Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other: something not stated use comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpeter

PREMIER
LA county school opening guidelines released to give you a idea:

"A framework for reopening schools released Wednesday, May 27 by the Los Angeles County Department of Education reveals potentially stark changes to the traditional school day for some 2 million students and their families.The 2020-21 school year redesigned for the pandemic could include:

Classroom limits of 16 students

Staggered restroom and playground use
One-way hallways
Cloth face coverings mandatory for all
Isolation rooms and emergency plans if students or staff members become ill

So would you support a hybrid approach of mixed online and in-person classes?

Online only?

In person only?

watfly

PREMIER
While I can understand the support for a hybrid approach, there are too many kids that struggle with any portion being online. The problem is compounded for those kids whose parents don't take an active interest in their kids' academics or are unable to do so due to their employment situation or own lack of education. Furthermore, some kids live in a home environment that abusive and school is one of the safe places they can go to get a break at least for a few hours.

We need to be creative problem solvers to provide safe in-person education. Let's spread the kids out across campus. Use the gym, the cafeteria, the multi purpose rooms, etc for classes. How often does it rain in SoCal? Move the kids' learning outdoors. Put up canopies if you need to.

I know we're talking about K-12 educaton, but I'm very concerned for college online learning. I know quite a few students that are talking about taking a gap year if they're college is doing online classes. Once you leave college mid-education for whatever reason it is very difficult to come back. Is this going to cause a problem for businesses in a few years when the number of new college grads is limited? Another concern is that the universities that are going online only in the fall seem intent on charging the same tuition, which is highway robbery.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day the student and/or the parent will have very little say as to what will happen. The teachers' union will ultimately be the final decision maker.

While I can understand the support for a hybrid approach, there are too many kids that struggle with any portion being online. The problem is compounded for those kids whose parents don't take an active interest in their kids' academics or are unable to do so due to their employment situation or own lack of education. Furthermore, some kids live in a home environment that abusive and school is one of the safe places they can go to get a break at least for a few hours.
Good post. And to add, many children still lack access and the required tools. Some districts are only able to lend one Chromebook out per family. Some kids access to internet is through cellular methods only. It's a mess for a significant % of children in SoCal.

Desert Hound

PREMIER
Why don't the schools look at the actual stats put out by the CDC?

If they did you would see that there is little risk of having people go back to school.

From ages 0-49 the rate is 0.05%. That is HALF the death rate of the flu.
From ages 50-64 the rate is 0.2%. That is double the rate of the flu.

Now the CDC also estimates there are another 35% of people who had/have it that are asymptomatic.

Lets us update those numbers to include the 35%

Ages 0-49 the rate is 0.0325% which is1/3rd the death rate of the flu
Ages 50-64 the rate is 0.13% which is not much higher than the death rate of the flu

Here is the link to the CDC info. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

TOSDCI

BRONZE

We need to be creative problem solvers to provide safe in-person education. Let's spread the kids out across campus. Use the gym, the cafeteria, the multi purpose rooms, etc for classes. How often does it rain in SoCal? Move the kids' learning outdoors. Put up canopies if you need to.

I know we're talking about K-12 educaton, but I'm very concerned for college online learning. I know quite a few students that are talking about taking a gap year if they're college is doing online classes. Once you leave college mid-education for whatever reason it is very difficult to come back. Is this going to cause a problem for businesses in a few years when the number of new college grads is limited? Another concern is that the universities that are going online only in the fall seem intent on charging the same tuition, which is highway robbery.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day the student and/or the parent will have very little say as to what will happen. The teachers' union will ultimately be the final decision maker.
I would add to this that many children with special needs require one on one assistance as well as physical and occupational therapy. These needs are really difficult to meet with remote learning.

watfly

PREMIER
Good post. And to add, many children still lack access and the required tools. Some districts are only able to lend one Chromebook out per family. Some kids access to internet is through cellular methods only. It's a mess for a significant % of children in SoCal.
I would add to this that many children with special needs require one on one assistance as well as physical and occupational therapy. These needs are really difficult to meet with remote learning.
Yep, it the underprivileged and the disadvantaged that are the most hurt from online learning...which is a shame. There is not much logic that goes into a lot of decisions lately.

dad4

PREMIER
The covid risk of schools is not the risk to the students. It is the risk that students transmit the virus to each other and then to adults.

However, the only data on this that I have heard of is the Chinese study. It was pretty clear that they could document zero cases of kids under 12 acting as disease vectors.

If the other data is consistent with the Wuhan data, we could at least open up elementary schools and camps.

MSK357

GOLD
The covid risk of schools is not the risk to the students. It is the risk that students transmit the virus to each other and then to adults.

However, the only data on this that I have heard of is the Chinese study. It was pretty clear that they could document zero cases of kids under 12 acting as disease vectors.

If the other data is consistent with the Wuhan data, we could at least open up elementary schools and camps.
Maybe this will get democrats to approve school choice. More charter schools with homeschooling vouchers. 1 in 5 teachers polled they don't plan to return to the classroom even when schools open up.

MSK357

GOLD
Thanks for googling for me...teachers are not going quit, they are not expecting schools to open normally and don't know how to teach online. If they don't go back or adapt, they will be replaced.
I Expect Homeschooling to increase if schools do not open normally. No point in sending kids back to school if they are socially distancing from each other. They can get the social aspect somewhere else. California gives a couple grand for homeschooling or a hybrid type method online. Those uncomfortable with teaching in person can teach online with smaller groups at a pace that the parent is paying for with state funds. Charter Homeschooling is also an option that is tuition free. I expect a more digital learning environment in the future especially if teacher unions are handcuffing the way current teachers are teaching especially during this pandemic.

jpeter

PREMIER
Wow hybrid & in person split the vote

LAUSD: Mix of at-home and on-campus classes expected when school resumes
When the new LAUSD school year starts in August, it is likely to involve a mix of students learning from home and being on campus, Superintendent Austin Beutner says.

I Expect Homeschooling to increase if schools do not open normally. No point in sending kids back to school if they are socially distancing from each other. They can get the social aspect somewhere else. California gives a couple grand for homeschooling or a hybrid type method online. Those uncomfortable with teaching in person can teach online with smaller groups at a pace that the parent is paying for with state funds. Charter Homeschooling is also an option that is tuition free. I expect a more digital learning environment in the future especially if teacher unions are handcuffing the way current teachers are teaching especially during this pandemic.
Agree. I am out on the District doing online schooling. I would rather pay for online schooling from people that already know how to do it and provide the extra teaching when it is needed. It was a cluster you know what at best these last months at no fault of the teachers who were trying their best. While the Districts are putting out guidance for opening in September, I fully anticipate it won't happen because of spikes in numbers that in my view are inevitable. I am planning for the worst and praying for the best.

MSK357

GOLD
Agree. I am out on the District doing online schooling. I would rather pay for online schooling from people that already know how to do it and provide the extra teaching when it is needed. It was a cluster you know what at best these last months at no fault of the teachers who were trying their best. While the Districts are putting out guidance for opening in September, I fully anticipate it won't happen because of spikes in numbers that in my view are inevitable. I am planning for the worst and praying for the best.
Dont forget the many parents that will wait a year before allowing their child to get this quickly made vaccine. These parents are not Anti-vaccine people, they just dont want their kid taking the first batch of vaccines without a normal testing and researching window. If they make these vaccines mandatory for public schools, that would also increase the homeschooling population. With each child costing the state over 11k to educate in public schools, dishing out 2-3k for homeschooling would save the state so much money on education. They could even double the homeschooling funds and it would still be roughly half the cost to educate a child in public school.

jpeter

PREMIER
State superintendent Tony Thurmond releases guidance for reopening California schools

SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- California's Department of Education on Monday released a detailed how-to guide to safely reopen schools in the age of face masks and physical distancing.

"Classrooms need to be laid out in a way that ensures students can stay 6 feet apart at all times. Schools buses should also have limited capacity to allow students to space out.

All staff are being asked to wear face coverings or a clear face shield that allows students to see their expressions.

Students will be required to wear face coverings at a minimum: waiting to enter school, while on school grounds (except while eating), leaving schools and on school buses. Districts also have the option to mandate face coverings for students in the classroom.

In cafeterias, self-service buffets and shared tables are going to suspended. Students may eat their lunches in the classroom, spaced out at their desks.

The Department of Education also provides districts with four scheduling options that will make it easier to space students out:
  • "Two day rotation blended learning model": For example, grades K-3 attend school Monday/Wednesday, while grades 4-6 attend on Tuesday/Thursday. All students do distance learning Friday.
  • "A/B week blended learning model": Half of students across all grades attend school Monday-Thursday one week, the other half the following week, and so forth. All students do distance learning on Friday.
  • "Looping structure": Younger students may stay with the same teacher for multiple grades and in a smaller cohort. For example, a small group of students will have the same teacher for 1st then 2nd grade.
  • "Early/late staggered schedules": Grade levels could have staggered start times, or an AM/PM rotation, to avoid congregating in common spaces.
There is no one size fits all solution," said Chief Deputy Superintendent Stephanie Gregson. "There are no mandates within this document."