Placer United stirring it up

Do clubs not have to earn the NPL designation? Or is that the dicey issue-that a club can get it as a whole, therefore making it so any team within that club, (despite that teams ability,) is able to be in NPL?

"...Funnily enough, that Davis ECNL team last year wasn't that strong at all. Solid Placer teams were tying them. The girls they got from Placer should definitely help them." -Glitterhater (+1 for the screen name)

So if Davis and Placer are comparable, not sure which age group you are referring to, and then Davis becomes a stronger team with the players from Placer, doesn't that make a case for excluding Placer from ECNL in this region because it would demonstrate that there is not enough talent in the region to field "strong" ECNL teams among three clubs? I guess if Davis, and San Juan, have stellar seasons then the chances for Placer ECNL diminish. Maybe? Possibly?

Christ... the way players are jumping clubs in that age group, I'm not sure you see the same team ANYWHERE for more than 2 years. Sacramento OR the Bay Area.

I would agree with one exception... when kids accept an offer to a club, they've usually taken a spot someone else wanted. So while I'm not a fan of clubs holding kids hostage, and we know they do, I also don't support backdoor deals like recruiting rostered players during a season or promising spots before a legal tryout window. I'll give you an example: This year Davis 05 girls scheduled open tryouts and kids signed up for those tryouts. When the recruiting door opened, just before actual tryouts, Davis poached half a dozen players from Placer's DA... which was dissolving... no tryout required. Then, when the actual tryout date came, they canceled any form of tryouts. So what happens to all the other girls that signed up for tryouts? I was fine with guaranteeing existing players a spot. I think every club did that this spring, but I thought this was kind of a garbage move by Davis... even if it was legal.

This year was an anomaly but I think it's a bit dirty to solicit players currently registered with another club. You'll also run into parents threatening coaches all year long if they can leave at anytime. I believe both sides have to have a skin in the game... but I'm also a proponent of your point... let competition drive the market.
I generally agree with you, but the use of the words "Davis poached" has a harsh resonance to it. Everybody in region 6 knew Placer United was going to have a dumpster fire once it became known DA was folding, especially the staff/coaches at the surrounding clubs. Those coaches didn't have to do anything but wait for the emails and phone calls from the Placer players and parents. Most of them already had a relationship with Robo thru PDP. Those Placer players leaving for Davis, and I guess San Juan, to be a part of a unique competitive landscape was inevitable once DA collapsed. What were these clubs to do? Turn them away? I wonder how many players has Placer poached from Davis or any other club over the years. Probably quite a few. The post above had two links to the most recent recruiting violations at Placer United by Paul O'Brien and Kim Gonzalez. So did Paul and Placer United get sanctioned because he was the DOC, and Kim was the one doing the actual recruiting and training outside of the tryout window without notifying the club? It sort of sounds that way when you read the complaints and findings together. That would be a shame if that's why Paul and Jodi decided to leave.

Placer's suspension - http://www.norcalreferees.com/incidents/edit/i3it4dh1z6sdn/
Placer Again - http://www.norcalreferees.com/incidents/edit/kdcdschax9b3f/

Outlaw is right. Let "competition drive the market". Recruit all you want. It makes teams better and speeds up the identification process. From a business perspective, in a competitive market, it would make sense for Davis and San Juan to reject Placer's attempt to obtain an ECNL market share. What serious business wouldn't deny a competitor? ECNL probably looked at it from a national perspective rather than a regional perspective and concluded the talent pool for the two local ECNL clubs would be further diluted with a third club. It's hard to have a brand name like Elite Competitive National League (ECNL) and then make decisions that run counter to it.

I generally agree with you, but the use of the words "Davis poached" has a harsh resonance to it. Everybody in region 6 knew Placer United was going to have a dumpster fire once it became known DA was folding, especially the staff/coaches at the surrounding clubs. Those coaches didn't have to do anything but wait for the emails and phone calls from the Placer players and parents. Most of them already had a relationship with Robo thru PDP. Those Placer players leaving for Davis, and I guess San Juan, to be a part of a unique competitive landscape was inevitable once DA collapsed. What were these clubs to do? Turn them away? I wonder how many players has Placer poached from Davis or any other club over the years. Probably quite a few. The post above had two links to the most recent recruiting violations at Placer United by Paul O'Brien and Kim Gonzalez. So did Paul and Placer United get sanctioned because he was the DOC, and Kim was the one doing the actual recruiting and training outside of the tryout window without notifying the club? It sort of sounds that way when you read the complaints and findings together. That would be a shame if that's why Paul and Jodi decided to leave.

Placer's suspension - http://www.norcalreferees.com/incidents/edit/i3it4dh1z6sdn/

Outlaw is right. Let "competition drive the market". Recruit all you want. It makes teams better and speeds up the identification process. From a business perspective, in a competitive market, it would make sense for Davis and San Juan to reject Placer's attempt to obtain an ECNL market share. What serious business wouldn't deny a competitor? ECNL probably looked at it from a national perspective rather than a regional perspective and concluded the talent pool for the two local ECNL clubs would be further diluted with a third club. It's hard to have a brand name like Elite Competitive National League (ECNL) and then make decisions that run counter to it.

You're correct... everyone knew... and I hold Davis in pretty high regard because of how they run things. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if every one of those families, and 50 others, called Davis rather than the alternative and Robertson did no recruiting. You're correct that families were salivating. That said, put yourself in the position of the kid that signed up for tryouts a month in advance. This kid has no team or is with a team and only signs up for Davis tryouts because that's where they want to be. Next thing you know, after a handful of phone calls, tryouts get cancelled. I feel for THAT kid. The kid that never got a fair shot. For me, it's not as much about what the Placer families did... or what Robo did... but advertising tryouts and then cancelling because you just "poached" the ones you wanted. I think that was classless. I think they, at the very least, should have gone through with some kind of tryouts. I'm not sure what SJ did... probably something similar. Maybe they were completely limited by Covid.

I don't spend time worrying about clubs recruiting players because I think parents are the biggest offenders there. I know Placer picked up many players when they went DA... so it stands to reason, or perhaps fairness, they lose them the same way. It actually warms my heart in a way because the clubs show little loyalty to families. Karma, right? I just think the turnover takes a little of the fun out of it for players that enjoy rivalries, etc.

It seems to me what a U-Littles coach did with private training is minor compared to other things we've seen unless it went beyond her specifically. I think Paul took the bullet because, at the 10,000' level, someone had to.

S/b Elite Clubs National League.

You're correct... everyone knew... and I hold Davis in pretty high regard because of how they run things. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if every one of those families, and 50 others, called Davis rather than the alternative and Robertson did no recruiting. You're correct that families were salivating. That said, put yourself in the position of the kid that signed up for tryouts a month in advance. This kid has no team or is with a team and only signs up for Davis tryouts because that's where they want to be. Next thing you know, after a handful of phone calls, tryouts get cancelled. I feel for THAT kid. The kid that never got a fair shot. For me, it's not as much about what the Placer families did... or what Robo did... but advertising tryouts and then cancelling because you just "poached" the ones you wanted. I think that was classless. I think they, at the very least, should have gone through with some kind of tryouts. I'm not sure what SJ did... probably something similar. Maybe they were completely limited by Covid.

I don't spend time worrying about clubs recruiting players because I think parents are the biggest offenders there. I know Placer picked up many players when they went DA... so it stands to reason, or perhaps fairness, they lose them the same way. It actually warms my heart in a way because the clubs show little loyalty to families. Karma, right? I just think the turnover takes a little of the fun out of it for players that enjoy rivalries, etc.

It seems to me what a U-Littles coach did with private training is minor compared to other things we've seen unless it went beyond her specifically. I think Paul took the bullet because, at the 10,000' level, someone had to.
U-littles? I saw she is the 09G coach, but the pic of the players waiting at the back door for the training looked like those were older players. Regardless, the rules are the rules and there shouldn't have been any training or contact outside of the tryout window. And let's not forget there was a gov mandated lockdown. Kim disregarded the rules and created an unfair competetive advantage. Typical Placer United ploy. I feel bad for Paul and Jodi getting swept up and away because of this. It doesn't sound minor, but I don't know what "other things" you've seen that you are comparing this too. Its important for parents to talk so that they aren't slave to the club's messaging. I see no problem with parents discussing clubs and if parents want to leave because they liked what they heard then best of luck. As far as the child and tryouts I sympathize for her but it could have been worse. They could have wasted her time with a tryout just for show.

They were completely limited by Covid and could not hold in person tryouts.
The amount of inaccurate speculation and gossip that happens on here would be entertaining if it were not for the unfortunate fact that those that don’t know better take it away as information.

U-littles? I saw she is the 09G coach, but the pic of the players waiting at the back door for the training looked like those were older players. Regardless, the rules are the rules and there shouldn't have been any training or contact outside of the tryout window. And let's not forget there was a gov mandated lockdown. Kim disregarded the rules and created an unfair competetive advantage. Typical Placer United ploy. I feel bad for Paul and Jodi getting swept up and away because of this. It doesn't sound minor, but I don't know what "other things" you've seen that you are comparing this too. Its important for parents to talk so that they aren't slave to the club's messaging. I see no problem with parents discussing clubs and if parents want to leave because they liked what they heard then best of luck. As far as the child and tryouts I sympathize for her but it could have been worse. They could have wasted her time with a tryout just for show.
You are confusing 2 different violations. Kim had nothing to do with the “picture”. She brought over players from another club that she was training privately. The picture and indoor training was a seperate event, probably older girls from another club.

They were completely limited by Covid and could not hold in person tryouts.
The amount of inaccurate speculation and gossip that happens on here would be entertaining if it were not for the unfortunate fact that those that don’t know better take it away as information.

Well, the reality is that Davis knew, well in advance, they were going to pull players from the DA and never intended on having a tryout. I get it if Covid impacted everything but they only had half a dozen spots (at most) to fill anyway. What did they do with the existing, bottom third of the roster... move them to a B team?

Agreed on parents talking... that's the customer's only ammunition. Unfortunately, that does as much damage as anything else.

There was not a state lockdown at the time of the trainings. Maybe recruiting outside of tryout window but not a state wide lockdown. My 2 daughters play for other clubs and they also didn’t have tryouts. It is a bummer for the kids that don’t get a fair shot, also sucks for teams that want new players, ha.

There was not a state lockdown at the time of the trainings. Maybe recruiting outside of tryout window but not a state wide lockdown. My 2 daughters play for other clubs and they also didn’t have tryouts. It is a bummer for the kids that don’t get a fair shot, also sucks for teams that want new players, ha.

Yeah... I don't know that anybody had anything remotely close to a traditional tryout. In Davis' defense, there was a "recruiting" window prior to the "tryout" window and I don't think they broke any rules.

I do know with Davis, (ECNL,) they talked to people during that open window, but could not formally make any offers until that window opened.

For ie: I know girls who got offers from their current club at the time, (because they had that window where they could sign returning players,) and they ended up losing their offer while waiting on Davis. So Davis really did wait until it was ok to make offers to new players. Such a weird year!

I do know with Davis, (ECNL,) they talked to people during that open window, but could not formally make any offers until that window opened.

For ie: I know girls who got offers from their current club at the time, (because they had that window where they could sign returning players,) and they ended up losing their offer while waiting on Davis. So Davis really did wait until it was ok to make offers to new players. Such a weird year!

We both know some of those personalities. Going to be an interesting year. ;)

The best part is some families will play about 10 games if their lucky in CA and here comes tryouts in May again. More jumping :)

RYSC (where he coaches) is absolutely competing for players with Placer. That might clue people in as to his motivation.
RYSC does not compete with Placer for players. If there is a choice between Placer and RYSC there is no choice. Roseville’s top teams can’t usually compete with lower level NPL teams.

RYSC does not compete with Placer for players. If there is a choice between Placer and RYSC there is no choice. Roseville’s top teams can’t usually compete with lower level NPL teams.
Sure they do. Players often come from RYSC to Placer. RYSC has to compete to keep players from going to Placer. Yes, the city teams are usually below the level of NPL.

I think one would be correct to assume that the city clubs have to fight to keep players from the B teams at places like Placer. I don't think it's as common to have a high-level player acquired from the city team. Not that it never happens, but much less likely. Unless you get the case like placer did this year of a coach from a city team bringing his entire team over to the top team because he is now the top teams coach.

I think one would be correct to assume that the city clubs have to fight to keep players from the B teams at places like Placer. I don't think it's as common to have a high-level player acquired from the city team. Not that it never happens, but much less likely. Unless you get the case like placer did this year of a coach from a city team bringing his entire team over to the top team because he is now the top teams coach.
So to recap...

Placer loses DA. Placer is denied ECNL girls. Placer gets busted for recruiting. The coach gets suspended for it by norcal. Placer gets caught for illegal training sessions that makes them the poster child for what not to do during a pandemic by the media. Exposed for cheating - 2x. Norcal places them on 1 year probation causing their DOC and team admin to leave. Their talent moves to their competitors (SJSC & Davis). And now are restocking their younger teams with non NPL teams "gleaned" from a local city team while their only chance to get accepted into ECNL hinges on being able to demonstrate they can field elite caliber competition, which by the way, has to prove it against the talent that bailed to Davis and San Juan. LMAO! Couldn't happen to a more deserving club. For those coming to their rescue please spare us from the kool aid induced worn out platitudes and open your eyes to Placer's sad reality. That dumpster fire is glowing hot.

SmartSelect_20201009-001620_Chrome.jpg

Maskface, placers DA teams were good enough to get granted ECNL. The most likely reason they didn’t get it is proximity to Davis and SJ and maybe not having their own fields. Also the new leadership at placer is solid so I won’t be surprised if they take a excel in the coming years. Not Kool Aid just facts.

Back