Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Does anybody have numbers around college soccer players who actually stay with the sport for four years? Or maybe average freshman recruiting class sizes where you can infer the amount of attrition? Feels like when colleges announce new recruiting classes the numbers are in the 8 to 12 player range.
That was part of the question simi asked that got this discussion going. I think 8-12 is on the low side for recruiting classes. My kid's school has had 18 and 16 the past two years. But I don't have any hard data beyond that. It's harder to infer the attrition rate when you try to account for redshirt years, transfers, and walk-ons, but one way I tried to calculate it was by counting the number of 4-5 year seniors on rosters. If you figured that the average recruiting class is say, 12, and there's 6 seniors on the team, you could guess the attrition rate is 50% for that particular class.

Also, that count should be done after the season starts as the summer roster will look huge because it hasn't been updated after cuts are made

That was part of the question simi asked that got this discussion going. I think 8-12 is on the low side for recruiting classes. My kid's school has had 18 and 16 the past two years. But I don't have any hard data beyond that. It's harder to infer the attrition rate when you try to account for redshirt years, transfers, and walk-ons, but one way I tried to calculate it was by counting the number of 4-5 year seniors on rosters. If you figured that the average recruiting class is say, 12, and there's 6 seniors on the team, you could guess the attrition rate is 50% for that particular class.

Also, that count should be done after the season starts as the summer roster will look huge because it hasn't been updated after cuts are made
I was told 4 years ago only 20% stay and play and finish what they started. I have no idea about today's stats but it did come from one of the most honest Docs I know. He told me this whole soccer is a big biz and the customers want one thing: A deal for dd for school. I can take a random sample of 10 players that I personally know from class of 2021 and now 2022. 3 have quit already. 3 have transferred. 2 are very depressed and want to come home but are afraid that dad will get pissed. 1 is very happy and the other one is looking to transfer because the weather sucks!!

I was told 4 years ago only 20% stay and play and finish what they started. I have no idea about today's stats but it did come from one of the most honest Docs I know. He told me this whole soccer is a big biz and the customers want one thing: A deal for dd for school. I can take a random sample of 10 players that I personally know from class of 2021 and now 2022. 3 have quit already. 3 have transferred. 2 are very depressed and want to come home but are afraid that dad will get pissed. 1 is very happy and the other one is looking to transfer because the weather sucks!!
Sounds about right to me.

Good read below. The college soccer grind is REAL. And, I don't think our SoCal clubs do our girls any favors by playing 35+ games and year-round practices for the four years leading into college.

“There’s a bit of repetitiveness of how soccer goes,” Fuller says. “I remember telling my therapist I just felt like I was on this hamster wheel. And then it just resets every year. You just have to do the same thing. You keep having to fight for a spot.” She was burnt out.

Good read below. The college soccer grind is REAL. And, I don't think our SoCal clubs do our girls any favors by playing 35+ games and year-round practices for the four years leading into college.

“There’s a bit of repetitiveness of how soccer goes,” Fuller says. “I remember telling my therapist I just felt like I was on this hamster wheel. And then it just resets every year. You just have to do the same thing. You keep having to fight for a spot.” She was burnt out.

The club scene is not set up for “love of the game” and good mental health, certainly not for the bulk of the players (including many elite players who still manage to succeed in that system). It’s a reason why playing HS soccer is, on balance, “healthier” than just training w/the club during that period (yes, I know the anecdotes of people saying that HS soccer contributes to injury but having watched years of club and HS, I have seen a higher percentage of serious injuries during club than during HS. The argument about skill erosion is ludicrous, too. Otherwise, any injury that puts a player on the shelf for 3 months would be a career-threatener). Healthier b/c of the mental adjustment that happens in HS - less pressure, more “fun”, representing the school, etc.

Further, simply giving more and longer breaks (like at the beginning of summer - do elite players even have ANY break?) staggered in the year would allow for mental and physical resets. Soccer is not alone, of course, as travel baseball and AAU hoops, volleyball, etc. have turned those sports into year round activities. In fact, the only sport that doesn’t seem to be year round now is football - and even that is changing with the increase in passing leagues, camps, etc.

Daughters school(starts in fall of 2023) has 8 2022's coming in(2 college transfers, 1 JC transfer, 5 from High School) 6 2023's so far(all from High School), with two spots still open. 30 on the roster (3 keepers). This can change for 2023 as players decide to graduate instead of playing the extra year, decide to transfer, or decide to quit playing (lack of playing time or loss of interest or time management). I would think each school is different depending on where they usually recruit with how many players they bring in every year.

I'm thankful my daughter didn't start soccer until she was 9, plus played other sports through her sophomore year, which I hope keeps the burnout factor from occurring. She is also at a one of her top 3 choices in the area she wants to be (So Cal). She realized after a couple visits that going out of State wasn't for her.

Let your kid pick the school they love, disregard division level, and make sure they will get some playing time. Can't imagine what life would be like for a kid going from 90 minute games 30 times a year to 10 minutes games 20 times a year.

"Let your kid pick the school they love."

A college friend just emailed about her son's journey.

"He had no intention of playing soccer. He got in early decision to his dream school and then they contacted him in February to ask if he was interested in trying out, then he flew to the school on April 29 for ID camp and got an offer. He very clearly understands that he is third string keeper behind a senior and another freshman. He is just happy to have the opportunity to play in college! Never in a million years thought he would."

Daughters school(starts in fall of 2023) has 8 2022's coming in(2 college transfers, 1 JC transfer, 5 from High School) 6 2023's so far(all from High School), with two spots still open. 30 on the roster (3 keepers). This can change for 2023 as players decide to graduate instead of playing the extra year, decide to transfer, or decide to quit playing (lack of playing time or loss of interest or time management). I would think each school is different depending on where they usually recruit with how many players they bring in every year.

Let your kid pick the school they love, disregard division level, and make sure they will get some playing time. Can't imagine what life would be like for a kid going from 90 minute games 30 times a year to 10 minutes games 20 times a year.
So it looks like 2023 recruiting is over and we ended up with 8 recruits. I think it was 2 GA, 2 ECRL, 3 ECNL, and 1 Premier player. 3 from Northern California, 5 from Southern California. No transfers that I know of. I believe they had zero official visits during recruiting.

Just a cool thing the school is doing, they will have all 8 girls in together for their official visit, watch a game, watch a training, share a meal together, stay with current players. I know a couple other schools my daughter spoke with were going to do the same thing. So don't get hung up on whether something is an official or unofficial visit when you go to the school.

Further, simply giving more and longer breaks (like at the beginning of summer - do elite players even have ANY break?) staggered in the year would allow for mental and physical resets. Soccer is not alone, of course, as travel baseball and AAU hoops, volleyball, etc. have turned those sports into year round activities. In fact, the only sport that doesn’t seem to be year round now is football - and even that is changing with the increase in passing leagues, camps, etc.

My DD who is in her second year at a D1 school just commented on this. She said there was really no break between finishing their spring season and finals and spending her summer playing in a summer league and going to summer school and preparing to show up fit for preseason. It's a constant grind and there's little time for mental and physical recovery. She chose D1 over D3 because she wanted a spring season and intense year round training, but it is not for everyone and does not allow for the college/soccer/life balance that some athletes may be seeking. She got injured in their first preseason match this year and now it is unlikely she will get to play this fall (still awaiting MRI results). Broken leg test being put to the test - this is a whole new level of mental and physical challenge for her. She's up for the challenge and where she wants to be, but it is easy to see how after their Freshman season student athletes realize the difference in expectations versus reality and need to make a change. And that's okay.

My DD who is in her second year at a D1 school just commented on this. She said there was really no break between finishing their spring season and finals and spending her summer playing in a summer league and going to summer school and preparing to show up fit for preseason. It's a constant grind and there's little time for mental and physical recovery. She chose D1 over D3 because she wanted a spring season and intense year round training, but it is not for everyone and does not allow for the college/soccer/life balance that some athletes may be seeking. She got injured in their first preseason match this year and now it is unlikely she will get to play this fall (still awaiting MRI results). Broken leg test being put to the test - this is a whole new level of mental and physical challenge for her. She's up for the challenge and where she wants to be, but it is easy to see how after their Freshman season student athletes realize the difference in expectations versus reality and need to make a change. And that's okay.
Sorry to hear about your DD's injury. Last year there was a 5th year senior at my DD's school who had delayed graduating to play her final year of soccer since Covid cancelled her senior season in '20, tore her ACL in the first 10 minutes of the first pre-season game. Losing entire seasons to things outside of your control is such a reality for college players that you have to go into it knowing that every time you see the field in a game, you should consider yourself blessed. Good luck to your daughter in recovery.

Sorry to hear about your DD's injury. Last year there was a 5th year senior at my DD's school who had delayed graduating to play her final year of soccer since Covid cancelled her senior season in '20, tore her ACL in the first 10 minutes of the first pre-season game. Losing entire seasons to things outside of your control is such a reality for college players that you have to go into it knowing that every time you see the field in a game, you should consider yourself blessed. Good luck to your daughter in recovery.
Thank you. Full MCL tear. Out for at least 2 months, so no fall season and will redshirt. But she's optimistic and grateful for an extra year of eligibility. And it's so sure - every minute on the field is a blessing for these kids.

Want your kid to stay and play all the way through an NCAA program? The best advice we can give to players and parents looking at D1 and D2 programs: Research the coach- Leadership and intelligent coaching are sorely lacking at the college level. NCAA programs fail their student-athletes due to their head coaches. Unfortunately, motivation through borderline abusive rhetoric, lack of empathy, and nonsensical coaching exist at the college level. Our kids have had better club-level coaching from good human-beings that lead by example the type of team they want to build. Please interview former players that played for that coach. Do your homework as best as you can. We did not do our homework and bought the "song and dance" from the coach; big mistake. Best of luck to your future college athletes.

Want your kid to stay and play all the way through an NCAA program? The best advice we can give to players and parents looking at D1 and D2 programs: Research the coach- Leadership and intelligent coaching are sorely lacking at the college level. NCAA programs fail their student-athletes due to their head coaches. Unfortunately, motivation through borderline abusive rhetoric, lack of empathy, and nonsensical coaching exist at the college level. Our kids have had better club-level coaching from good human-beings that lead by example the type of team they want to build. Please interview former players that played for that coach. Do your homework as best as you can. We did not do our homework and bought the "song and dance" from the coach; big mistake. Best of luck to your future college athletes.
It's not clear yet how much impact the NIL decision will have, especially on soccer players. That may become a factor as some colleges become better at raising money for their athletes (although, technically, the colleges can have little or no control of the process).

Likewise, I found it interesting to discover how many college coaches (even ones at moderately high profile state universities) turn out to be duller of personality and more lacking in soccer IQ than some youth club coaches we ran into. As far as moral and ethical standards, there are quite a few that are shady as hell. It can be a wild ride for sure.

Likewise, I found it interesting to discover how many college coaches (even ones at moderately high profile state universities) turn out to be duller of personality and more lacking in soccer IQ than some youth club coaches we ran into. As far as moral and ethical standards, there are quite a few that are shady as hell. It can be a wild ride for sure.

Story time?

Someday I will write a tell-all book and it would be a best seller for sure. In the meantime, protect your kids, college should be the best time of their young lives, full of promise and potential. I will not fail to course-correct in the meantime toward an institution that values its best resources. In all my years of business, how you treat your people says so much about the company and its culture. If these NCAA programs were businesses, they would fail miserably.

Has this been discussed on this forum? Seems like a potential major change for soccer.

I don't think it has been discussed. Wow, that's a huge deal. Would be an enormous boon for youth club soccer as it would instantly re-invigorate all those parents trying to live vicariously through their children's athletic accomplishments. In related news, once this goes into effect all parents of 2002 birth year college soccer players will break the world record for collective simultaneous facepalming.

I don't think it has been discussed. Wow, that's a huge deal. Would be an enormous boon for youth club soccer as it would instantly re-invigorate all those parents trying to live vicariously through their children's athletic accomplishments. In related news, once this goes into effect all parents of 2002 birth year college soccer players will break the world record for collective simultaneous facepalming.
There are a lot of unknowns -- what will the headcount numbers be? How will this be funded? Will some conferences voluntarily restrict the headcount to keep costs down?

Has this been discussed on this forum? Seems like a potential major change for soccer.

article touches on this, but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing for soccer? Yes, good, in that more players potentially get full scholarships vs partial or none. But, in order to pay those scholarships, many schools will have to cut sports altogether. If that means cutting mens and womens soccer teams, then big picture bad for soccer student athletes. That will trickle down to soccer clubs - fewer college opportunities = no more B and C teams. Interesting.

Back