Penalty Kick Rules

So the premier league has started enforcing the new rule that if a GK leaves his line before the kick they will retake the kick. Champions league had at first enforced but hasn't really been giving it as much weight as the new handball rules. This rule modification you'll recall was a huge issue on the WWC (IIRC one PK was taken 3 times).

In Manchester U v Crystal today De Gea did as GK training indicates on the kick and took a step with one foot off the line. His back heel on the other leg was off the line. It was a spectacular and textbook save but they retook the penalty kick and Cry scored on the 2nd kick. Such a strict enforcement of the rule makes it very difficult for a GK to save a shot...increasing the odds of a striker already making a relatively easy goal. The impact on the rules (particularly in conjunction with the new handball rules) is that an award of the penalty is almost always an assured goal.

IMHO this aspect of the game, particularly given the new handball rules, is still very broken. Fixing the penalty shot itself is very hard: you'd have to do something very extreme (like only counting a penalty as 1 point but a field goal as 2, or moving the spot back and reworking hundreds of thousands of pitches around the world) or rework the awarding of the penalty itself (e.g. a DFK in the box instead of a penalty unless its DOGSO). It's especially hard if the game is determined by penalty shoot outs. The easiest way to fix this is to let the goalkeeper move as soon as the whistle is blown.

Yeah I hear the objection: it will cause the GKs to run up and try to snag the ball before the striker takes the shot and that just turns it into a 1v1 MLS style. But I'm not sure that's true....it would just encourage strikers not to take those long run ups to the strike or to shuffle their feet.

Another more minimal solution is to allow the GK to stand behind the line. It would allow them the space to jump forward and increase the reaction time. The rules makers don't seem to fully appreciate the mechanics of diving (that it involves a forward motion at an angle). In any case, I'm working on an article on the subject so would appreciate any thoughts.

So the premier league has started enforcing the new rule that if a GK leaves his line before the kick they will retake the kick. Champions league had at first enforced but hasn't really been giving it as much weight as the new handball rules. This rule modification you'll recall was a huge issue on the WWC (IIRC one PK was taken 3 times).

In Manchester U v Crystal today De Gea did as GK training indicates on the kick and took a step with one foot off the line. His back heel on the other leg was off the line. It was a spectacular and textbook save but they retook the penalty kick and Cry scored on the 2nd kick. Such a strict enforcement of the rule makes it very difficult for a GK to save a shot...increasing the odds of a striker already making a relatively easy goal. The impact on the rules (particularly in conjunction with the new handball rules) is that an award of the penalty is almost always an assured goal.

IMHO this aspect of the game, particularly given the new handball rules, is still very broken. Fixing the penalty shot itself is very hard: you'd have to do something very extreme (like only counting a penalty as 1 point but a field goal as 2, or moving the spot back and reworking hundreds of thousands of pitches around the world) or rework the awarding of the penalty itself (e.g. a DFK in the box instead of a penalty unless its DOGSO). It's especially hard if the game is determined by penalty shoot outs. The easiest way to fix this is to let the goalkeeper move as soon as the whistle is blown.

Yeah I hear the objection: it will cause the GKs to run up and try to snag the ball before the striker takes the shot and that just turns it into a 1v1 MLS style. But I'm not sure that's true....it would just encourage strikers not to take those long run ups to the strike or to shuffle their feet.

Another more minimal solution is to allow the GK to stand behind the line. It would allow them the space to jump forward and increase the reaction time. The rules makers don't seem to fully appreciate the mechanics of diving (that it involves a forward motion at an angle). In any case, I'm working on an article on the subject so would appreciate any thoughts.
I've never liked this rule. A PK save is one of the most thrilling and spectacular moments in the sport, whereas a PK conversion is the dullest and most unspectacular way to score a goal. I really don't know why you'd design the rules so that the sport has more predictable moments and fewer spectacular ones. Granted, you want to discourage fouls in the box or DOGSO, so PK's should be difficult to stop. The simple tweak of either allowing the keeper to begin anywhere behind the line or allowing one foot off the line at the moment the ball is struck would be sufficient to increase the chances of a highlight reel save and still maintain the kicker's advantage. As a keeper parent, I'd endorse letting the keeper charge out on the whistle, but I'm sure the field players would cry and moan about that one.

Alisson had no issues saving PK abiding the rules.....

Back