Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

It's what these clubs are selling to top goats these days. My dd played with and against some tough goats and most of the best of the best are being home schooled by daddy and or a tutor. These are can;t miss talented players and I hope they make some money down the road. I know OM is all set.
How many “best of the best” are being home schooled?

How many “best of the best” are being home schooled?
I don't know all of the best, but it seems a tread has started. How about this question to the older college dads. How many kids back in the day skipped HS all together to train full time for soccer? I'm curious to know

I don't know all of the best, but it seems a tread has started. How about this question to the older college dads. How many kids back in the day skipped HS all together to train full time for soccer? I'm curious to know

It's very far and few between. I think it's dumb to tell a kid (HS) that she can't play HS sports. Especially when they take the whole month of December and part of January off. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably encourage my kid to take the winter months off just from a recovery perspective. Think about it...ECNL practices 2--4 days a week and games on the weekend (they also compete in other leagues NPL, ODP, etc). that's 4-6 days a week. GDA has a mandatory 3-4 day training plus games on the weekends. Granted the number of games is FAR less than ECNL (which I like) but still it's a huge commitment.

They go from these clubs to HS training 5-6 days a week then 1-3 games a week...where's the rest? After HS season it's back to the grind until July...take a month off and back in the saddle. It's no wonder that our HS kids have a high ACL injury rate among players. The misconception is that if you're not training your'e not getting better. With soccer, if you're not training, REST! cause you need it

I don't know how far back in the day you are reaching but it seems lately that the ones that weren't committed skipped and the ones that were stayed unless their college coaches explicitly told them to stay out.

Way back in the day ODP and National Team camps came first, and if the HS coaches didn't like it then oh well. They usually got over it pretty fast.

It's very far and few between. I think it's dumb to tell a kid (HS) that she can't play HS sports. Especially when they take the whole month of December and part of January off. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably encourage my kid to take the winter months off just from a recovery perspective. Think about it...ECNL practices 2--4 days a week and games on the weekend (they also compete in other leagues NPL, ODP, etc). that's 4-6 days a week. GDA has a mandatory 3-4 day training plus games on the weekends. Granted the number of games is FAR less than ECNL (which I like) but still it's a huge commitment.

They go from these clubs to HS training 5-6 days a week then 1-3 games a week...where's the rest? After HS season it's back to the grind until July...take a month off and back in the saddle. It's no wonder that our HS kids have a high ACL injury rate among players. The misconception is that if you're not training your'e not getting better. With soccer, if you're not training, REST! cause you need it
Mr Jones, where are you getting your Facts? Reading all that sounds like borderline child abuse.

Mr Jones, where are you getting your Facts? Reading all that sounds like borderline child abuse.

my thoughts exactly.

ECNL
Seasons
Sept-Late November. Break. Resume February/March-june/July
Practice 2-3 days a week with games on The Weekend.
No caps on games per weekend/tournament. They can go to Surf, Silverlake, Davis, etc. and play 6 games in 3 days. Those tourney happen a lot during the summer.
ECNL teams can still play in other leagues (a lot of clubs do) which doubles the amount of games during the seasonal months.

GDA
Mid-Late August. Break December. Resume training (no games) in January. Finish in June/July.
Only play a limited number of games per weekend. No outside leagues. Showcases usually last 4 days, with a 1 day rest day in between.
NO high school soccer.

High School Soccer
Starts first weekend in November and lasts until Mid February.

As you can see, kids who play higher level soccer DO NOT get a break, even if they play HS. It's continuous. Those are probably not the 100% facts but they're pretty darn close. Again, just talking about kids who play in the top two leagues in the country-ECNL and GDA. They both have their good and bad.

my thoughts exactly.

ECNL
Seasons
No caps on games per weekend/tournament. They can go to Surf, Silverlake, Davis, etc. and play 6 games in 3 days. Those tourney happen a lot during the summer.
ECNL teams can still play in other leagues (a lot of clubs do) which doubles the amount of games during the seasonal months.

GDA
Mid-Late August. Break December. Resume training (no games) in January. Finish in June/July.
Only play a limited number of games per weekend. No outside leagues. Showcases usually last 4 days, with a 1 day rest day in between.
NO high school soccer.

High School Soccer

As you can see, kids who play higher level soccer DO NOT get a break, even if they play HS. It's continuous. Those are probably not the 100% facts but they're pretty darn close. Again, just talking about kids who play in the top two leagues in the country-ECNL and GDA. They both have their good and bad.
You just watered down your last statement. Who told you all this about ECNL and HS Soccer?

You just watered down your last statement. Who told you all this about ECNL and HS Soccer?

no one needs to tell when you've lived it. What is the training schedule for your kid? What lvl does he/she play? It's pretty spot on...for reals and if your kids plays high school there is virtually NO BREAK for the kids. Especially if they're underclassman. Reason? Because after ECNL/GDA playoffs they have July viewing tourneys.

Please let's not make this another off-topic thread where a poster that I've blocked tell us all about his kid.

Trying to pull this back to college recruiting...what are the parents of sophmores and juniors in H.S. seeing/hearing under the new recruiting rules? I haven't heard of any frosh or 8th graders giving verbals to a school, so in that sense it appears the new rules are working for the benefit of the kids.

I do know for a fact that the college coaches see both DA and ECNL as equal leagues and attend both league's showcases equally. So, if anyone is contemplating playing in one league because they believe it will give them a better shot at making it into xxx college, that is not bearing out in reality.

no one needs to tell when you've lived it. What is the training schedule for your kid? What lvl does he/she play? It's pretty spot on...for reals and if your kids plays high school there is virtually NO BREAK for the kids. Especially if they're underclassman. Reason? Because after ECNL/GDA playoffs they have July viewing tourneys.
See @Soccerhelper....that’s what reality versus speculation looks like...and mostly foolish generalizations.

Here are the Facts Mr Jones from my tree. Keep in mind that each HS soccer coach is different in how they handle ECNL players and YNT players. We have two ECNL players and our GK (Amazing BTW) gave up DA so she could play her last year of HS soccer for her school. Thank you CR.

ECNL practices 1.5 times a week on average from August thru before Turkey Day and has a game on the weekend. This is all to HELP them to train to possibly play in college BTW. Sometimes AZ comes and you play back to back or you go to AZ for a back to back. Three showcase. DA seems to be the same.

DA practices or trains for a chance for a YNT call up -4days days a week on the field, another day running, watch some videos and another day of watching soccer on tv, some futsal and more juggling and hitting the ball against the wall all alone at home. Eat super healthy too.

ECNL takes break before Thanksgiving. Some teams opted for more games at Thanksgiving time. My family opted for a vacation :) We do have choices. BTW, I paid my fair share of the tournament dues to be unified and a team player with the other parents :)

DA was flying to Florida skipping school sometime in December 10 for YNT opportunity

HS Soccer started early December with a few practices a week before school got out. One tournament. My kid didn't play in one game so others could play and very little of the other games. No more of those for her HS team next year.

All the girls took some great time off over the break and came back and played Los Al Jan 2nd. Now the season starts Mr Jones. Two games a week and with rest in between and then if were lucky, CIF playoffs. Two weeks off and then ECNL.

I would love to see how Coach Chavez handles his DA Soccer Players with HS Soccer and then more DA Soccer. Anyone know? He coaches 04'

Please let's not make this another off-topic thread where a poster that I've blocked tell us all about his kid.

Trying to pull this back to college recruiting...what are the parents of sophmores and juniors in H.S. seeing/hearing under the new recruiting rules? I haven't heard of any frosh or 8th graders giving verbals to a school, so in that sense it appears the new rules are working for the benefit of the kids.

I do know for a fact that the college coaches see both DA and ECNL as equal leagues and attend both league's showcases equally. So, if anyone is contemplating playing in one league because they believe it will give them a better shot at making it into xxx college, that is not bearing out in reality.
Oh Canada, they asked me question dudes. Please don;t ask me any, thanks

ECNL
Seasons
High School Soccer

ECNL teams do not play 6 games in a weekend tournament. At the showcases it is one game a day over 3-4 days. HS generally starts training after Thanksgiving with some type of a break over the holidays before most of games happening between Jan-Feb

ECNL teams do not play 6 games in a weekend tournament. At the showcases it is one game a day over 3-4 days. HS generally starts training after Thanksgiving with some type of a break over the holidays before most of games happening between Jan-Feb

I was talking about summer tourneys...not showcases. my bad!

Totally agree with this. My DD is just coming back from ACL and it has definitely been a time of reflection. Though she has attacked her recovery with the same ferocity as her soccer career, there has been time for her body to actually rest and recover. She has worked on other things, in terms of the weight room and getting her body right for the next level. She has also had a chance to REALLY focus on school and the SAT/ACT. It's incredible to think that she has been on the grind with soccer since age 9 (though she did play other sports through middle school) without a real break. Don't get me wrong...there's no place she'd rather be than the pitch, but this injury has been a blessing in other ways. Now back to the grind!

It's a free country in America. Ignore me and my kid please Canada. I would appreciate that a lot.
My dd worked her ass off last night so I went out and got her a double scoop of mint chip ice cream just now. No cake though :)

my thoughts exactly.

ECNL
Seasons

GDA
NO high school soccer.

High School Soccer

You are correct. My DD's team plays both ECNL and NPL. NPL games are supposed to be more to get girls that don't get as much time in ECNL games more field time, but everyone still plays. Then we have 3 ECNL events + playoffs + Silverlakes. There is about 2 1/2 weeks of downtime before we're back at it again. It really doesn't stop.

Totally agree with this. My DD is just coming back from ACL and it has definitely been a time of reflection. Though she has attacked her recovery with the same ferocity as her soccer career, there has been time for her body to actually rest and recover. She has worked on other things, in terms of the weight room and getting her body right for the next level. She has also had a chance to REALLY focus on school and the SAT/ACT. It's incredible to think that she has been on the grind with soccer since age 9 (though she did play other sports through middle school) without a real break. Don't get me wrong...there's no place she'd rather be than the pitch, but this injury has been a blessing in other ways. Now back to the grind!
What program put her through so much soccer like that if you don;t mine sharing with us? I tore my ACL when I was 29 in a church basketball league. I played hoops since I was 7 and played high school and then everyday until I tore it. Sorry to hear about that for your dd :( When my dd played with Tad Bobak we practiced two times a week and then he gave the girls off April through August. I loved it then parents were complaining that the time off would set them back and 4 years later they sell soccer 365 24/7 soccer.

What program put her through so much soccer like that if you don;t mine sharing with us? I tore my ACL when I was 29 in a church basketball league. I played hoops since I was 7 and played high school and then everyday until I tore it. Sorry to hear about that for your dd :( When my dd played with Tad Bobak we practiced two times a week and then he gave the girls off April through August. I loved it then parents were complaining that the time off would set them back and 4 years later they sell soccer 365 24/7 soccer.

FYI: Girls are 2-8 times more likely to tear their ACL than boys and agree...soccer is a multi-million dollar industry.

Back