• Students choice once a semester any of three choices

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other: something not stated use comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Hound

PREMIER
State superintendent Tony Thurmond releases guidance for reopening California schools

SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- California's Department of Education on Monday released a detailed how-to guide to safely reopen schools in the age of face masks and physical distancing.

"Classrooms need to be laid out in a way that ensures students can stay 6 feet apart at all times. Schools buses should also have limited capacity to allow students to space out.

All staff are being asked to wear face coverings or a clear face shield that allows students to see their expressions.

Students will be required to wear face coverings at a minimum: waiting to enter school, while on school grounds (except while eating), leaving schools and on school buses. Districts also have the option to mandate face coverings for students in the classroom.

In cafeterias, self-service buffets and shared tables are going to suspended. Students may eat their lunches in the classroom, spaced out at their desks.

The Department of Education also provides districts with four scheduling options that will make it easier to space students out:
  • "Two day rotation blended learning model": For example, grades K-3 attend school Monday/Wednesday, while grades 4-6 attend on Tuesday/Thursday. All students do distance learning Friday.
  • "A/B week blended learning model": Half of students across all grades attend school Monday-Thursday one week, the other half the following week, and so forth. All students do distance learning on Friday.
  • "Looping structure": Younger students may stay with the same teacher for multiple grades and in a smaller cohort. For example, a small group of students will have the same teacher for 1st then 2nd grade.
  • "Early/late staggered schedules": Grade levels could have staggered start times, or an AM/PM rotation, to avoid congregating in common spaces.
There is no one size fits all solution," said Chief Deputy Superintendent Stephanie Gregson. "There are no mandates within this document."
If you thought public education shall we say was lacking before. Just wait till students and parents participate in the above.

Mosafie

SILVER
Our school district has already said that online will be available for all students. They sent out a survey that came back indicated a lot of parents are still nervous sending their kids to school. Some have elderly or at risk individuals in the household. District will have to offer online regardless of if school is open or not.

School districts are going to have a difficult time doing a hybrid model, keeping social distancing, face coverings, all with reduced funding.

They are going to lose a bunch of teachers to retirement.

In regards to soccer, if schools are closed then a bunch of practice fields are closed.

The AM/PM model would also be a problem trying to get to practice.

watfly

PREMIER
This is what my son's district, middle and elementary, is proposing (I'm concerned this will be a total cluster):

Schools will reopen to students for the 2020-21 school year in August. To accommodate individual family needs students will have the option of 100% Distance Learning, a hybrid schedule providing 2-3 days a week of in school time with the remainder under distance learning at home, or 100% in classroom learning 5 days a week (normal school schedule) as school capacity allows.

My suspicion is that its being done this way for liability reasons.

jpeter

PREMIER
Our district hasn't announced their final plans just yet but strongly indicated it will be hybrid. Just don't have enough resources:; space, teachers, etc to go all in person

My player is going to be senior so he enrolled in community college this summer and is taking courses, 1 semester of CC level courses are good for 2 HS semesters. Might just be able to graduate after one more semester of HS plus summer CC. He thought the HS online stuff was just way too easy.

Our local CC already announced online only for the summer & fall. He wants to have at least one more semester of the HS experience but if it's online only think he may just stick with Community Colleague course work instead. Hybrid don't know see how things go.

watfly

PREMIER
This is what my son's district, middle and elementary, is proposing (I'm concerned this will be a total cluster):

Schools will reopen to students for the 2020-21 school year in August. To accommodate individual family needs students will have the option of 100% Distance Learning, a hybrid schedule providing 2-3 days a week of in school time with the remainder under distance learning at home, or 100% in classroom learning 5 days a week (normal school schedule) as school capacity allows.

My suspicion is that its being done this way for liability reasons.
I just read the district's 11 page reopening plan and it reads like a giant social reengineering program. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I just can't reconcile the risk to children (actually the miniscule risk to most citizens) versus the complete restructuring of our education system with completely unproven programming. There is something else going on here. For those students that choose the in-school learning option, the students will effectively be tethered to their desk. PE has been replaced with Movement, which is basically dancing at your desk. The whole thing is bizarre. My biggest concern is that once this is implemented, it will remain permanent (just like many other government programs).

Dof3

SILVER
I just read the district's 11 page reopening plan and it reads like a giant social reengineering program. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I just can't reconcile the risk to children (actually the miniscule risk to most citizens) versus the complete restructuring of our education system with completely unproven programming. There is something else going on here. For those students that choose the in-school learning option, the students will effectively be tethered to their desk. PE has been replaced with Movement, which is basically dancing at your desk. The whole thing is bizarre. My biggest concern is that once this is implemented, it will remain permanent (just like many other government programs).
America has lost its mind. These limitations are necessary because they don't have resources? So let's implement a policy structure that interferes with opportunity for people to return to work, earn money and pay taxes. That will help next year, right? Let's close some businesses and encourage people - who are now adapted to working remotely - to leave the state so they can live a better life elsewhere? This is like a company with a revenue problem firing its sales staff to save money. How long is that going to work? Who on this board thinks it is reasonable that the CDC has issued guidelines about coding deaths that encourage a person who is shot to death at a time that person has, is suspected to have, or who even previously had, COVID to be counted as a COVID death? And what sense does it make for governmental authorities to make decisions based on that kind of data? And somehow, according to these same health experts, a citizen's objection to these restrictions is necessarily based in white supremacy? Huh? Did someone explain that to the non-white people who think these lockdowns are stupid? What part of medical school is focused on social justice and white supremacy? And all of this despite real data evidencing increased suicides, divorces, joblessness, child abuse and on and on and on. Why are health experts not focused on that? What happened to first do no harm? I had a Cox representative here at my house yesterday because of a service problem. He is not permitted to come into my house, even alone in the room with the equipment is, but it was fine if I brought the equipment outside and sat with him in his van while he tested it. And who thinks this is good policy? The examples are endless. It is hard to see an explanation other than an idiot, a person with a different agenda or an idiot with a different agenda.

Mosafie

SILVER
So you think someone decided to infect the world with Covid so they can keep your kid from running around during class?

Well the other option is all the kids can stay home until this is over. Away from the so call government reengineering machine that seeks to change children into their robot zombies machines.

Some portions of this will probably remain much like some asian countries such as Hong Kong and Taiwan after the SARs virus. That's why those countries have been virtually unharmed by Covid today. They had a system in place. I'm sure their older citizens that remain alive appreciate that.

It hasn't affected their learning process since their education systems ranks much higher that the US.

So if your dd or son have ADD and other "I can;t sit still" issues their in for a world of hurt. I would go crazy and be kicked out of this program when I was a kid. Odd to do all this with zero deaths for kids.

watfly

PREMIER
And all of this despite real data evidencing increased suicides, divorces, joblessness, child abuse and on and on and on. Why are health experts not focused on that?
The medical professionals that are actually treating people, as opposed to the university lab epidemiologists, are very concerned and focused on the non-covid health impacts of the lockdown and social distancing. They believe that the non-covid health impacts will be much greater than the covid health impacts. I posted this elsewhere but this graphic is circulating at the highest levels of our health care system illustrating the much greater significance of the non-covid health problems.IMG_2433.JPG

America has lost its mind. These limitations are necessary because they don't have resources? So let's implement a policy structure that interferes with opportunity for people to return to work, earn money and pay taxes. That will help next year, right? Let's close some businesses and encourage people - who are now adapted to working remotely - to leave the state so they can live a better life elsewhere? This is like a company with a revenue problem firing its sales staff to save money. How long is that going to work? Who on this board thinks it is reasonable that the CDC has issued guidelines about coding deaths that encourage a person who is shot to death at a time that person has, is suspected to have, or who even previously had, COVID to be counted as a COVID death? And what sense does it make for governmental authorities to make decisions based on that kind of data? And somehow, according to these same health experts, a citizen's objection to these restrictions is necessarily based in white supremacy? Huh? Did someone explain that to the non-white people who think these lockdowns are stupid? What part of medical school is focused on social justice and white supremacy? And all of this despite real data evidencing increased suicides, divorces, joblessness, child abuse and on and on and on. Why are health experts not focused on that? What happened to first do no harm? I had a Cox representative here at my house yesterday because of a service problem. He is not permitted to come into my house, even alone in the room with the equipment is, but it was fine if I brought the equipment outside and sat with him in his van while he tested it. And who thinks this is good policy? The examples are endless. It is hard to see an explanation other than an idiot, a person with a different agenda or an idiot with a different agenda.
I got a good chuckle on this one quote of yours. True story. Swifty, the new CFO gave some really bad advice to the CEO. Basically, Swifty didn't like the fact that four of the top sales folks were making 80% of the loot so they cut their commissions big time ((Fired really)) to save the company money and having to lay off the graphics people because times were slow they said and revenue was down. Dumb ass move. Those four started their own Yellow Page Directory and made a killing and the other company went OB.

Copa9

GOLD
While I can understand the support for a hybrid approach, there are too many kids that struggle with any portion being online. The problem is compounded for those kids whose parents don't take an active interest in their kids' academics or are unable to do so due to their employment situation or own lack of education. Furthermore, some kids live in a home environment that abusive and school is one of the safe places they can go to get a break at least for a few hours.

We need to be creative problem solvers to provide safe in-person education. Let's spread the kids out across campus. Use the gym, the cafeteria, the multi purpose rooms, etc for classes. How often does it rain in SoCal? Move the kids' learning outdoors. Put up canopies if you need to.

I know we're talking about K-12 educaton, but I'm very concerned for college online learning. I know quite a few students that are talking about taking a gap year if they're college is doing online classes. Once you leave college mid-education for whatever reason it is very difficult to come back. Is this going to cause a problem for businesses in a few years when the number of new college grads is limited? Another concern is that the universities that are going online only in the fall seem intent on charging the same tuition, which is highway robbery.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day the student and/or the parent will have very little say as to what will happen. The teachers' union will ultimately be the final decision maker.
o
Elementary schools in our area don't have gyms or cafeterias. Multi purpose rooms are used at lunch time for "cafeteria" lines in many instances. So do kids drag their chairs and desks outside everyday or do they sit on the grass or should I say dirt (in many cases) or even asphalt? Are they to write on little white boards? And when it is over a hundred degrees or close to that, how many canopies would you need to safely distance the students? Sitting in the sun all day is exhausting, and what happens when the Santa Ana winds blow? Reading groups would be interesting as would teaching math. I guess the teacher could use flash cards. When it is recess time, and there will be many because they want to limit the number of students out, do the students move their desks back inside so kids can play? With the kids learning outside, where do they wash their hands? I wonder how many bottles of hand sanitizer it would take to make it through the week. It certainly would be different. When I was in middle school we went on split sessions, 7:30-11:30 and 12:30-4:30 or was it 8:00-11:30 and 12:30-4:00, ?) for an entire school year as a new school was being built and we were a highly impacted school. It can work, and by the way, we all survived and did just fine.

Mosafie

SILVER
The medical professionals that are actually treating people, as opposed to the university lab epidemiologists, are very concerned and focused on the non-covid health impacts of the lockdown and social distancing. They believe that the non-covid health impacts will be much greater than the covid health impacts. I posted this elsewhere but this graphic is circulating at the highest levels of our health care system illustrating the much greater significance of the non-covid health problems.View attachment 7649
Everything in that graph is Covid related.

The graph indicates all the effects of a pandemic (more specifically treating covid patients)and their timeline in terms of when we will see their impact directly on the healthcare system.

The graph shows the direct impact of covid on the healthcare system period.

That graph has nothing do with social distancing or lockdown. If anything a lack of such measure would have an even greater effect on the health care system.

You are misinterpreting it and using it out if context.

o
Elementary schools in our area don't have gyms or cafeterias. Multi purpose rooms are used at lunch time for "cafeteria" lines in many instances. So do kids drag their chairs and desks outside everyday or do they sit on the grass or should I say dirt (in many cases) or even asphalt? Are they to write on little white boards? And when it is over a hundred degrees or close to that, how many canopies would you need to safely distance the students? Sitting in the sun all day is exhausting, and what happens when the Santa Ana winds blow? Reading groups would be interesting as would teaching math. I guess the teacher could use flash cards. When it is recess time, and there will be many because they want to limit the number of students out, do the students move their desks back inside so kids can play? With the kids learning outside, where do they wash their hands? I wonder how many bottles of hand sanitizer it would take to make it through the week. It certainly would be different. When I was in middle school we went on split sessions, 7:30-11:30 and 12:30-4:30 or was it 8:00-11:30 and 12:30-4:00, ?) for an entire school year as a new school was being built and we were a highly impacted school. It can work, and by the way, we all survived and did just fine.
I would take my money and go Charter or Private. Everything you just wrote made me feel ill. The only success I had in Elementary school was PE and recess. I owned the courts and fields. Poor kids.

watfly

PREMIER
o
The split school day is great idea. Anything to get kids back to school for in person education is fine with me.

watfly

PREMIER
Everything in that graph is Covid related.

The graph indicates all the effects of a pandemic (more specifically treating covid patients)and their timeline in terms of when we will see their impact directly on the healthcare system.

The graph shows the direct impact of covid on the healthcare system period.

That graph has nothing do with social distancing or lockdown. If anything a lack of such measure would have an even greater effect on the health care system.

You are misinterpreting it and using it out if context.
Not according to a chief of staff for the largest healthcare provider in California. Nice try though.

Mind boggling how our national leadership COMPLETELY failed us on this thing. A tragedy. We are supposed to be the greatest nation...and we were the worst at handling this pandemic.

lafalafa

SILVER ELITE
I don't know about the poll but if you give some kids the option of online only or in person hybrid a greater % of kids will prefer online only and won't want to bother going for a few days with all the new restrictions getting to school even earlier, no pe, lunch, recess, etc.