Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

For all the parents with High School students, have them send out emails to schools again. Season over for many schools this week and next. Let them know if your kid is playing in November, going to Surf Cup over Thanksgiving. Follow up in 2 weeks once you have schedules and email the shools again. Include links to youtube highlight videos and instagram videos.

It's crazy to look back to 2018 and remembering being told by a Doc, Coach many elite parents that college coaches don't like "club hoppers" and you best better not leave the family for another soccer family. If you look at today's college game, all I see is a lot of "College Hoppers." Some guys are leaving for greener pasture and skipping semifinals in football and a chance for a Natty. That's insane!!! Don't ever let a Doc lie and put fear in your kids or to the parents. Thank God I told those two losers to pound sand!!!

For all the parents with High School students, have them send out emails to schools again. Season over for many schools this week and next. Let them know if your kid is playing in November, going to Surf Cup over Thanksgiving. Follow up in 2 weeks once you have schedules and email the shools again. Include links to youtube highlight videos and instagram videos.
Thanks Paul. I will send this to my sister-in-law and a few pals who have some really good soccer kids. Gratis is always welcomed!!

Looking back - a 2012 recruit, it does not matter so much. The achievers achieve and the school has little to do with it.
The soccer part they do when living at home is the most important part because of the character it builds. I really don't know if the college was a waste of time or not. Mine is now off on her own. Still playing soccer because she loves it, doing professional things because she can. I guess for mainstream, college matters. But less and less.

On cycling forums, I rarely post about my soccer DD. On soccer forums, I rarely post about my youth cycling son.
We played the system for both kids and because the system is bigger than all of us, it matters. But as I said - not so much. If the kid really has talent, the school is getting more than the kid (parents) are getting.

It became apparent to me that college was mostly about branding. College added little other than adding the "recruited by Notre Dame NCAA 2010 Nat Champs", or "USA Cycling National Team and USAFA" on their resume's (my kids). Great for bragging, which I am doing now, but really didn't buy anyone much.
In the "end" these still 20 year olds, benefit more from the character and discipline that elite youth sports bring. Point is - if your kid is of that level, it matters relatively little if a college can see that. There are extremes of course, like don't send an Ivy capable kid to a community college, although that can still work.

Back