Prayers to the family

What are the realistic limits for practicing in the heat?

My daughter did keeper training Monday at 5:30 PM with the temperature of 100 at start, 94 at end. She drank about 32 OZ of water over a 2 hour period, starting about 60 minutes before. She was with 2 other keepers and there were breaks. I walked the part during this time and it felt fine to be outside.

Our team cancelled practice last night. It was going to be 103 at 6 PM when starting, 96 at end. It would have been a light practice, getting some touches, no running.

Thoughts?
Too hot

My daughter did keeper training Monday at 5:30 PM with the temperature of 100 at start, 94 at end. She drank about 32 OZ of water over a 2 hour period, starting about 60 minutes before. She was with 2 other keepers and there were breaks. I walked the park during this time and it felt fine to be outside.

Our team cancelled practice last night. It was going to be 103 at 6 PM when starting, 96 at end. It would have been a light practice, getting some touches, no running.

Thoughts?
I don't see any issue practicing in the heat when done properly. No strenuous exercises, water breaks, hopefully shade availability. It has to be on the grass though, not artificial turf.

I don't see any issue practicing in the heat when done properly. No strenuous exercises, water breaks, hopefully shade availability. It has to be on the grass though, not artificial turf.
Eagle, 103 at 6pm is a no show for my dd today. My dd would call in sick. I will admit when my goat was 11, i would have had her there because............I feel horrible for admitting the errors of my way but one needs to look in the mirror and get real to get real change.

Eagle, 103 at 6pm is a no show for my dd today. My dd would call in sick. I will admit when my goat was 11, i would have had her there because............I feel horrible for admitting the errors of my way but one needs to look in the mirror and get real to get real change.
its completely your choice as a parent. Hot weather comes with a perk leaving in South Cali. Like I said, no problem if done correctly.

My daughter did keeper training Monday at 5:30 PM with the temperature of 100 at start, 94 at end. She drank about 32 OZ of water over a 2 hour period, starting about 60 minutes before. She was with 2 other keepers and there were breaks. I walked the park during this time and it felt fine to be outside.

Thoughts?
Depends on the humidity, i.e. its all about the heat index - temp + humidity.

Depends on the humidity, i.e. its all about the heat index - temp + humidity.

For example, to a point I made earlier about the AZ soccer assoc scheduling games for this coming Saturday afternoon. The forecast is for a high of 105, the forecast humidity for Maricopa where the games are being played is 34%, so according to the above chart, the heat index forecast is 116 ... that's very sensible of the AZ soccer assoc, who could possibly have predicted that, in AZ, in summer, in monsoon season :rolleyes:

I appreciate you sharing this.

I would venture to guess a good majority of socal clubs and high schools don't have or use any where near the 20 things or so listed especially for normal routine training.

The youth sports sanctioning bodies are not even that through and tournaments disregard some of it. The former ussda and Ussf do many of those but trainers where not always present even though "required" at all youth games.

Good to educate but throwing blame around can wait out of respect for all the parties involved, should there be some changes yes but it has to be by all parties (facilities, sanctioning bodies, parents, tournaments, clubs, coaches,admin, etc) not just singling out one or the other .

Would like to see more study and facts presented in this particular case before jumping to conclusions and what measures that everyone can take so the risks are minimized for everyone going forward. You have provided some of so that's helpful and appreciated

As a parent hopefully I have taught and educated my kids enough on the risks involved in the activities they choose to participate in. If they are not old enough to make those decisions yet the buck stops at us.
There were always trainers at our DA games.

Its not actually that common in AZ to play from 12 to 6 in August. Most years clubs close down for June & July. There's no league or tournament play. Teams come back early if they are doing Surf, but its pretty mellow - pre-season stuff and maybe a scrimmage if they are lucky.

The state league play-in games are scheduled this coming weekend, and they have games scheduled at 12 and then the next ones are at 6. The Desert Cup over Labor weekend every year breaks from 12 to 6.

ASA have scheduled games this weekend in their scrimmage fest in the afternoon. That is very unusual. I see they are also promoting something from Banner health on their site and managing the heat. IMV, they are being idiots. There is literally zero need to do it at that time.

Clubs call off practices due to excessive heat. When the kids do practice, they take breaks constantly. I've seen kids this summer - multiple teenagers on the same team getting erratic (unsteady on their feed, head hurting, not being able to kick it into a pug from 10 feet). There's a scramble for space at the moment because public parks are closed and the primary venues in N Phoenix/Scottsdale won't allow full contact (still). So where clubs can get in, they are starting practice way too early for this heat, i.e. from 4/4:30, to fit as many teams in as possible.

Certainly unusual times for AZ and yes, we normally shut down for JUN/JUL, and come back in early august, depending on club and league you play in. Still hot in August and Sep, sometimes hotter than JUN/JUL. Fields are an issue but looks like things are being worked out. The younger age groups get shafted by having to start at 4-430. Other sports follow a similar path, some starting earlier, all outside.

There are play in games and and organized scrimmages scheduled for this weekend. On Saturday there are 19 games scheduled between 11 am and 4 pm. There are 12 games scheduled for Sunday between 11 and 4. The high SAT will be 105, the high SUN will be 105. Applying the US Soccer guidelines and depending on humidity that day, they will be right on the edge of having to cancel. Will they cancel? Highly unlikely.

For what it's worth, full contact has been happening for quite some time, even earlier on - depending on club interpretations of the return to play guidelines. With that said, Club staffs seem to be taking care of athletes and doing the right thing. My guess would be that years of training in the heat make them more aware. Due to unfortunate recent events, now they are hyper aware. That is evident on the recent reminder of heat stress guidance and mitigation that just went out.

Hopefully this weekend goes off without a hitch, given the backdrop it's up against.

Certainly unusual times for AZ and yes, we normally shut down for JUN/JUL, and come back in early august, depending on club and league you play in. Still hot in August and Sep, sometimes hotter than JUN/JUL. Fields are an issue but looks like things are being worked out. The younger age groups get shafted by having to start at 4-430. Other sports follow a similar path, some starting earlier, all outside.

There are play in games and and organized scrimmages scheduled for this weekend. On Saturday there are 19 games scheduled between 11 am and 4 pm. There are 12 games scheduled for Sunday between 11 and 4. The high SAT will be 105, the high SUN will be 105. Applying the US Soccer guidelines and depending on humidity that day, they will be right on the edge of having to cancel. Will they cancel? Highly unlikely.

For what it's worth, full contact has been happening for quite some time, even earlier on - depending on club interpretations of the return to play guidelines. With that said, Club staffs seem to be taking care of athletes and doing the right thing. My guess would be that years of training in the heat make them more aware. Due to unfortunate recent events, now they are hyper aware. That is evident on the recent reminder of heat stress guidance and mitigation that just went out.

Hopefully this weekend goes off without a hitch, given the backdrop it's up against.
The heat index for both days is in the danger zone, 119 & 113 (highs), based on the forecast. Clubs have been doing full contact outside of ASA guidelines for some teams, but I'm fine with that TBH. I can't see anything getting cancelled either and the AZ kids are pretty used to it. They'll probably take water breaks every 20 mins too and hopefully the coaches constantly rotate.

What heat index number do you use for 4x4 water breaks, and what index do you use for cancelling a practice/game?
Kids should be constantly hydrating this time of year in particular, as they are practicing 2-4 times a week and scrimmages & games are starting. For practice & games, they should have water AND an electrolyte drink (to sip at breaks and finish after practice/game). They can cope if properly prepared and if the club/coaches give regular breaks in practice and every 20 mins in scrimmages/games.

I've seen plenty of practices get cancelled over the years when it moves into the extreme danger area. I don't recall ever having a game cancelled, but then they only really start towards the end of Aug and I've never seen them scheduled for the afternoon at this time of year.

All AZ related obv.

What heat index number do you use for 4x4 water breaks, and what index do you use for cancelling a practice/game?

Here are the guidelines from US Soccer. Pages 3-5 lay out criteria and action. Decision making criteria value is driven by where you live (Category 1-3) and other factors - temps, humidity, etc. AZ is mainly considered category 3 (most of the soccer is played in category 3 areas, whereas CA is in all 3 categories,lending itself to different decisions based on where you live.

ok, you all just go ahead and have your player at practice and games at 111 at high noon. I will not be there with mine. Get educated about the science behind this. life threatening, look at the heat index - extreme danger no matter what the humidity is

ok, you all just go ahead and have your player at practice and games at 111 at high noon. I will not be there with mine. Get educated about the science behind this. life threatening, look at the heat index - extreme danger no matter what the humidity is
I think most of us are in agreement that 111 at noon time is too hot(hopefully all of us). That was probably a heat index of 125-130. I had asked the question about 100 at 5:30. This evening it will be at 96 at the start of training, 90 when she is done. On grass. Warm, but she wants to train.

I think most of us are in agreement that 111 at noon time is too hot(hopefully all of us). That was probably a heat index of 125-130. I had asked the question about 100 at 5:30. This evening it will be at 96 at the start of training, 90 when she is done. On grass. Warm, but she wants to train.
This link looks useful for determining what is safe.

This link looks useful for determining what is safe.

Even determining heat index can be polarizing! ha...here is another chart that includes humidity below 40%. Places like Vegas, Phoenix and the deserts of CA need the 40 and below to accurately calculate their heat index. The dew point can also be another factor and can be swapped for humidity to determine heat index. All I know is that right now in the desert southwest, it's hot. Dew point, humidity, whatever - it's hot.

Big issue here....people are forgetting these are children not adults... Is there an investigation being conducted?
An article about kids and temperatures :

Children are more sensitive to heat and cold stress than adults. Heat tolerance is directly affected by body size. Children are smaller and weigh less, but because they have a larger relative surface area than adults, their ability to tolerate either heat or cold stress is affected. During exercise, most of the energy released from the body appears as heat. The more we exercise, the more heat we build. And the more heat we build, the more we have to get rid of it. The evaporation of sweat is the most effective way to get rid of body heat. Pound for pound, children build up more heat than adults. For example, if an adult and a child are walking, the child is accumulating more heat. To make things even harder, children do not sweat as much as adults. Paradoxically, in cold conditions, children lose heat faster than adults and are more vulnerable to over-cooling. Children are more susceptible to cold stress because of their relatively large surface-to-mass ratio. Children also lose heat rapidly in cool water. The smaller the child, the faster the heat loss. Children also take longer to acclimatize to changes in hot and cold weather. An adult body will acclimatize to a heat wave in about a week to 10 days; a child’s body will take about 10 to 14 days. Adults should be aware that while they maybe coping well with heat or cold, the child may not yet be acclimatized or may not have the same tolerance.

There must be accountability or every kid is in danger!

Big issue here....people are forgetting these are children not adults... Is there an investigation being conducted?
An article about kids and temperatures :

Children are more sensitive to heat and cold stress than adults. Heat tolerance is directly affected by body size. Children are smaller and weigh less, but because they have a larger relative surface area than adults, their ability to tolerate either heat or cold stress is affected. During exercise, most of the energy released from the body appears as heat. The more we exercise, the more heat we build. And the more heat we build, the more we have to get rid of it. The evaporation of sweat is the most effective way to get rid of body heat. Pound for pound, children build up more heat than adults. For example, if an adult and a child are walking, the child is accumulating more heat. To make things even harder, children do not sweat as much as adults. Paradoxically, in cold conditions, children lose heat faster than adults and are more vulnerable to over-cooling. Children are more susceptible to cold stress because of their relatively large surface-to-mass ratio. Children also lose heat rapidly in cool water. The smaller the child, the faster the heat loss. Children also take longer to acclimatize to changes in hot and cold weather. An adult body will acclimatize to a heat wave in about a week to 10 days; a child’s body will take about 10 to 14 days. Adults should be aware that while they maybe coping well with heat or cold, the child may not yet be acclimatized or may not have the same tolerance.

There must be accountability or every kid is in danger!
link?

Back