Referees - what can we all do to improve the situation?

One game can make a difference. I liked this at first, but I can now see some of the positives of SCDSL where the club has some control what level they play at.
SCDSL benefit: Makes it easier to keep a team together, or a coach/team to stay in your club. Finish 3rd in silver 2 years in a row and everyone's ready to find something else. One B05 team we play jumped to become a BIG club's "Flight 1" team. (They are as much a Flight 1 team as anyone, I suppose. Just looking at the B05 Flight 1s, looks like 8 of 34 teams are dominating.)

Plus one in favor for instituting a rating system for coaches and referees. Should be added to the online reporting system. Of course you can't look at only a few reviews, but like others said, it will become obvious when there are consistently low or high scores.

Plus one in favor for instituting a rating system for coaches and referees. Should be added to the online reporting system. Of course you can't look at only a few reviews, but like others said, it will become obvious when there are consistently low or high scores.
The problem is that you have managers doing the game reporting. Many are quite ignorant. They are just parents. It has to be a somewhat knowlegable person doing it. I could accept the coach doing it, but not a manager.

My ARs were good today and the other ref that did a Center as good. We did get to see a knucklehead Center referee. 5 minutes into his G13 game the ball goes out for a throw in and he calls one of the girls over. Tells her she forgot to take one of her earrings out and issues her a yellow card and tells the girl coach he has to sub her out. You don’t give a yellow card for a piece of jewelry and they don’t have to be subbed out, just step off and remove the jewelry and can come back in at the next stoppage. There were also several other questionable calls.

In a game with limited subsitituiom rules, does sending a girl off to take out her earrings count?
Not talking about “step off and take them out then re-enter”.
Talking about a girl coming off of the field and being replaced by another player.

I’ve also heard that in the event a player has illegal equipment (ie- wearing earrings or not wearing shin guards) then the coach is issued a warning or yellow card.

I’ve also heard that in the event a player has illegal equipment (ie- wearing earrings or not wearing shin guards) then the coach is issued a warning or yellow card.
In high school the coach, rather than the player, gets the caution for the first illegally equipped player. The coach is responsible for the players being legally and properly equipped and the referee is required to ask the question "Are all your players legally and properly equipped?" before the match starts, The caution to the coach is because the coach has made an incorrect representation to the referee. The second and subsequent players on the same team with illegal equipment get cautions.

The HS referee association here in OC makes it a point of emphasis in preseason referee training that we should be proactive in trying to avoid the need to caution a coach for a player's illegal equipment by informally checking the players before the game and calling their attention to illegal equipment issues before the game starts.

In a game with limited subsitituiom rules, does sending a girl off to take out her earrings count?
Not talking about “step off and take them out then re-enter”.
Talking about a girl coming off of the field and being replaced by another player.

We are talking about youth soccer and the LOTG, not HS rules. The coach has the option of subbing the player out or just having them step off to fix the problem. No one should be cautioned for forgetting to take off a bracelet, necklace or earrings. I will usually just have the player give me the jewelry and when I am near the bench give it to the coach. I also do this in HS games which helps get me on the coach’s good side.

The referee that carded the player for having earrings in was from San Diego Soccer Referee Association (SDSRA). It is actually his fault because he did not properly check in the players.

We are talking about youth soccer and the LOTG, not HS rules. The coach has the option of subbing the player out or just having them step off to fix the problem. No one should be cautioned for forgetting to take off a bracelet, necklace or earrings. I will usually just have the player give me the jewelry and when I am near the bench give it to the coach. I also do this in HS games which helps get me on the coach’s good side.

The referee that carded the player for having earrings in was from San Diego Soccer Referee Association (SDSRA). It is actually his fault because he did not properly check in the players.

What would the correct procedure be, if he did tell her to remove the earrings and she did, but then put them back on when she walked away. Would this be cause to issue a yellow?

Witnessed 4 games in League Cup today. 3 parents ejected, 1 assistant coach ejected and a coach almost ejected (after screaming at the CR in Spanish including some obscenities...just got a warning). I stepped up in the game after my son's game as an AR because the AR did not show up...did it as a volunteer...still got BS from the sideline. Both CRs were really fantastic and managed to control the games which were wildly physically spinning out of control and through no malice of any of the players (no dirty play for the sake of dirty play).

Having seen it this bad now, I have to agree that the coach's set the tone and there's no excuse for the behavior. 1) still think we need mandatory continuing education including a mandatory module on behavior/ethics, and 2) a no tolerance policy if the coaches misbehave.

Witnessed 4 games in League Cup today. 3 parents ejected, 1 assistant coach ejected and a coach almost ejected (after screaming at the CR in Spanish including some obscenities...just got a warning). I stepped up in the game after my son's game as an AR because the AR did not show up...did it as a volunteer...still got BS from the sideline. Both CRs were really fantastic and managed to control the games which were wildly physically spinning out of control and through no malice of any of the players (no dirty play for the sake of dirty play).

Having seen it this bad now, I have to agree that the coach's set the tone and there's no excuse for the behavior. 1) still think we need mandatory continuing education including a mandatory module on behavior/ethics, and 2) a no tolerance policy if the coaches misbehave.

I never understood why referees are required to yearly complete online training, concussion training and 5 to 8 hours of referee training a year, and coaches have no yearly requirement. I would think that coaches should at least be required to yearly complete concussion training, LOTG training, ethics training and some coaching training. Some coaches get their E License (or whatever it is called now), do their initial concussion training and never go through any further coaching training. Other coaches like my daughter work for clubs that do coaches training quarterly and push the coaches to move to the next higher license level. I think part of the problem is that D-C coach training is not offered often enough.

Coaches set the tone. If the coach is a douche, the parents and players follow suit.
Gotta remove them
Even if it means the game is over

Coaches set the tone. If the coach is a douche, the parents and players follow suit.
Gotta remove them

Spot on. I try to set a good example and thankfully we have good kids and parents so our sidelines (and behavior on the field) are generally good but on the odd occasion that I overstep the mark and get carried away, you can bet that the kids (and parents) usually follow suit. Absolutely no question that the coach sets the tone.

I still believe an across-the-board rating system (for parents, coaches, players and refs) would be helpful, as long as there are clear sanctions for those who step out of line. Whether we will see that in the next year or so is debatable.

I had a coach yelling at me last Sunday. When I went to politely ask him to not yell at me and my ARs he said, “Do you know who I am?” I did know who he was and calmly replied, “yes, you are the coach that will be sitting in his car if you yell at any referee again.” I turned and walked away and he did not yell at us anymore. I am sure he has said that same line to a new or youth referee to try and intimidate them. When his parents yelled at my AR, all I had to do was look at him and he told them to shut up. I guess their motto applies, “You’ll never walk alone” to your car when you get kicked out.

I had a coach yelling at me last Sunday. When I went to politely ask him to not yell at me and my ARs he said, “Do you know who I am?” I did know who he was and calmly replied, “yes, you are the coach that will be sitting in his car if you yell at any referee again.” I turned and walked away and he did not yell at us anymore. I am sure he has said that same line to a new or youth referee to try and intimidate them. When his parents yelled at my AR, all I had to do was look at him and he told them to shut up. I guess their motto applies, “You’ll never walk alone” to your car when you get kicked out.
After my men's game this morning the CR came to me and asked that I speak to one of our players about his comments about a call made just before the game ended. The CR said next time he would have to communicate with the division coordinator. I said he already had and it would be much more of the same. But I would warn him...:D

Who was he?

Spot on. I try to set a good example and thankfully we have good kids and parents so our sidelines (and behavior on the field) are generally good but on the odd occasion that I overstep the mark and get carried away, you can bet that the kids (and parents) usually follow suit. Absolutely no question that the coach sets the tone.

I still believe an across-the-board rating system (for parents, coaches, players and refs) would be helpful, as long as there are clear sanctions for those who step out of line. Whether we will see that in the next year or so is debatable.

Who will do the ratings? Is the league going to supply some unbiased person to evaluate every game? I just don’t see how you will get an unbiased input or any input. Most refs don’t really care who wins or loses and probably don’t care enough to fill out some rating form unless it is just a 1-10 ranking.

Gotta remove them
You are right Mijo! It’s the coaches that set the tone and should control bad behavior on the field and sideline.

If we are going to rate refs, we should also allow refs and coaches to rate coaches.
There are some complete assholes out there.

Mija, Sênior Hefe Presidente or DOC at the club should be setting the rules for his coaches. When no rules or don’t care the coach is just like independent contract mafia capi and their Wise Guy boss DOCs do not care. Sone don’t seem answer to anyone and really don’t care. They really have no one watching them. They say and do whatever they want with no consequences.

Back