Re: Looking for teams / clubs?

Hello friends,

Because of the current circumstances, do you tend to think that there will be more or less people looking for new clubs / teams to join? My original thinking was that there would be some clubs / teams that will fold, causing many people to look for new teams. My other thought was that many kids will simply not play this season, and maybe wait for next season, or financial situations may make it impossible for some to play. What are your thoughts? Is anyone seeing any trends as of right now, or are we all in a wait in see what shakes out situation? I will be currently looking when we get back, but our situation is a bit different. Thoughts?

Hello friends,

Because of the current circumstances, do you tend to think that there will be more or less people looking for new clubs / teams to join? My original thinking was that there would be some clubs / teams that will fold, causing many people to look for new teams. My other thought was that many kids will simply not play this season, and maybe wait for next season, or financial situations may make it impossible for some to play. What are your thoughts? Is anyone seeing any trends as of right now, or are we all in a wait in see what shakes out situation? I will be currently looking when we get back, but our situation is a bit different. Thoughts?

Here's one factor to consider. Part of the issue is LA County is running later than everyone else, and LA City a little behind that. If LA doesn't cave and get moving along with the faster counties, or if the restrictions are too severe, it will cause players from the border areas to look for situations in other counties. You already see some people looking in the announcement boards.

Hard to guess and likely will vary depending on what area or level you play at.

Some of the associations have said they are expecting a 25% drop off and participation but not sure where that number comes from.

Did the youngers are ready do tryouts? Obviously there's less time for the regular cattle call type tryouts but not sure established teams use those that much anyway.

Will the higher priced "elite" club leagues take more of a hit vs Normal club? With the alphabet soup of these I have to think some will but only time will tell.

Hello friends,

I know mostly 2003/2004s. I know 3 DA players, so far, who will no longer be playing “club” soccer. They will play for
their high school, but no more club nonsense. They have excellent GPAs and can probably go to the college of their choice for grades not for soccer. So, they are done.

]

Did the youngers are ready do tryouts? Obviously there's less time for the regular cattle call type tryouts but not sure established teams use those that much anyway.

I doubt at this point anyone in any county will be able to do cattle call type tryouts until at the earliest late July, and by then if you don't have at least a rump of a team locked isn't it too late? Sure, the roster freezes this year will probably be a little lenient, but the reality is tryouts will likely be by invitation and on 11 v 11s (since space will already be at a premium if players are capped at 9 on the field at a time) they'll likely be some prescreening before hand before you are allowed to come.

For parents hopping, I don't see how you can reasonably make a decision. You won't be allowed on the field, won't get too much interaction with the coach, won't get to see the team scrimmage, and you won't even get to see the entire team practice (maybe you know where your kid stands if they get invited to practice with the A or the B squad).

The U18/19 age group is always difficult as historically some quit at that age, but for all other ages it is going to vary hugely based on level of the team.... ECNL teams are already turning people away, other teams may struggle...... the most serious players will stick with it, those who do it just for fun may walk away which is a shame but it is their choice.....

I doubt at this point anyone in any county will be able to do cattle call type tryouts until at the earliest late July, and by then if you don't have at least a rump of a team locked isn't it too late? Sure, the roster freezes this year will probably be a little lenient, but the reality is tryouts will likely be by invitation and on 11 v 11s (since space will already be at a premium if players are capped at 9 on the field at a time) they'll likely be some prescreening before hand before you are allowed to come.

For parents hopping, I don't see how you can reasonably make a decision. You won't be allowed on the field, won't get too much interaction with the coach, won't get to see the team scrimmage, and you won't even get to see the entire team practice (maybe you know where your kid stands if they get invited to practice with the A or the B squad).

In TX, for example, parents actually have to be on the field in case they have to attend to their player in case of injury or a cut. So you never know....

Back