Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Less then 3% make it to D1 and certainly a percentage from that won’t even play and another percentage will only average 500 minutes per year.

IMO it’s all about education and getting some free money to pay for it.

While those numbers are kid of low (remember every year hundreds of schools d1) have scholarships left untaken) it's not all about D1. Go somewhere where you're gonna get some money, not have loans when it's all said and done, and enjoy the college experience.

While those numbers are kid of low (remember every year hundreds of schools d1) have scholarships left untaken) it's not all about D1. Go somewhere where you're gonna get some money, not have loans when it's all said and done, and enjoy the college experience.
those numbers are posted on the last NCAA website and they're still pretty accurate, D1 is less likely to hand out "full" rides, those 14 scholarships are divided up between 14 players, D2 is about as generous however, D3 does "merit" based and is much more generous, if grades are good going in, the money is BIG, the chances are your kid plays beyond the 1.5 year average, gets a good education and can still live the dream all 4 years (because there's NOTHING after that for girls)...enjoy the ride!

please enlighten us as to what's after college soccer (less than 1% will go pro)...

Well, one of my players did actually go pro and got to travel europe and play in the Champions League. She parlayed that experience into collegiate coaching. Not making millions but has a nice career being involved in the sport she loves.

Not many slots in Pro women's soccer as there are in the NFL or in baseball (playing in the minors in baseball is a grind and not gonna get you rich either) but if the talent is there and the willingness to keep playing there are opportunities all over the world.

Well, one of my players did actually go pro and got to travel europe and play in the Champions League. She parlayed that experience into collegiate coaching. Not making millions but has a nice career being involved in the sport she loves.

Not many slots in Pro women's soccer as there are in the NFL or in baseball (playing in the minors in baseball is a grind and not gonna get you rich either) but if the talent is there and the willingness to keep playing there are opportunities all over the world.
that's great for that 1 player however, 1 in how many? My point is, the odds are not in their favor, education is more important as soccer will not last forever and they'll need to be able to fall back on something they can do later in life, don't get me wrong, I love the fact they can play on but, the reality is, it's not going to last forever

I agree that playing in baseball minor leagues is a grind that makes no money, However, many minor leaguers got a big signing bonus out of high school of college, probably the biggest check they will see in their lives. If it is judiciously structured they can live better than those guys on their AA team that are playing baseball because they love it and/or their only alternative is driving for Uber.

that's great for that 1 player however, 1 in how many? My point is, the odds are not in their favor, education is more important as soccer will not last forever and they'll need to be able to fall back on something they can do later in life, don't get me wrong, I love the fact they can play on but, the reality is, it's not going to last forever

Agreed education is important, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't crushing anyone's dreams with your absolute statement of "there's NOTHING after that for girls" ;)

Agreed education is important, but I just wanted to make sure you weren't crushing anyone's dreams with your absolute statement of "there's NOTHING after that for girls" ;)
lol, it's all about living the dream, there's a place for all of the player's to play on at the collegiate level, they just need to be ready for the reality when and if it's over. I'm watching as our oldest will be playing her last year and youngest playing her second year at the collegiate level and it's more dad knowing it does come to an end

lol, it's all about living the dream, there's a place for all of the player's to play on at the collegiate level, they just need to be ready for the reality when and if it's over. I'm watching as our oldest will be playing her last year and youngest playing her second year at the collegiate level and it's more dad knowing it does come to an end
What about pro ball bro? I guess most of the girls will end up playing adult rec league with all the other moms that still play the great game :)

What about pro ball bro? I guess most of the girls will end up playing adult rec league with all the other moms that still play the great game :)
The math doesn't look good, less than 1% play pro (of the 3% that play at the collegiate level, not good odds)...

are girls/women coming out of college now looking to play professionally anywhere because they love the game that much, or because they've been narrowly focused in a rigid soccer culture since 5yrs that restricted their free time and kept them away from alternate experiences? When you see yourself as only one thing for so long, it's difficult to see yourself as anything else at 21yrs. It's a rhetorical question...something to ponder.

are girls/women coming out of college now looking to play professionally anywhere because they love the game that much, or because they've been narrowly focused in a rigid soccer culture since 5yrs that restricted their free time and kept them away from alternate experiences? When you see yourself as only one thing for so long, it's difficult to see yourself as anything else at 21yrs. It's a rhetorical question...something to ponder.
It's what these clubs are selling to top goats these days. My dd played with and against some tough goats and most of the best of the best are being home schooled by daddy and or a tutor. These are can;t miss talented players and I hope they make some money down the road. I know OM is all set.

Back