, some recommendations have changed as they learn more about this brand new virus.

What has happened at our nursing homes is horrific and the failure of leadership in some areas for not providing extreme targeted protection is criminal.

Thank you for the CIDRAP link. I did a search on "youth Covid" on CIDRAP and I didn't see any article regarding youth outbreaks or evidence of youth spread of Covid to older adults. Other than one mention of a breakout among youth at a detention facility in Louisiana. In contrast there were a few articles, or links, to articles about the concern for the non-Covid health impacts of "school closings, social distancing, overwhelming numbers of distressing public health messages, and cancelation of non-urgent healthcare visits" for vulnerable or at risk youth (ie low socioeconomic families).

In fact a link to an article from the American Academy of Pedriatrics said this about social distancing, sheltering in place with abusive parents, lack of health treatment for other health issues (including mental).
"These conditions highlight how morbidity and mortality in vulnerable pediatric populations will likely extend beyond the pandemic itself."

Please don't listen to me or any other soccer parent regarding the risks to youth of Covid. But please do your own research and don't just assume youth are at high risk or are spreaders of Covid because your a victim of the fear mongering you hear on TV.

What has happened at our nursing homes is horrific and the failure of leadership in some areas for not providing extreme targeted protection is criminal.

Thank you for the CIDRAP link. I did a search on "youth Covid" on CIDRAP and I didn't see any article regarding youth outbreaks or evidence of youth spread of Covid to older adults. Other than one mention of a breakout among youth at a detention facility in Louisiana. In contrast there were a few articles, or links, to articles about the concern for the non-Covid health impacts of "school closings, social distancing, overwhelming numbers of distressing public health messages, and cancelation of non-urgent healthcare visits" for vulnerable or at risk youth (ie low socioeconomic families).

In fact a link to an article from the American Academy of Pedriatrics said this about social distancing, sheltering in place with abusive parents, lack of health treatment for other health issues (including mental).
"These conditions highlight how morbidity and mortality in vulnerable pediatric populations will likely extend beyond the pandemic itself."

Please don't listen to me or any other soccer parent regarding the risks to youth of Covid. But please do your own research and don't just assume youth are at high risk or are spreaders of Covid because your a victim of the fear mongering you hear on TV.
The things going on in these abusive homes in so scary, no one is talking about it. No father to help the boy treat the girls with respect and no respect for adults. My higher ed friend said many teachers who make the drive to LA are not coming back without school police and safety. I'm not sure a white teacher at LAUSD is going to be successful or have respect in the class anymore. A white history teacher should not be even listen too. This is real politics folks and the adults who don;t want to lose power are not going to give up, regardless of what happens to old people, teens or babies that are not born yet. We ALL get to decide Nov 3rd what direction you want for you, your loved ones and the future generations to come. I will support whatever happens Nov 3rd.

The teens are out!!! I know so many stories I just won;t share them here because we have snitches paroling Social Media big time. I will say the news is really good on the virus but not so good with other teen issues. Good luck parents and be there to listen to the kids.
What is the good news on the Virus?

I'm not locking my teen up by any means. Just finding alternative activities. Cycling, hiking, running, tennis, lots of safe outings with friends. Just not contact sports with coronavirus denier parents on the sidelines for us right now. Also, the advice of medical experts seems pretty consistent. Sure, some recommendations have changed as they learn more about this brand new virus.
Agree totally. I don't rely only on government medical experts. Large amounts of highly regarded medical experts are also concluding with similar findings.

Sorry...I laughed when I read your post because it is sooooo over dramatic. I adopted my oldest daughter from an orphanage when she was 4.5 years old and she suffers from developmental trauma and severe depression moderate recurrent. In all of my research over the years related to Trauma, never once did I read trauma caused by not being able to play a sport. I did read about Trauma caused by social isolation but the reality is, social media has helped alleviate that issue. Also the kids can meet in a park socially distanced, can go for a walk socially distanced, and meet at Starbucks socially distanced. My daughter is pretty tenacious and has found many alternatives. Does this suck for them? Absolutely! Trauma from it? Highly unlikely.

What I did read is trauma caused by themselves ending up in the hospital, a parent or other family member ending up in the hospital or dying, or the rest of the obvious abuse and the like. Like GKMOM said, they have found alternatives. This is a great opportunity to teach children coping skills and how to look for solutions instead of at the problem.

Back