Protect the players

I’m sure we have all seen some amazing refs that do well to control the game and keep it clean. We have also seen some (especially at the younger levels) that simply will not call anything.

In a scenario where we can see players getting kicked, tripped, pushed, even punched…what should be the appropriate response?

Keep playing and pray that nobody gets injured?

Pull the team off the field and refuse to play?

Teach the players how to deal with it and take advantage.

Sports is about learning to deal with challenges and obstacles

Stress the progress not the outcome, teach perspective, winning/losing is just a small part of the overall picture. Forget about whining, complaining, or arguing and just have the players focus on the games and their skills.

Teach the players how to deal with it and take advantage.

Sports is about learning to deal with challenges and obstacles

Stress the progress not the outcome, teach perspective, winning/losing is just a small part of the overall picture. Forget about whining, complaining, or arguing and just have the players focus on the games and their skills.
I understand what you’re saying and that is definitely true to a certain extent. But how do you teach a player to handle a punch in the back or a high stud tackle from behind? Hard to focus on skills at that point.

I understand what you’re saying and that is definitely true to a certain extent. But how do you teach a player to handle a punch in the back or a high stud tackle from behind? Hard to focus on skills at that point.

Dust yourself off, get up, continue playing, get some magic spray or ice if you have to, go back in make a difference, show your strength. Lots of different ways for payback just have to choose how and when. Players can figure it out.

I’m sure we have all seen some amazing refs that do well to control the game and keep it clean. We have also seen some (especially at the younger levels) that simply will not call anything.

In a scenario where we can see players getting kicked, tripped, pushed, even punched…what should be the appropriate response?

Keep playing and pray that nobody gets injured?

Pull the team off the field and refuse to play?
If the other coach is willing to help, the two of you have the option of pulling individual players.

If the other coach is unwilling to help, I’d say yes. If it isn’t safe, pull the team and explain why you’re doing it.

You’re under no obligation to let kids get injured. If you feel the need to “show your strength”, go join an adult league.

2017 El Clasico:

Early first half: took a violent elbow to the face.
1632510390503.png

92nd minute: scored the winning goal on the last kick of the game.
1632510547294.png

2017 El Clasico:

Early first half: took a violent elbow to the face.

92nd minute: scored the winning goal on the last kick of the game.
Not the same thing. Comparing adults playing as a career professionally and referees who would be dropped to lower divisions for consistent mistakes…

…to children and weekend refs.

Also I’m not talking about accidental fouls here and there. I’m talking about borderline violence and intentional malice that is left unchecked.

If the other coach is willing to help, the two of you have the option of pulling individual players.

If the other coach is unwilling to help, I’d say yes. If it isn’t safe, pull the team and explain why you’re doing it.

You’re under no obligation to let kids get injured. If you feel the need to “show your strength”, go join an adult league.
I agree with this. Has anyone seen a team or coach actually do something like that?

I agree with this. Has anyone seen a team or coach actually do something like that?
Yes. Coach pulled my daughter's team. Bad ref allowed very young kids to get violent and coach pulls entire team while his team is leading. Ref was reported. One of those refs that smile at the children and want to be their grandparent rather than the game ref.

Yes coaches will pull players if they think there out of control, need a few moments to reflect, etc. Getting the opposing coach(s) to cooperate is a bit more difficult.

What your describing is just part of the game, players at every level or age groups some unintentionally clumsy and others ranging from "professional" fouls to more reckless challenges.

Teachable moments, walking off pulling a entire team is like the fight or flight debate. If you're teaching we're not playing because is too physical out there, that is what it is and you can bet the players remember that next time.

The enemy of resilience in excellence is excuses. Excuses may start for a good reason but they're like armor they're trying to shield people from pain. The problem is that you build up so much armor that you can't function optimally. Excuses protect you but you can't live a full life with them because they will always holding you back.

Yes. I have seen similar a couple of times, as a father of a player not as a ref. Younger ages. Document it. Get the referee's name, opposing coaches name, and report to the gaming authority. Worst case nothing comes of it and your team loses a meaningless game. But no players are hurt.

Yes coaches will pull players if they think there out of control, need a few moments to reflect, etc. Getting the opposing coach(s) to cooperate is a bit more difficult.

What your describing is just part of the game, players at every level or age groups some unintentionally clumsy and others ranging from "professional" fouls to more reckless challenges.

Teachable moments, walking off pulling a entire team is like the fight or flight debate. If you're teaching we're not playing because is too physical out there, that is what it is and you can bet the players remember that next time.

The enemy of resilience in excellence is excuses. Excuses may start for a good reason but they're like armor they're trying to shield people from pain. The problem is that you build up so much armor that you can't function optimally. Excuses protect you but you can't live a full life with them because they will always holding you back.
Too many metaphors, but I think I disagree........

Yes. Coach pulled my daughter's team. Bad ref allowed very young kids to get violent and coach pulls entire team while his team is leading. Ref was reported. One of those refs that smile at the children and want to be their grandparent rather than the game ref.
I applaud that coach who puts children’s well-being before their own ego.

Disagree with what?

If you have suggestions for the OP please share.
If we're talking about youngers, 14 and under say, then they really have no business sticking it out and being tough for a "learning experience" when there's an obvious violent element in the game, and the referee either chooses to ignore it, or is not capapble of handling it.

Again, I'm not sure, but I think you were advocating that.

In an older game, maybe, depending on the level of play. A higher level game would "hopefully" have referees assigned that could handle such things.

Agree with regards to physicality. What I’m taking about is beyond that. Not even attempting to play the game and targeting certain players without any referee intervention.

If we're talking about youngers, 14 and under say, then they really have no business sticking it out and being tough for a "learning experience" when there's an obvious violent element in the game, and the referee either chooses to ignore it, or is not capapble of handling it.

Again, I'm not sure, but I think you were advocating that.

In an older game, maybe, depending on the level of play. A higher level game would "hopefully" have referees assigned that could handle such things.

Nope not advocating that, not sure how you came up with that notion. OP didn't indicate which ages or violence..."scenario where we can see players getting kicked, tripped, pushed..."

For violence absolutely document and take appropriate action.

My 3 players have been involved in well over a thousands games from ulittle through college, you name it what tournament or playoffs, or cup and they have never had a game called off or walked out because of physical play or violence.

I''ve referee close to 300 or so games but none in the last 4 years and I've seen some violence from players, spectators, and parents. Thrown some out, called some short, and had some hearings but as a parent i always let my players or there coaches decided what's appropriate and didn't feel the need to interject or talk to anybody but my player(s) after.

Nope not advocating that, not sure how you came up with that notion. OP didn't indicate which ages or violence..."scenario where we can see players getting kicked, tripped, pushed..."

For violence absolutely document and take appropriate action.

My 3 players have been involved in well over a thousands games from ulittle through college, you name it what tournament or playoffs, or cup and they have never had a game called off or walked out because of physical play or violence.

I''ve referee close to 300 or so games but none in the last 4 years and I've seen some violence from players, spectators, and parents. Thrown some out, called some short, and had some hearings but as a parent i always let my players or there coaches decided what's appropriate and didn't feel the need to interject or talk to anybody but my player(s) after.
What’s the physical build of your players?

What’s the physical build of your players?

All 3 players on the smaller lighter side until high school ages.

Average size while in high school starting sophomore year for 2 out of 3 of them. 3rd player was smallest on his teams until freshman year in high school, grew a bunch and was above average by his senior year.

In college about average for all three. Junior daughter 5.6 120ish,. Freshman Son: 5.9 150ish. Graduation student 5.10 155.

Dust yourself off, get up, continue playing, get some magic spray or ice if you have to, go back in make a difference, show your strength. Lots of different ways for payback just have to choose how and when. Players can figure it out.
Vigilantes figure it out, too but that's not what I want out of soccer. Women have boxing and MMA now. No need to have it in the game of soccer. IMO, Women's soccer needs a "revolution" like basketball had to distance itself from the Detroit Pistons of Mahorn and Laimbeer and hockey had to distance itself from Roller Derby without the acting and again when they actually started calling penalties when players didn't "play the puck". Run up behind someone receiving the ball and bang them from behind, you get a yellow. Grab someone's arm, shoulder, or jersey that got past you with the ball, you get a yellow. The men's game would also be better off doing the same but I don't see it ever happening.

Back