Question for Parents of Olders

Try not to be concerned with size or weight too much because there is little you can do besides proper diet, genetics can't be trained or changed.

Have you player(s) work on there team work & skills: ball control, first touch, passing, speed of play and decisions. Receiving, trapping, dribbling, shooting, etc.

Some coaches will tell you skill is the number one factor for success in soccer. What skills? Passing is near the top of that list but that's not just a individual skill but a way to play team ball. Team is first in soccer not the individual and its important to act as a team together rather than acting alone on the field.

With the right amount of coaching, strategy, speed, motivation, and skill, size and weight don't necessarily have to be something that's required to be very successful in soccer.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. It’s hard to tell what is best for my child as I did not play/nor do I know anything about soccer so this feedback has been very helpful as I navigate this club soccer world. My child gets a lot of playing time with every team he has been on but has been in a different position with each coach he has had so I wasn’t sure if it was time to find one position or continue to have him be versatile.

Two thoughts/words of advice:
1. Don't forget you are a paying customer... or another way to say it... don't pay to be angry.
I've know parents who were so frustrated with the team, coach, something... yet paid over two grand annually to be there.

2. Find a realistic friend. Find someone who seems to understand soccer but also wants the best for kids... then let that person be able to speak realism back into you. I get emotionally up or down with stuff... and have a friend who is like, "don't be dumb."

Regarding, positions... I'd usually lean towards by U15/U16 need to have an idea of offensive role and interior v exterior. The differences between a CB and an outside back can be significant. Also, the difference between playing on the back line, midfield or front line can also be significant.
So, I wouldn't worry about a U16 switching between 8 and 10 or outside back and center back... but I'd lean away from seeing them switch from 9 to outside back.

Two thoughts/words of advice:
1. Don't forget you are a paying customer... or another way to say it... don't pay to be angry.
I've know parents who were so frustrated with the team, coach, something... yet paid over two grand annually to be there.

2. Find a realistic friend. Find someone who seems to understand soccer but also wants the best for kids... then let that person be able to speak realism back into you. I get emotionally up or down with stuff... and have a friend who is like, "don't be dumb."

Regarding, positions... I'd usually lean towards by U15/U16 need to have an idea of offensive role and interior v exterior. The differences between a CB and an outside back can be significant. Also, the difference between playing on the back line, midfield or front line can also be significant.
So, I wouldn't worry about a U16 switching between 8 and 10 or outside back and center back... but I'd lean away from seeing them switch from 9 to outside back.
I disagree, being versatile can make a difference for your player if he/she wants to play college ball. The difference would be between playing a different position on the field or sitting on the bench. 11 playing 3 or 9 playing 11 or 7 should not be an issue, same for all others. Some positions is very specific depending on Style of play, like 6 or 10. Goalkeeper is another animal, but being proficient with his/her feet is a must now.

At U littles play everywhere don't get locked into a position. Be proficient with both feet. If you were wondering about up at high levels and into college then the objective is to get on the field any way you can or else you are just a positional dummy at practice. The more value you have (versatile) the harder it is to not keep you or play you. If a defender goes down and there aren't any subs then if you have at least been exposed you could get an oppurtunity.

Versatility, without a doubt
In soccer at all levels and ages, your kid is one new player at his/her position away from riding the pine, or being cut. It doesn't matter how many years they've been with the club, all the practices they attended even just to watch when injured, or how many goals they've scored. That shiny new object that plays the 9 will unseat your kid in a millisecond. Not saying this is right, but its the reality and not the exception. This is why you have to be versatile and not specialize. Another reason is that soccer positions have become much less specialized and more fluid. You have to be a total soccer player. The striker is the first defender and the keeper is the first attacker. Even though you have to specialize as a keeper, the keeper's role has expanded significantly to more of a sweeper/keeper where you have to distribute the ball with your feet not much differently from that of a holding midfielder.

Even though you have to specialize as a keeper, the keeper's role has expanded significantly to more of a sweeper/keeper where you have to distribute the ball with your feet not much differently from that of a holding midfielder.
This has never been more true than this past weekend. Scored a goal that had the other team overloaded on one side, pass back to her drew two attacking her, her pass to opposite side gave us numbers and resulted in a goal. She also had two free kicks over a high line that resulted in two breakaways, both should have been goals but did score on one of them.

Back