Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

If they offer little to no scholarship year 1, then the 4 year guarantee of offering little to nothing has little impact if a player doesn't contribute. That gives the coach the opportunity to offer more money years 2-4 to players making an impact. I read the the guarantee does not apply to kids offered no money year 1 with a promise of a backloaded deal. So it makes sense that coaches in the Power 5 to not always make a big first year offer.
Are you being nice or optimistic? At the risk of sounding cynical, looks like college coaches have found a “loop hole” to the Power 5 guarantee. If I were a Power 5 coach, I’d only offer money to the Macario types and everyone else would have to show and prove their worthiness. With the demand to play at a Power 5 school, why should a coach take the risk of giving money to a player at the outset instead of waiting a year or two to evaluate the player and minimize financial risk?
Power 5 guarantee seems toothless except in the rarest of circumstances.

Isn't Notre Dame part of the P5 (ACC)?
So P5 schools when offering scholarships, it's for all 4 years? Whether you see time on the field or not? Did I get that correctly?
How does it differ in other conferences other than the P5?? P5 is ACC, SEC, Big10, Big12, Ivies??
Notre Dame is independent for football so that’s why they get listed separately. P5 is Pac-12, ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12. Ivies do not give athletic scholarships. Other conferences can voluntarily offer 4 year guarantee but the P5+Notre Dame signed a voluntary agreement in 2015 and must offer the guarantee, which means they can’t take away scholarships for athletic reasons. Other posters have correctly stated that the school must offer scholarship in the first year.

Notre Dame is independent for football so that’s why they get listed separately. P5 is Pac-12, ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12. Ivies do not give athletic scholarships. Other conferences can voluntarily offer 4 year guarantee but the P5+Notre Dame signed a voluntary agreement in 2015 and must offer the guarantee, which means they can’t take away scholarships for athletic reasons. Other posters have correctly stated that the school must offer scholarship in the first year.
Thanks for that explanation re: ND. I knew bout the ivies just wasn't sure if they were in on that deal or not.

It must be offered the first year to be guaranteed then the guarantee is only for the % offered 1st year.

Isn't Notre Dame part of the P5 (ACC)?
So P5 schools when offering scholarships, it's for all 4 years? Whether you see time on the field or not? Did I get that correctly?
How does it differ in other conferences other than the P5?? P5 is ACC, SEC, Big10, Big12, Ivies??

not ivies but pac 12. For other conferences it’s 1 year renewable. And this is across all sports.

Stanford I believe has decommitted players on more than a few occasions. I know it's not the norm, but they seem to be an institution that is ok with this pracitce.
I agree, I have also heard the Power 5 schools decommitted players on more than one occasion leaving these players out on an island trying to find a school last minute. It's ok for Stanford because they get the strongest players in the country. Sad but at the end of the day, it's business.

Yes schools have commitments from 10 and then end up taking 6. And yes even “4 year scholarship” kids get cut.

FYI:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 2:31 PM
Subject: FSU Soccer and Mark Krikorian Soccer Academy Update
To: Nathan Minion <nminion@fsu.edu>

Good Evening,

I hope this email finds you safe and healthy. I wanted to send an update to our subscriber list about our camps here at FSU.

Currently the NCAA is in a dead period which prohibits any camps with prospect age players (2020, 2021,2022, 2023). The dead period was extended last week until August 31st. Our hope is to have ID camps this fall around some of our home games if the NCAA and campus allows us to host them.

For our younger soccer players, campus is still limiting groups on campus, so we will not have any residential or day camps this summer.

We do have a Virtual Tactics camp that will be held July 11th. This is perfect for 6th, 7th, 8th, and rising 9th graders and their parents. Unfortunately, if you have started class for your 9th grade year, you are considered prospect age and unable to attend because of the dead period. Please visit our site for more information and to register https://www.seminolesoccercamps.com/virtualcamp

Everyone here at FSU soccer hopes you have a wonderful summer and we hope to see you again soon!

Nathan

Thanks for that explanation re: ND. I knew bout the ivies just wasn't sure if they were in on that deal or not.
At least in 2012 when my kid went there it was year to year, and the coach (Waldrum) would play total aid well. So if the kid was up for need assistance, as ND did not give merit money, he would redirect to others. But it was at best a single year and verbal on subsequent years.
Still - the coaches got them in which was our goal.

My DD still plays (until the 'rona) 2X a week and found her best soccer days after leaving the team (playing co-ed).

How you play the money depends on major, sport, race.

At least in 2012 when my kid went there it was year to year, and the coach (Waldrum) would play total aid well. So if the kid was up for need assistance, as ND did not give merit money, he would redirect to others. But it was at best a single year and verbal on subsequent years.
Still - the coaches got them in which was our goal.

My DD still plays (until the 'rona) 2X a week and found her best soccer days after leaving the team (playing co-ed).

How you play the money depends on major, sport, race.
Wait? Come again? Did you say How you play the money depends on the major, sport and RACE? Do get more money because of your race in women's soccer?

This has been far and away the most informative thread on this entire board -- it has been incredible helpful to me as I have helped my DD navigate this process over the past year.

I have a question as my DD has been asked to provide game film (not highlights). Does my DD send them an entire game or halves of multiple games or short 5-10 minute segments? Any input would be appreciated!

This has been far and away the most informative thread on this entire board -- it has been incredible helpful to me as I have helped my DD navigate this process over the past year.

I have a question as my DD has been asked to provide game film (not highlights). Does my DD send them an entire game or halves of multiple games or short 5-10 minute segments? Any input would be appreciated!

I think it’s ok to ask to clarify - say you can provide any of those (check that, your KID needs to say that). I have heard coaches express preference for full games and halves over highlights. My suggestion (if not comfortable asking the coach) would prob be to provide whichever shows her in frame - so coaches can see on and off the ball - and then offer up the other formats as well.

I think it’s ok to ask to clarify - say you can provide any of those (check that, your KID needs to say that). I have heard coaches express preference for full games and halves over highlights. My suggestion (if not comfortable asking the coach) would prob be to provide whichever shows her in frame - so coaches can see on and off the ball - and then offer up the other formats as well.
Thanks for the input! I will have her follow up and ask if there is a preference of full game vs halves.

It has been a long road and I have had more than my share of beefs on this forum but as you will find out it goes really fast and you just sort of have to enjoy the time spent with your player. At the end of the day that is what matter most. I am really feel fortunate that the end of her club career happened before the GDA vs. ECNL debacle started and I am glad that her last year of college soccer happened before all hell broke loose with Covid. If this has taught me anything is that we all need to enjoy the ride because you can never tell when a good thing will come to an end.
True that my friend ;)

Thanks for the input! I will have her follow up and ask if there is a preference of full game vs halves.

My DD was asked on numerous occasions to send whole game film. I believe they like to see a progression. Also in my DDs case, she plays multiple positions, so they wanted to see that throughout the course of the game. I'd ust send the whole game.

The offer is typically just an athletic offer. This is all you typically know when you are verbally accepting an offer. She accepted the offer in July going into her senior year. In the fall she still had to apply to the school. This process also includes applying for financial and academic scholarships. In February she signed her NLI and scholarship paperwork. In March she got her acceptance letter to the school. In April she was awarded an academic scholarship independent of soccer. In late May she paid her deposit and accepted her spot in the school. That was our process.

Thanks so much for taking me through your process. I understand better now, as I was wondering how you could commit without fully knowing the final cost or acceptance into the program. Makes more sense now. Definitely an interesting process for sure.

Any good tips out there for 03/04 players trying to get recruited? Seems that since most D1 women's soccer players are reporting to school. If that's the case I'm sure they'll start trying soon. If they're training on campus and the season looks like it will start in the Spring of 2021, can't schools invite players to ID Camps?

Any good tips out there for 03/04 players trying to get recruited? Seems that since most D1 women's soccer players are reporting to school. If that's the case I'm sure they'll start trying soon. If they're training on campus and the season looks like it will start in the Spring of 2021, can't schools invite players to ID Camps?
This is the most recent information that I have received:
Date: Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 2:31 PM
Subject: FSU Soccer and Mark Krikorian Soccer Academy Update
To: Nathan Minion <nminion@fsu.edu>

Good Evening,

I hope this email finds you safe and healthy. I wanted to send an update to our subscriber list about our camps here at FSU.

Currently the NCAA is in a dead period which prohibits any camps with prospect age players (2020, 2021,2022, 2023). The dead period was extended last week until August 31st. Our hope is to have ID camps this fall around some of our home games if the NCAA and campus allows us to host them.

For our younger soccer players, campus is still limiting groups on campus, so we will not have any residential or day camps this summer.

We do have a Virtual Tactics camp that will be held July 11th. This is perfect for 6th, 7th, 8th, and rising 9th graders and their parents. Unfortunately, if you have started class for your 9th grade year, you are considered prospect age and unable to attend because of the dead period. Please visit our site for more information and to register https://www.seminolesoccercamps.com/virtualcamp

Everyone here at FSU soccer hopes you have a wonderful summer and we hope to see you again soon!

Nathan

Dead period is til August 31. Probably will not be hearing anything for coaches until September.

Back