Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

It will not eliminate the ability to commit early, but you're correct on the communication part. Ultimately if a recruit can't communicate with a coaching staff, in theory it will deter any further planned early commits.

How would you be able to commit early if you cannot communicate with the staff? There always seems to be a loophole, but I can't figure it out with this rule change. I also think that would garner the unwelcome attention of the NCAA if a kid committed early.

100% believe all communication should not be allowed prior to start junior year. That includes communication w club coaches. Kids need to be kids and already have enough stress to deal with.

How would you be able to commit early if you cannot communicate with the staff? There always seems to be a loophole, but I can't figure it out with this rule change. I also think that would garner the unwelcome attention of the NCAA if a kid committed early.

One such way would be at a camp... I haven’t read into the new rule specifics, but currently for instance prior to sept 1 junior year players can not communicate directly with coaches at places such as showcases without there being a pre-existing connection, for instance, having met previously at a camp, and even then conversations are usually kept incredibly brief and mostly to greetings and how are you’s.

I would imagine the new rule would be a huge boost to camp numbers

One such way would be at a camp... I haven’t read into the new rule specifics, but currently for instance prior to sept 1 junior year players can not communicate directly with coaches at places such as showcases without there being a pre-existing connection, for instance, having met previously at a camp, and even then conversations are usually kept incredibly brief and mostly to greetings and how are you’s.

I would imagine the new rule would be a huge boost to camp numbers

The NCAA changed the rule last year to preclude recruiting discussions from occurring at camps.

The NCAA changed the rule last year to preclude recruiting discussions from occurring at camps.

camp+ ask kid to come through campus on an unofficial visit = offer?

Camp+ recruit through club coach + ask club coach to have parent call at a specific day and specific time = offer?

Just spitballing. I know Colorado just picked up a 2022 from Blues so there must be some way around the whole thing for a freshman to commit

Camp+ recruit through club coach + ask club coach to have parent call at a specific day and specific time = offer?

Just spitballing. I know Colorado just picked up a 2022 from Blues so there must be some way around the whole thing for a freshman to commit

The rule won’t be in place until April, so kids can commit now. Parents won’t be able to call. That’s what the new rule prevents.

Can’t talk to kids on unofficial visits anymore. That was a rule put in place last year.

What about discussions through third parties?

Maybe, but that’s getting more and more questionable. If a club coach is just forwarding emails, that doesn’t seem to be following the rule.

I just want to see the first kid commit early after the announcement of the rule. What are they going to say? The coach didn’t contact me and I didn’t contact the coach, but some how we struck a deal? If I’m a coach or a player, I wouldn’t want to risk that.

There could be some commits kept quiet, but verbal commits don’t mean much unless they are public.

I don't understand why there needs to be a rule. Those who want to wait can wait already. These rules seem unclear with all kinds of wiggle room. Commits will happen either way but yeah now it seems it will be more dicey for the student-athlete since it will be under the table and not public knowledge. Welcome to the "prohibition era" of athletic recruiting.

I don't understand why there needs to be a rule. Those who want to wait can wait already. These rules seem unclear with all kinds of wiggle room. Commits will happen either way but yeah now it seems it will be more dicey for the student-athlete since it will be under the table and not public knowledge. Welcome to the "prohibition era" of athletic recruiting.

Nothing new. Coaches don't get fired for violating recruiting and eligibility rules, they get fired for getting caught.

I don't understand why there needs to be a rule. Those who want to wait can wait already.

Because those who do commit early impact those that don't commit early. There are only so many spots. So everyone is pressured into committing early regardless of whether they are ready. There is no reason for coaches and players to be pressured into committing before junior year. Look how bad the transfer rate has become with all these early commits. If anything, early committing is a vanity thing for parents and kids.

I don't see a private commitment as meaning much of anything. With a public commitment, at least the program faced potential repetitional harm if the commitment was not honored and the player wouldn't be recruited by other schools after the player committed. Those don't apply with a private commitment (whatever that is). It's like that saying: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I don't think the rules have been unclear. Everyone knows all the loopholes. But it looks like the NCAA finally closed the last few loopholes between this year's possible rule changes and the changes last year. The NCAA has already done this in other sports.

The "no communication" rule is set to be approved later next month. You will see a bunch of early commits between now and then.

The "no communication" rule is set to be approved later next month. You will see a bunch of early commits between now and then.

That should be make for some interesting conversations --

Coach to kid - "I want you to do something that will be illegal next month"

Because those who do commit early impact those that don't commit early. There are only so many spots. So everyone is pressured into committing early regardless of whether they are ready. There is no reason for coaches and players to be pressured into committing before junior year. Look how bad the transfer rate has become with all these early commits. If anything, early committing is a vanity thing for parents and kids.

I don't see a private commitment as meaning much of anything. With a public commitment, at least the program faced potential repetitional harm if the commitment was not honored and the player wouldn't be recruited by other schools after the player committed. Those don't apply with a private commitment (whatever that is). It's like that saying: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I don't think the rules have been unclear. Everyone knows all the loopholes. But it looks like the NCAA finally closed the last few loopholes between this year's possible rule changes and the changes last year. The NCAA has already done this in other sports.
This whole thread is about "the process." So what is the process now under the new rules? Just spend a giant amount of money traveling all over the country to do camps for schools that may or may not be interested in you because that is the only way to get to know a coach and program? Hope they may have or develop interest in you in so doing? What if you are completely barking up the wrong trees?? I mean there are only so many visits you can do in the summer before junior year when you are actually receiving communications.

I am open, and certainly optimistic that the changes will be positive, but seems it would've been nice to keep communication and un-official visits and simply limit when verbal commits could happen. And I still think sophomore year is a more realistic time for that due to the incredible stresses of junior year, and also the fact that some schools require more specific curriculums which need to be addressed prior to junior year. I am very glad that at least communication was moved up a bit. And, as I said, I am completely open and supportive of any process that is a benefit to student-athletes. Completely.

I suppose this could be an entirely new thread, but I guess it's relevant to this thread so I will go ahead and ask. I'm curious as to what everyone's experience has been in the past/recent past with respect to how the dynamics on a team changes as girls commit. In my scenario, my DD is one of two girls committed on her team (03 age group). Now with the rule change, it's definitely going to increase the stress for the rest of the girls and their families. Can anyone speak to positives & negatives as a result of this scenario? Do teams generally perform the same, better, worse? I guess what I'm asking is how much is this going to "F" up the rest of her club experience?

I suppose this could be an entirely new thread, but I guess it's relevant to this thread so I will go ahead and ask. I'm curious as to what everyone's experience has been in the past/recent past with respect to how the dynamics on a team changes as girls commit. In my scenario, my DD is one of two girls committed on her team (03 age group). Now with the rule change, it's definitely going to increase the stress for the rest of the girls and their families. Can anyone speak to positives & negatives as a result of this scenario? Do teams generally perform the same, better, worse? I guess what I'm asking is how much is this going to "F" up the rest of her club experience?

My player was the first to commit on her club team and it actually was good for the other players on the team because when the team manager handed out the recruiting profiles of the team to coaches on the sideline it showed who was committed and made it clear where a player was committed to. This made the coaches aware of who was available on the field so they didn't waste time trying to get in touch with players that were already committed. When the other highly regarded player on her team committed a month later her coach told us that it was a big weight off his shoulders that the two of them were committed so that he could stop fielding calls about them and could focus on the other girls.

I have heard stories both ways but that was my player's experience. For reference she is a '98 and was a 2016 grad (committed in 2014 as a sophomore during her high school soccer season).

My player was the first to commit on her club team and it actually was good for the other players on the team because when the team manager handed out the recruiting profiles of the team to coaches on the sideline it showed who was committed and made it clear where a player was committed to. This made the coaches aware of who was available on the field so they didn't waste time trying to get in touch with players that were already committed. When the other highly regarded player on her team committed a month later her coach told us that it was a big weight off his shoulders that the two of them were committed so that he could stop fielding calls about them and could focus on the other girls.

I have heard stories both ways but that was my player's experience. For reference she is a '98 and was a 2016 grad (committed in 2014 as a sophomore during her high school soccer season).
That definitely makes sense. When I spoke to my kid's coach about her committment, she was happy of course, but then stated "now she's done...I only have 17 more to go". I guess it's daunting to everyone involved. I just hope things stay positive for my daughter and she doesn't have to take a backseat because they're trying to promote the other players. She needs to be getting ready for what's to come and I don't want that to be lost in all of this...

Back