Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

What program put her through so much soccer like that if you don;t mine sharing with us? I tore my ACL when I was 29 in a church basketball league. I played hoops since I was 7 and played high school and then everyday until I tore it. Sorry to hear about that for your dd :( When my dd played with Tad Bobak we practiced two times a week and then he gave the girls off April through August. I loved it then parents were complaining that the time off would set them back and 4 years later they sell soccer 365 24/7 soccer.
She plays for a big reputable club but don't want to implicate anyone. Before we hit ECNL at age 14 we only practiced twice per week and one optional clinic (which everyone did). Once ECNL we went 3 times per week + 1 fitness day, then games most weekend days. Basically Friday off. That's how its been for last 3+ years. I suppose it's too much when you add in HS soccer, though the intensity of HS soccer isn't nearly what her club team is even though it's 5 days per week. I guess it just depends what works for your DD and your family. My kid has thrived in this environment despite the ACL set back. She will ascend to whatever heights she wants to and this environment has helped her create her own work ethic which has translated into working on her game/body almost everyday.

She plays for a big reputable club but don't want to implicate anyone. Before we hit ECNL at age 14 we only practiced twice per week and one optional clinic (which everyone did). Once ECNL we went 3 times per week + 1 fitness day, then games most weekend days. Basically Friday off. That's how its been for last 3+ years. I suppose it's too much when you add in HS soccer, though the intensity of HS soccer isn't nearly what her club team is even though it's 5 days per week. I guess it just depends what works for your DD and your family. My kid has thrived in this environment despite the ACL set back. She will ascend to whatever heights she wants to and this environment has helped her create her own work ethic which has translated into working on her game/body almost everyday.
Thanks for sharing and I understand not wanting to implicate anyone. That is over use but I let my kid train for 16 months before the DA when she was 12 and 13. Big mistake on my part but I was new to this arena and was told this is the new way for girls. My dd team trained like the MNT because the WNT girls wanted to be equal I was told. Insane training that I believe no one has or will every train girls like that ever again.

Thanks for sharing and I understand not wanting to implicate anyone. That is over use but I let my kid train for 16 months before the DA when she was 12 and 13. Big mistake on my part but I was new to this arena and was told this is the new way for girls. My dd team trained like the MNT because the WNT girls wanted to be equal I was told. Insane training that I believe no one has or will every train girls like that ever again.

I'm to a fan of the GDA, but on thing I do admire is their focus (supposedly) on development of # of games kids will play in a year, week, weekend. Yes there are more trainings, but fewer games and the whole basis behind it is so kids can work on development. Now depending on the club, that may or may not be happening but that is the goal. @Dubs sorry to hear about your daughter. That's a sucky situation to be in and hope she returns to full health!

I'm to a fan of the GDA, but on thing I do admire is their focus (supposedly) on development of # of games kids will play in a year, week, weekend. Yes there are more trainings, but fewer games and the whole basis behind it is so kids can work on development. Now depending on the club, that may or may not be happening but that is the goal. @Dubs sorry to hear about your daughter. That's a sucky situation to be in and hope she returns to full health!
Im assuming you're not a fan of DA but you like less games? I liked that idea too but girls will be girls. Talk to refs. They ALL tell me girls are way more physical than the males. It's true. I watched boys play last night and they don;t do what the girls do when they get even.

Appreciate the postive thoughts. I have no doubt she will return better than before (she has no choice ;)). You make a good point about it depending on clubs. People need to really understand that it has very little to do with platform (DA or ECNL) because each are truly governed by the club and club philosophy. Sure they provide a framework and some oversight, but it will ultimately fall on the DOC of the club and the coaches as to how curriculum is administered. That will never change. As many have said, get with the best coach you can who focuses on development from an early age and you'll be on the right track. Then worry about exposure/team when you get to the teens.. If you're lucky, you can get with great coach/club/team that is in either DA/ECNL when the time comes and exposure is built in.

It's funny, but the lack of games is my major gripe...I don't think there are enough emphasis on games in the DA....one game per day rule is perfect.....but having to take 4 full days (plus travel) to play a 3 game show case is expensive and not being allowed to play non-DA opposition.....you need a training:game balance but the 4:1 ratio neglects the facts that games are huge for competition/decisions/overall development....not to mention 4:1 often ends up being closer to 8:1....I'd prefer 3:2.....the street ballers in Europe and South America play games v each other every day for hours....too many games is not an issue in this country imo (apart from crazy tournaments where you can see up to 3 games in one day!!!)

@Dubs good luck to your DD moving forwards

It's what these clubs are selling to top goats these days. My dd played with and against some tough goats and most of the best of the best are being home schooled by daddy and or a tutor. These are can;t miss talented players and I hope they make some money down the road. I know OM is all set.

"Can't miss"... until they tear an ACL or asshole daddy pushes them to the point they disappear with their 16-year old boyfriend.

It's funny, but the lack of games is my major gripe...I don't think there are enough emphasis on games in the DA....one game per day rule is perfect.....but having to take 4 full days (plus travel) to play a 3 game show case is expensive and not being allowed to play non-DA opposition.....you need a training:game balance but the 4:1 ratio neglects the facts that games are huge for competition/decisions/overall development....not to mention 4:1 often ends up being closer to 8:1....I'd prefer 3:2.....the street ballers in Europe and South America play games v each other every day for hours....too many game sis not an issue in this country imo (apart from crazy tournaments where you can see up to 3 games in one day!!!)
Winner!!!!

"Can't miss"... until they tear an ACL or asshole daddy pushes them to the point they disappear with their 16-year old boyfriend.
Watch out for boyfriends. My dd old team had a boy friend blacklist and it was highly discouraged to even entertain that idea. I would hear shit like this, "did you hear that so and so has a boy friend." Talk about being watched at 13. Biggest double standard to our precious girls. Some girls practically have to be perfect to make it these day for YNT or top top college. I would have had to move to Montana and lock my dd in the basement with a soccer ball during snow time so she can be the best. Truly sad!!!

and for the record, my dd has never had a boyfriend (That I know of...lol). They like her but she is very hard to please. I like that about her. Very high standards and one big lie detector and street smart detective she is. She has learned the hard way how some men (coaches, docs) talk and behave towards woman and girls. She is my hero for being true to herself. I love her truly @oh canada and I actually do care about ALL kids. This is not just about my kid dude......

Im assuming you're not a fan of DA but you like less games? I liked that idea too but girls will be girls. Talk to refs. They ALL tell me girls are way more physical than the males. It's true. I watched boys play last night and they don;t do what the girls do when they get even.

Not a big fan of it, but was fortunate to have an amazing doc/coaching staff.

I like the idea of limiting the number of games per year. Not having a limit vs. having a low limit...where's the compromise. My biggest complain is how spring/summer tournaments (not showcases) work. In many instances, my daughter has played 5-6 games in 3 days multiple weekends out of the month. Even if it's 2 weekends, that's anywhere between 10-12 games IN A MONTH. I enjoy watching them play but have to admit it's very hard on their bodies.

While GDA showcases are expensive and overkill (GDA does get a kickback from Anthony travel-up to 15%) I do agree that the 4/3 model is not as good as the 3/2. ECNL was great...Get in, play Friday, Saturday and Sunday and be home. Lastly, the December showcase is usually hosted right before finals. The first year our daughter didn't go because of this and so did a lot of her teammates. Coach wasn't happy but understood that school is first. on the flip side, the boys have it easy as they have theirs during thanksgiving break. smh

It's funny, but the lack of games is my major gripe...I don't think there are enough emphasis on games in the DA....one game per day rule is perfect.....but having to take 4 full days (plus travel) to play a 3 game show case is expensive and not being allowed to play non-DA opposition.....you need a training:game balance but the 4:1 ratio neglects the facts that games are huge for competition/decisions/overall development....not to mention 4:1 often ends up being closer to 8:1....I'd prefer 3:2.....the street ballers in Europe and South America play games v each other every day for hours....too many games is not an issue in this country imo (apart from crazy tournaments where you can see up to 3 games in one day!!!)

@Dubs good luck to your DD moving forwards
Read this article. https://www.mcall.com/ct-90mins-guardiola-epl-holiday-matches-will-kill-players-20180103-story.html

EPL teams play 4 games over the course of 11 days over the Holidays. Every year they see way more injuries during this period. Ideally all players including our dd's should not be playing more than 1 game a week after the age of 13 This will allow recovery and prevent injury. Playing soccer is not like volleyball or softball were you can play a bunch of games in a row. Street soccer fields are way smaller and involve way less running. I know that most parent's would be upset to drive a long distance and stay in a hotel just to see one game. They want see their kids play in multiple games while limiting their expenses. But I say stop putting your kids health secondary to your own needs. Demand that your teams play less tournaments. At minimum encourage your clubs to run tournaments that don't have teams playing multiple games per day. At a minimum if you must play showcases/tournaments attend ones like those that are run with rules similar to the DA that require a day of rest. Put your kids health ahead of your pocket book. Support the 21st Century Model being voted on in College Soccer that allows the sport to be run over 2 seasons limiting the amount of games played per week.

If you don't support this then I suggest that during everyone of your kids games you spend the entire time they are on the field running around the outside of the field yourself splitting your time between running and jogging. Let's see how you can last and how easy you recover.

Read this article. https://www.mcall.com/ct-90mins-guardiola-epl-holiday-matches-will-kill-players-20180103-story.html

EPL teams play 4 games over the course of 11 days over the Holidays. Every year they see way more injuries during this period. Ideally all players including our dd's should not be playing more than 1 game a week after the age of 13 This will allow recovery and prevent injury. Playing soccer is not like volleyball or softball were you can play a bunch of games in a row. Street soccer fields are way smaller and involve way less running. I know that most parent's would be upset to drive a long distance and stay in a hotel just to see one game. They want see their kids play in multiple games while limiting their expenses. But I say stop putting your kids health secondary to your own needs. Demand that your teams play less tournaments. At minimum encourage your clubs to run tournaments that don't have teams playing multiple games per day. At a minimum if you must play showcases/tournaments attend ones like those that are run with rules similar to the DA that require a day of rest. Put your kids health ahead of your pocket book. Support the 21st Century Model being voted on in College Soccer that allows the sport to be run over 2 seasons limiting the amount of games played per week.

If you don't support this then I suggest that during everyone of your kids games you spend the entire time they are on the field running around the outside of the field yourself splitting your time between running and jogging. Let's see how you can last and how easy you recover.

You picked the wrong dad for this challenge - I won't get into my sporting past but each year I run at least one 5k (16:32 PR), one 10k (33.58 PR ) one half (1:22:49PR) one full marathon (2:56:01)....this is in addition to my two sports leagues

As for your original point, I CLEARLY stated that more than one game per day is bad for kids and I keep mine away from that....street soccer fields come in all shapes and sizes....They are often grass parks and involve more running as the kids play for 2 hours a night and 5 hours on a weekend....the day of rest at a showcase is a deal that benefits Anthony Travel and the hotels I can tell you that much....

You picked the wrong dad for this challenge - I won't get into my sporting past but each year I run at least one 5k (16:32 PR), one 10k (33.58 PR ) one half (1:22:49PR) one full marathon (2:56:01)....this is in addition to my two sports leagues

As for your original point, I CLEARLY stated that more than one game per day is bad for kids and I keep mine away from that....street soccer fields come in all shapes and sizes....They are often grass parks and involve more running as the kids play for 2 hours a night and 5 hours on a weekend....the day of rest at a showcase is a deal that benefits Anthony Travel and the hotels I can tell you that much....
Happy to see that you might be the one Dad here that could play a full soccer game multiple days in a row with no injuries!

Ok runner dad (jk), I challenge you to a 5k next time I'm up in LA. I need someone to go after since I win all these old dude races down in OC. My knee is even better with the new cadaver tenon I got from a guy name Bruce who happen to be a runner.

Back