Proper Side Line Etiquette for Players

So we have this big thread about proper side line etiquette for parents. Here's my question to you all: what should be the etiquette for players and coaches on the side line when they are not playing...like when your game is next on the field and you need to warm up, or when you've finished up and the next team is about to take the field.

Most of the time, I see teams to begin to warm up in the corners next the field when their turn is coming up next, but a game is still ongoing. No big, even though I've been knocked in the head by balls a few times that go stray (and since you are watching the field, it's difficult for a person sitting on the side lines or working a camera to avoid them since your eye is on the field). What should the behavior be by the team warming up?

A few examples of things I think to be avoided. Don't warm up behind the goalkeepers please, even if there is a spare net back there. I think teams should give the courtesy to not distract the keeper. Also be careful of loose balls please particularly if they go into the box and there's a goal scoring opportunity....it's unfair to both the team on offense (since it might force the referee to stop the game) and the defense (since it might distract the keeper/defenders). Do mistakes sometimes happen? Of course, but I think teams should be very careful to be respectful of the play that's ongoing and it's not the time to practice your volleys, long passes or juggling technique.

So we have this big thread about proper side line etiquette for parents. Here's my question to you all: what should be the etiquette for players and coaches on the side line when they are not playing...like when your game is next on the field and you need to warm up, or when you've finished up and the next team is about to take the field.

Most of the time, I see teams to begin to warm up in the corners next the field when their turn is coming up next, but a game is still ongoing. No big, even though I've been knocked in the head by balls a few times that go stray (and since you are watching the field, it's difficult for a person sitting on the side lines or working a camera to avoid them since your eye is on the field). What should the behavior be by the team warming up?

A few examples of things I think to be avoided. Don't warm up behind the goalkeepers please, even if there is a spare net back there. I think teams should give the courtesy to not distract the keeper. Also be careful of loose balls please particularly if they go into the box and there's a goal scoring opportunity....it's unfair to both the team on offense (since it might force the referee to stop the game) and the defense (since it might distract the keeper/defenders). Do mistakes sometimes happen? Of course, but I think teams should be very careful to be respectful of the play that's ongoing and it's not the time to practice your volleys, long passes or juggling technique.
Most teams try to find open space to warm up. If they are near the goals, there is likely no where else to warm up. Sorry, but crap happens.

Most teams try to find open space to warm up. If they are near the goals, there is likely no where else to warm up. Sorry, but crap happens.

Well, that's not true. The two times I've seen this have been both on the same field. And there was an entire soccer field, baseball fields, open grasslands and picnic area for them to warmup in (but no nets). At a minimum, there's usually a corner on the sidelines. Or are you saying it's better to warm up behind the active keepers than behind the spectators on the sidelines? If so, does it make a difference if you pick the keeper who is not in your team's club to warm up behind? Most league and tournament guidelines prohibit even spectators from sitting back there for a reason.

Well, that's not true. The two times I've seen this have been both on the same field. And there was an entire soccer field, baseball fields, open grasslands and picnic area for them to warmup in (but no nets). At a minimum, there's usually a corner on the sidelines. Or are you saying it's better to warm up behind the active keepers than behind the spectators on the sidelines? If so, does it make a difference if you pick the keeper who is not in your team's club to warm up behind? Most league and tournament guidelines prohibit even spectators from sitting back there for a reason.
No, I'm not saying that it's better. Fields are crowded. It happens every weekend on every field that is adjacent to another, as teams warm up for the next game on the next field over. Does it suck? Maybe. Of course, preferably there would be absolutely no outside distractions or interference with an ongoing game, but that's not reality. Teams want to warm up on goals, and it's going to happen.

We have coaches and managers try to minimize the balls that miss and go to other fields, stand next to the posts, etc. But kids are going to miss the frame (that's why they are warming up), and some will go on the adjacent field. What's the solution? No warming up on goals when a game is going on near it? Do your kids never warm up on goals with a game going on behind it? What about shots in two ongoing games that miss and go to other field? Put up big nets behind goals on every field?

I think your expectations are just not reasonable. When you get to Premier League, this probably won't be a problem.

No, I'm not saying that it's better. Fields are crowded. It happens every weekend on every field that is adjacent to another, as teams warm up for the next game on the next field over. Does it suck? Maybe. Of course, preferably there would be absolutely no outside distractions or interference with an ongoing game, but that's not reality. Teams want to warm up on goals, and it's going to happen.

We have coaches and managers try to minimize the balls that miss and go to other fields, stand next to the posts, etc. But kids are going to miss the frame (that's why they are warming up), and some will go on the adjacent field. What's the solution? No warming up on goals when a game is going on near it? Do your kids never warm up on goals with a game going on behind it? What about shots in two ongoing games that miss and go to other field? Put up big nets behind goals on every field?

I think your expectations are just not reasonable. When you get to Premier League, this probably won't be a problem.

I think I conceded that it's going to happen, and that even the most polite of coaches will have a mistake and have a player have it go on the field. Stuff happens. What I'm talking about, though, is whether teams should make the effort to be courteous and minimize the interruptions to an ongoing game. If there's another field on it, do your warm ups there. If no field but there's a corner along the side lines, do them there. If there's no field or no corner but some space behind the side lines, do them there (though probably not a good idea then to have your kicks juggle or volley). And only if there's no where else to do it (and I highly doubt that even in the most crowded of tournament fields, our team has found some space near the bathrooms) then go behind the goal. And I think most people agree that it's o.k. for teams to use the field during an ongoing game at the half, no, so long as they leave promptly when asked by the referee? What I'm disputing is your statement that says "We have coaches and managers try to minize the balls...."....some of them don't, and I think you would agree that they should.

I think I conceded that it's going to happen, and that even the most polite of coaches will have a mistake and have a player have it go on the field. Stuff happens. What I'm talking about, though, is whether teams should make the effort to be courteous and minimize the interruptions to an ongoing game. If there's another field on it, do your warm ups there. If no field but there's a corner along the side lines, do them there. If there's no field or no corner but some space behind the side lines, do them there (though probably not a good idea then to have your kicks juggle or volley). And only if there's no where else to do it (and I highly doubt that even in the most crowded of tournament fields, our team has found some space near the bathrooms) then go behind the goal. And I think most people agree that it's o.k. for teams to use the field during an ongoing game at the half, no, so long as they leave promptly when asked by the referee? What I'm disputing is your statement that says "We have coaches and managers try to minize the balls...."....some of them don't, and I think you would agree that they should.
Sorry I don't buy it. Most coaches are respectful and courteous, but of course some aren't. I don't think anyone (other than a troll) is going to say, "Coaches should warm up their teams with the intent of stray balls entering ongoing games."

Most stray balls are caused by shots on an adjacent goal. You didn't address this at all.

What are we going to do, set up a commission, and add your hierarchy of where teams can warm up to the gaming rules? Maybe appoint a field marshal at all areas and give red cards to coaches that don't comply?

This is just a discussion about nothing, ala Seinfeld. Shit happens.

Sorry I don't buy it. Most coaches are respectful and courteous, but of course some aren't. I don't think anyone (other than a troll) is going to say, "Coaches should warm up their teams with the intent of stray balls entering ongoing games."

Most stray balls are caused by shots on an adjacent goal. You didn't address this at all.

What are we going to do, set up a commission, and add your hierarchy of where teams can warm up to the gaming rules? Maybe appoint a field marshal at all areas and give red cards to coaches that don't comply?

This is just a discussion about nothing, ala Seinfeld. Shit happens.

Sorry no returns, sir. :p

We just went through an entire thread about courtesy among the parents. Sure I'd agree most coaches are respectful and courteous. I'd say that's a little more questionable about the players, and not all coaches watch them that closely when they get older. And at least you concede "but of course some aren't". And on these forums, coaches are often accused of a wide array of misdeeds. ;)

Let's side aside intentional misconduct. Let's also set aside plain old accidents, which contrary to your position, I already conceded happen. What I'm talking about is etiquette....what reasonable steps should teams be taking to make sure you minimize disruptions to the game, knowing they might just happen anyways. And it's a sad state of affairs in our society if the discussion has to turn to legislating courtesy...though tournaments, as you well know, do have field marshals that are suppose to monitor these, among other things (though a field marshal cannot give out red cards and are often parent volunteers more interested in just getting out of there than actually doing any field marshaling, I say from experience.o_O)

Back