Planning ahead...

BigTex

BRONZE
Manchester City Cup or Legends Classic for next May? Maybe some insight?

Both great tournaments and strong fields. My thought is Man City is the strongest top flight.

If you are flying out from TX and want an experience, though - you will likely want Man City. Legends is at Silverlakes, which is a fantastic complex but out in deep exurbia. Man City you are in SD county and near the ocean and some of the world’s best breweries.

1. Man City Cup
2. Cerritos Memorial
3. Legends Classic

I don't believe Legends Classic is played over Memorial Weekend but if it is I would rank them like this. However, as far as May tournaments go that would be my top 3.

If you come in May, the water at the beach will probably still be pretty cold, which should minimize the risk of stingrays. Even so, have your players act like the locals, and drag their feet when the walk in the water. If you kick a stingray, it will probably just swim away. If you step on one, it will sting you. Getting stung by a stingray will probably make it so a player cannot play.

1. Man City Cup
2. Cerritos Memorial
3. Legends Classic

I don't believe Legends Classic is played over Memorial Weekend but if it is I would rank them like this. However, as far as May tournaments go that would be my top 3.
Legends is almost always played the weekend before Memorial weekend.

If you come in May, the water at the beach will probably still be pretty cold, which should minimize the risk of stingrays. Even so, have your players act like the locals, and drag their feet when the walk in the water. If you kick a stingray, it will probably just swim away. If you step on one, it will sting you. Getting stung by a stingray will probably make it so a player cannot play.
This guy is scared of the Texas teams.

I went to Legends and Man City this year. Both are well run tournaments. Legends is a bigger tournament and will be more competitive due to the larger number of teams/flights. Man City has top teams but also had some flight 2/3 teams thrown into the mix (e.g. SD Surf and Liverpool 2nd teams). Legends is played the weekend before Memorial Day weekend...Man City is Memorial Day weekend:

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/public/flightstandings.aspx?eid=1197&fid=5983
https://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=72072&Gender=Girls&Age=10

Go for Legends if you are looking for competition in every game. Or go for Man City if you are looking to turn it into a combination vacation near the ocean (Socal complex in Oceanside is nice).

Surf Cup is the most competitive So Cal tournament with Legends/Man City/Albion Cup/Blues Cup being one step down. I would not consider Cerritos Memorial if you're looking for top competition.

M
I went to Legends and Man City this year. Both are well run tournaments. Legends is a bigger tournament and will be more competitive due to the larger number of teams/flights. Man City has top teams but also had some flight 2/3 teams thrown into the mix (e.g. SD Surf and Liverpool 2nd teams). Legends is played the weekend before Memorial Day weekend...Man City is Memorial Day weekend:

https://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=72072&Gender=Girls&Age=10

Go for Legends if you are looking for competition in every game. Or go for Man City if you are looking to turn it into a combination vacation near the ocean (Socal complex in Oceanside is nice).

Surf Cup is the most competitive So Cal tournament with Legends/Man City/Albion Cup/Blues Cup being one step down. I would not consider Cerritos Memorial if you're looking for top competition.

Maybe instead of trying to belittle teams and talking about "cupcake" brackets, competition, and what not you should speak on what you know. Your daughters team is a combined 1-4-3 in the tournaments you're speaking on, (Didnt see her team at man city so guessing she guested) relax on all that bs when you're just speaking out your neck.

M

Maybe instead of trying to belittle teams and talking about "cupcake" brackets, competition, and what not you should speak on what you know. Your daughters team is a combined 1-4-3 in the tournaments you're speaking on, (Didnt see her team at man city so guessing she guested) relax on all that bs when you're just speaking out your neck.

:eek::eek::eek:

Did not mean to belittle any teams...just trying to provide info so that teams travelling halfway across the country know what to expect.

My daughter is an 08...final year of 9v9. In this last Legends Classic, they didn't even have AR's. For what you pay to play in that tournament, it seemed tacky. No AR's at Cerritos Memorial either.

Cerritos Memorial is a good tourney but would agree it’s not one to travel to.

Using our team as a comparison....

Cerritos this year 2009 had one giant flight with around 6 groups. Our team went 3-0 in group stage with 15 GF and 0 GA. Favorable draw - there were some good teams in there where if we drew them results might have been different. But given its a Slammers tourney, neither of their top teams were there. PA didn’t play at all (though the rumor is several of their players guested for other Slammers teams) and Cruz played up in 2008. A TX team probably wouldn’t be thrilled to arrive and find that out. I don’t think there were any out of town teams, and several of SoCal’s other non-Slammers best teams were not there.

We played Legends in the top flight and went 0-2-1 with 2 GF and 13 GA. Both top Slammers teams were in that flight. Most of the rest of that top flight was pretty awesome too. The pure number of top SoCal teams was not as high as Man City, however.

We didn’t play Man City. More than likely will next year given we are LA Surf now. I looked at it and I would say it’s a hybrid. Large top flight - but probably a higher raw number of the top CA teams than both Legends and Cerritos. But with a large flight comes additional teams who are not at that same level. This is not to belittle - had our team played my guess is we would have been in the top flight and amongst those that didn’t emerge from group stage. If they structure it similarly next year my guess is we get in the top fight as a “Surf insider courtesy” - I won’t make any value judgements, but I have seen a few folks talk about how SD Surf is placed in top flights in Surf tourneys when maybe there are “more deserving” teams - to be clear I am not the one pushing this POV. I just read a lot here. Silly obsession.

If anything, our being in the top flight at a Legends might have raised eyebrows for some - especially with teams like Blues Vaught (ranked well ahead of us) playing flight 2. We were happy to be there though playing the best, and the other team in our group was similar (we drew).

I would say Man City is the way to go if you’re coming from Texas. Location is a huge thing, but if you go in there and keep winning, aside from Surf Cup, you’re going to face the best overall competition along the way to the final.

I would have to agree, if your team is looking to play against the better overall teams at the better facility I would go to Legends. If your team is looking to vacation and get some soccer in while in Cali then go to Man City.

M

I love that you were so mad that you had a stutter at the beginning of your post.

Back