Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Q for anyone on here to be helpful - when the schools have 14 scholarships, is that tuition plus room/board? So a school that has tuition of $50k and $20k for room, then do they have $70k to hand out so they could give $35k to two different kids? Or do they only have the $50k to hand out.

NCAA says "Full scholarships cover tuition and fees, room, board and course-related books." That's the good news. The bad news is soccer players almost never get a full scholarship. The coach and AD decide how to divide up the available money among several players. And many schools don't budget the full 14x amount due to other financial constraints within the school.

My understanding is title IX is for full tuition equivalents, so does not include room/board/food.
So they have $50K X 14 anyway they want.
It depends on the coach and depends on the school how they divide that up. It is rare (likely never - I just don't know for certain) to have all that going to 14 players. If a player is eligible for financial aid elsewhere they might get less soccer money (or financial aid + soccer money = full tuition) or financial aid can go to room/board. The fancier schools tend to have larger rosters and players take less to be there while a not-so-fancy school may have a smaller roster where players get most expenses covered along with academic aid while the fancier schools tend not to give any academic aid. You will hear folks say the kid got a full ride academic scholarship at some Ivy when the Ivy's post they do not give merit scholarships. They might also give up to full scholarships for ethnicities so always look for those too if you are not trying to get a white kid in.
Schools can offer Total cost of attendance which includes room/board/food...which translates to $3-6K in your pocket if the school decides to go there. Most players don't get that. Coaches opt to stretch their budget across many players.

A full scholarship consists of tuition, fees, room and board, and books. Some of the wealthier schools also pay an additional cost of attendance stipend. The cost of attendance stipend is newer (in the past few years).

If we are talking about head count sports like football and basketball, a full scholarship at Ohio State would include all of the above. A full scholarship at a lower to mid-major program would include tuition, fees, room and board, and books, but not likely the cost of attendance stipend.

Schools can offer Total cost of attendance which includes room/board/food...which translates to $3-6K in your pocket if the school decides to go there. Most players don't get that. Coaches opt to stretch their budget across many players.

If a school or a sport at a school pays total cost of attendance it is pro-rated at the rate of the scholarship. So if you are on a 50% scholarship you get 50% of it.

Yes, private schools are a bit different, I will say to everyone, GRADES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! We tried to tell both our kids that over the years. Our now Senior was recruited to play at multiple schools and picked a D3 in Upstate NY, (committed end of her Jr. year), we thought her "Merit" scholarship was pretty good and really had no idea what was "good" at that point, her grades were fair (3.4) however, she received what would be close to a 2/3 tuition with everything included (tuition, housing), at would would be the cost of a California State school. Our youngest was recruited to play at the same school, now a Soph. and her grades were 4.0 at the time, her "Merit" scholarship was A LOT more then our oldest daughter, her total package is less than a State California school, both have made the Dean's List every year and are having a blast, yes, even with missing a season due to Covid. Your kids need to pick a school they're going to love, even if they don't play soccer as most only play on average 1.5 years due to injury or whatever, getting a great education should be their top priority unless they think they're going to play pro and that percentage of players that make it there drops to less than 1% of the total players, last I checked NCAA, only 3% even play on from club to the college level. I'm really glad both attended the same school, we saved a bunch of money and both played right away rather than watching the first few seasons. Best of luck to whatever schools they pick! (*FYI - It's weird watching them play on the computer or flying across the country to see them play so, enjoy it while you can!)

How does timing on merit scholarship for athletes work relative to recruiting/application timing? Are schools essentially doing a preread on academic quals prior to applications even being submitted? Ado the coaches seem to have a meaningful hand in that process? Thanks for any insight.

Coaches generally have a very good idea of what academic grades/test scores will qualify for academic scholarships at their school. They cannot have a hand in the prospect being awarded that academic money, or it would be considered based in part on their athletic ability and it would then count against the team's athletic aid. The coach could say, we offer x amount in athletic aid for you, and based on your current scores (assuming you keep your grades at their current marks) you will likely qualify for x amount in academic aid.

How does timing on merit scholarship for athletes work relative to recruiting/application timing? Are schools essentially doing a preread on academic quals prior to applications even being submitted? Ado the coaches seem to have a meaningful hand in that process? Thanks for any insight.
It's very late, they'll be looking for your DD's last GPA prior to the offer. I can only speak for DIII as both my DD's made the choice to play there. Your DD will need to complete the online application (to show interest), probably visit the school, both of my DD's did, meet the coach, team and my oldest participated in a clinic however, my youngest didn't. DIII does not award "athletic" aid, it's all Merit Based and worked well for us as it can't be pulled if they decide to stop playing. I've also heard of coaches getting involved to get additional funds if needed. I wish I knew that earlier, lol. Yes, the grades DO have to be maintained in order to get the Merit quoted. *It does happen late so be prepared to be waiting a bit, think end of summer of before Senior year although, I've heard it's changed again and should be posted on NCAA. Best of Luck!

I'm 9 years out of this. IMO the school is worth more than the money you get. That said, some kids do very well on the basic state schools so I think now it matters less than it did. The whole what school thing seems rather overblown compared to what soccer was (college was easy).
Can the kid do "beast mode"? If they can, not much else matters.
That is the thing they get from the soccer.

My daughter recently received acceptance and an offer to play for a top d3 academic and athletic school that plays in the UAA. She is a 2021 and I thought I would share what transpired for parents going through the process. Going into the fall of 2019 my daughter had interest from a few d1 schools (attended ID camps) and multiple d3 schools. There were 2-3 showcases scheduled for March/April/May 2020 where she had schools coming to see her play for a final look....Covid made sure that did not happen. Once Covid shut everything down and the reality of the lost college season hit the fall of 2020 (for most teams) many of the roster spots that were being offered to 2021s dried up as seniors who decided to return for an extra year had an affect at the schools she was talking to. In the fall of 2020 my daughter decided to start writing and calling a new group of schools...almost starting over. As the recruiting dead period continued to be extended the process became all about calling, writing and game film. My daughter decided that she wanted to focus on D3 schools as the end of 2020 approached and she was able to start playing in scrimmages and those fun AZ road trips. Her team was slated to play in the National League Showcase in Dallas in mid March 2021. She picked some top level d3 schools from the list of schools attending reached out and sent film. She connected with the school where she has her current offer and the coach liked what she saw and was going to use the showcase as her final baromter. The Dallas showcase was cancelled due to snow, sleet and freezing temps...my daughter was crushed yet she did not gvie up. She continued to communicate witht the coach and asked if she could fly out and train with the team but they were shut down due to Covid. In the end the coach said she needed a few more full game films so we had 2-3 of her club games filmed and sent them out. She just finsihed her visit and received her offer this week. The moral of my long winded story is our DDs have worked so hard and 2020/21 was a crazy year due to Covid but persistence and a positive outlook pay off. My DD got frustrated multiple times but never stopped trying to find new ways to connect with coaches. In my opinion the recruiting process benefited my daughter and taught her to take control of her future and that obstacles will always present themselves in life but can be overcome.

My daughter recently received acceptance and an offer to play for a top d3 academic and athletic school that plays in the UAA. She is a 2021 and I thought I would share what transpired for parents going through the process. Going into the fall of 2019 my daughter had interest from a few d1 schools (attended ID camps) and multiple d3 schools. There were 2-3 showcases scheduled for March/April/May 2020 where she had schools coming to see her play for a final look....Covid made sure that did not happen. Once Covid shut everything down and the reality of the lost college season hit the fall of 2020 (for most teams) many of the roster spots that were being offered to 2021s dried up as seniors who decided to return for an extra year had an affect at the schools she was talking to. In the fall of 2020 my daughter decided to start writing and calling a new group of schools...almost starting over. As the recruiting dead period continued to be extended the process became all about calling, writing and game film. My daughter decided that she wanted to focus on D3 schools as the end of 2020 approached and she was able to start playing in scrimmages and those fun AZ road trips. Her team was slated to play in the National League Showcase in Dallas in mid March 2021. She picked some top level d3 schools from the list of schools attending reached out and sent film. She connected with the school where she has her current offer and the coach liked what she saw and was going to use the showcase as her final baromter. The Dallas showcase was cancelled due to snow, sleet and freezing temps...my daughter was crushed yet she did not gvie up. She continued to communicate witht the coach and asked if she could fly out and train with the team but they were shut down due to Covid. In the end the coach said she needed a few more full game films so we had 2-3 of her club games filmed and sent them out. She just finsihed her visit and received her offer this week. The moral of my long winded story is our DDs have worked so hard and 2020/21 was a crazy year due to Covid but persistence and a positive outlook pay off. My DD got frustrated multiple times but never stopped trying to find new ways to connect with coaches. In my opinion the recruiting process benefited my daughter and taught her to take control of her future and that obstacles will always present themselves in life but can be overcome.
Well said and what a great story. Wish your daughter the best.

Thank you thank you for sharing. Good luck 100% to your dd :)

Congrats to your DD! Great story of persistence. I always tell parents that if their kids are motivated and don't give up, there will be a place for them somewhere. Whether or not that place is a place they can see themselves going to school and enjoying might be another story, but sounds like your daughter was able to make both happen. I thought Covid was awful for my 2020 grad. Nothing compared to what the '21's lost, I guess!

This post is a perfect example of the valuable content that this forum can provide. Thank you for sharing your DD's story! I wish more parents would share their recruiting stories to help others. It can be done in a way (like you did) that is anonymous and helpful. I will do the same if/when the time comes. Others?

I’l bite! My DD is a 2022, verbally committed late last year. We found that having already established relationships with the coaches at the programs she was considering was THE most important element to the process, not sure if that’s going to be the same in non-COVID years. She had attended school-specific ID camps at five-ish schools that she was talking to seriously — there was one outlier where she’d never set foot on campus and another outlier where her last ID camp had been more than 2 years prior, but the schools that were most seriously in the mix were places she’d been to camps and such on a number of occasions, all relatively local schools, which also helped because in the local soccer coaching scene the coaches at club and college all talk to each other and the assistant coaches at the colleges sometimes coach club on the side and vice versa. The biggest lesson for us was that being on a fancy team matters for talent credibility purposes, but the showcases mattered WAY LESS than we thought they would. Even in a non-COVID year, the showcases seem to be more about confirming in person what the coach is already considering from prior interactions.

I’l bite! My DD is a 2022, verbally committed late last year. We found that having already established relationships with the coaches at the programs she was considering was THE most important element to the process, not sure if that’s going to be the same in non-COVID years. She had attended school-specific ID camps at five-ish schools that she was talking to seriously — there was one outlier where she’d never set foot on campus and another outlier where her last ID camp had been more than 2 years prior, but the schools that were most seriously in the mix were places she’d been to camps and such on a number of occasions, all relatively local schools, which also helped because in the local soccer coaching scene the coaches at club and college all talk to each other and the assistant coaches at the colleges sometimes coach club on the side and vice versa. The biggest lesson for us was that being on a fancy team matters for talent credibility purposes, but the showcases mattered WAY LESS than we thought they would. Even in a non-COVID year, the showcases seem to be more about confirming in person what the coach is already considering from prior interactions.
I think your last two sentences are very accurate.

That is not true ... maybe for your kid, but not overall. The showcases are where they see kids live with their teams. Camps are difficult to evaluate because you have a large range of talent out there, and no one has played together before. A high level showcase is where the players true level is revealed.

That is not true ... maybe for your kid, but not overall. The showcases are where they see kids live with their teams. Camps are difficult to evaluate because you have a large range of talent out there, and no one has played together before. A high level showcase is where the players true level is revealed.
In my case the showcases actually served both. It was where schools that were already interested solidified their interest and for new ones to emerge that were not part of the mix before. However, the relationships were mostly in place before showcases. I realize everyone's experience is different so I'm in no way saying this is an exact science.

My tip is only commitment to a school where the head coach courts or talks directly to the player, multiple 1 on 1s if possible. Spending time together really helped our youngest make his decision. Knowing about the staff or assistants helps, but when the head coach shows up to training, games, events and has 1 on 1s it can really make the difference and lasting impression.

Our youngest son received several offers, some campus visits, majority of the time it was assistant coaches or just blind offers coming at different times for schools he didn't even know about.

Usually after he played in some tournament, showcase, or post season comp but couple times just by different coaching talking among themselves and recommending.

Never attended any camps or ID events, your club or head coach connections goes a long way that and who, what, or where you play. There wasn't a tournament, showcase, or postseason where the offers didn't come in even after he committed .

On the boys side there are a fair number of head coaches that also are college coaches or trainers to some degree. Playing for one of those can be invaluable in a lot of different ways. If your looking for a team and have college inspiration definitely consider that.

My tip is only commitment to a school where the head coach courts or talks directly to the player, multiple 1 on 1s if possible. Spending time together really helped our youngest make his decision. Knowing about the staff or assistants helps, but when the head coach shows up to training, games, events and has 1 on 1s it can really make the difference and lasting impression.

Our youngest son received several offers, some campus visits, majority of the time it was assistant coaches or just blind offers coming at different times for schools he didn't even know about.

Usually after he played in some tournament, showcase, or post season comp but couple times just by different coaching talking among themselves and recommending.

Never attended any camps or ID events, your club or head coach connections goes a long way that and who, what, or where you play. There wasn't a tournament, showcase, or postseason where the offers didn't come in even after he committed .

On the boys side there are a fair number of head coaches that also are college coaches or trainers to some degree. Playing for one of those can be invaluable in a lot of different ways. If your looking for a team and have college inspiration definitely consider that.
I love this stuff, thanks bro. My dd needs the right fit. 3 official visits coming soon to a campus near you except by EOTL's crib....lol. I spoke to a big time youth coach and he told me 2021s are still up first. 2022s need to slow the heck down and not fret is what he told me. Relax and calm down was his message to me to tell of of you. Relax everyone :) Take your time, especially in these times. That's my 4 cents worth :)

Back