Parents from certain teams

Now that is unusual. I have NEVER had any problems with coaches, spectators or players from Hawaii. They have always been polite and respectful of the referees. Or was that new Pacific Island Surf affiliate, Surf Guam?

The only team we had problems with all weekend were also the affiliate from a small pacific island. It was also on Monday, where tensions do seem to run higher. The coaches and parents rode the ref the entire game and were incredibly rude and obnoxious, including yelling at and trying to intimidate the girls on the other team. The parents multiple times asked our parents to go meet them in the parking lot to "settle things." It was pretty bad. They did give all the glory to God at the medal ceremony, but my hunch is that God wasn't entirely pleased with being associated with their behavior. From my experience with their older teams, that behavior is typical with that particular club.

Other than that one team, I thought the parents and coaches we played all weekend were class acts.

Now that is unusual. I have NEVER had any problems with coaches, spectators or players from Hawaii. They have always been polite and respectful of the referees. Or was that new Pacific Island Surf affiliate, Surf Guam?
my experience also. in fact, one year they brought little gifts for everyone and even gave it to the referees. after the game of course.....

That Hawaiian team played super aggressive but I just guess that’s their style.. luckily for my daughters team they where able to adjust and come out with a 0-0 tie.. and to be honest it was getting bad but i didn’t heard any thing from that team side towards the refs..

I think I have a solution.
I hear so much misinformation from parents while watching games. They don't know the rules. They chirp silly stuff all game long at their team and the opponents.
I think that whoever puts on a tournament should have someone combing the sidelines in a bright orange (could be any color really) shirt. Whenever these people hear a parent saying something that is incorrect- they politely walk over and correct them. They provide some education on the laws of the game. Maybe even hand out the latest "Laws of the Game" booklet.
you would need lots of orange shirts.....

How can a parent get a red card? I thought those were only for players, whereas coaches and players are sent away.

Your friend was right to be disgusted. Parents need to STFU and watch the game.
some tournaments and gaming circuits ask us to use cards on coaches and parents. I would rather not, but i just do what i'm told. i don't think surf cup uses that though.

A friend told me two Surf parents (his kid's team) were given red cards. He was disgusted.
When a parent is kicked out, they should be required to show ID and a log should be kept by CalSouth. A repeat offender should be banned for life from games.

My dd wanted to ref games when she turned 16 to pay for her car insurance. I never felt comfortable letting her unless I knew she would be working with one of my friends. The game needs to be given back to the kids. These parents that yell at refs are just sad.

I know a young woman that started reffing fairly young. Her dad told me a story about going to see her first game as a CR. One of the coaches was getting mouthy and then the dad got into it with the coach. She sent them both to the parking lot. I think VERY highly of her.

When a parent is kicked out, they should be required to show ID and a log should be kept by CalSouth. A repeat offender should be banned for life from games.

My dd wanted to ref games when she turned 16 to pay for her car insurance. I never felt comfortable letting her unless I knew she would be working with one of my friends. The game needs to be given back to the kids. These parents that yell at refs are just sad.

Your daughter will be fine as a 16 year old referee. Cal South has empowered the referees to not take any BS from the spectators. There are no warnings to parents when it comes to a youth referee being yelled at. If she was an AR on one of my games and a parent yelled at her, I would have the coach remove that parent from the sideline. It amazes me that some parents would never yell at a 16 y/o player on the opposing team, but think it is okay to yell at a youth referee. Any adult referee that does not protect a youth referee should have their badge taken from them and not allowed to referee.

I think I have a solution.
I hear so much misinformation from parents while watching games. They don't know the rules. They chirp silly stuff all game long at their team and the opponents.
I think that whoever puts on a tournament should have someone combing the sidelines in a bright orange (could be any color really) shirt. Whenever these people hear a parent saying something that is incorrect- they politely walk over and correct them. They provide some education on the laws of the game. Maybe even hand out the latest "Laws of the Game" booklet.
Early in my reffing career I considered making flash cards with answers to common gripes. Things like what is a hand ball, Snell's Law, and that birds eye view picture that shows exactly what it means for the whole ball to be over the whole line. Then I realized as I got to ref teams with more informed parents that more information doesn't stop the griping. It just gives them more ammo and adds more confusion. Either that or I learned to stop caring, hard to tell really, It's like trying to stop the Titanic from sinking with duct tape.

they need to put parents on same side as their coach that will solve alot, two they really need to sit parent back another 5ft. Alot of parent sit about 2-3 ft from sideline, actually I might be wrong by placing them farther away they just might yell louder.
Question below :
  • Who's louder parents --- Dads or Moms? this weekend was def the women, love ya girls but zip it! the best is physical plays its never on them but once someone checks back, all hell breaks loose.....
  • Who's louder---Winning teams or losing teams? this weekend alot of bit%$'n from losing teams parents , alot.....the teams from Los Angeles area tend to be alittle over the top.
Parents are better off far away from their coach imo. They are like his parrots/minions that he sets loose on the referee with little accountability. Without their coach they are like lost puppies with no direction. They yell things, but aren't that sure about it, but if they have a coach backing up their hunches, they might as well been sent on a mission from God.

The only people mad about having to be on the same sideline with the other parents are the parents. Which suits me.

As for your borderline sexist/racist questions...lol.

I'm familiar with Snell's law in physics, but what's its relation to soccer?
Damn, mixed up my sciences in my head. Been too long. I meant to refer to Gestalt's laws of perception especially in regards to offside. Or I could have said "basic geometry". The idea that you only need to be off by a even a few degrees to trick your mind into thinking what you are perceiving is true when it in fact, isn't.

The only team we had problems with all weekend were also the affiliate from a small pacific island. It was also on Monday, where tensions do seem to run higher. The coaches and parents rode the ref the entire game and were incredibly rude and obnoxious, including yelling at and trying to intimidate the girls on the other team. The parents multiple times asked our parents to go meet them in the parking lot to "settle things." It was pretty bad. They did give all the glory to God at the medal ceremony, but my hunch is that God wasn't entirely pleased with being associated with their behavior. From my experience with their older teams, that behavior is typical with that particular club.

Kinda funny I have had similar problems when I "surf" in Hawaii.

Have you seen a dad took off his shirt and run on the field celebrating a win in a B2007 Bronze game? That pissed of virtually all of the parents (even the most quiet ones) on our team. I am a fairly hot head myself so luckily i was not there so who knows what would have happened!! LOL

Have you seen a dad took off his shirt and run on the field celebrating a win in a B2007 Bronze game? That pissed of virtually all of the parents on our team. I am a fairly hot head myself so luckily i was not there so who knows what would have happened!! LOL
The types of "loud parents" :
The One: some teams have just one parent that makes all the noise. Maybe its a happy accident that all parents on one team except one are naturally quiet, but it is more likely that "The One" parent is so obnoxiously loud, that the rest of his/her parent peers either believe "The One" has it all covered.... or they are too just too embarrassed to join in and be associated with "The One". This person has usually been cursed with an obnoxiously loud/high-pitched/jarring/reverberating voice through no fault of their own, or their pleas are so obviously biased or wrong that even the parents from the same team can tell.

The Gang: This is a group of dads, exclusively dads (never moms), that all leave their wives and get together to watch the game in a pack. They joke around at the beginning of the game, but as the going gets tougher, their abuse gets rougher. They speak as one under the one alpha leader that leads them and they become greater as their voices and cries unite so that the heavens can hear and understand their grievances. Should it be deemed necessary, they send out one of their own to vigilantly stalk the AR to make sure he is constantly on his line and relay feedback back to the group to give them more things to complain about. Macho, macho, macho, puff your chest, maybe alcohol, and testosterone. Can also be seen jumping up and down while hugging each other like schoolgirls after their 12 year old team scores.

Groupthink:
They are a group of all the parents that usually have been groomed well by the coach to all speak out about the same calls in unison like sheep. If they have to sit on the opposite sideline they are lost without their beloved leader: coach. However, after enough tournaments on the opposite sideline, a new leader, the chosen one, may emerge to orchestrate the choir of aggrieved parents. As the game progresses, the leader is no longer necessary as he/she has already demonstrated what is on the agenda to complain about for that game, the sheep then carry on without the leader.

Don't hurt Winston:
Usually the entitled, white, I-payed-a-lot-of-money parents that are under the impression that they signed up their kid for croquet and wince loudly at the first sign of contact. Their default style of complaining is "the passive aggressive". Shouting is unbecoming, so statements like, "I guess we're not calling that today" and, "just push her back since he is not calling any of that" are the preferred method of complaining. But if one of the kids gets seriously injured with a contusion (a bruise), then shouting hysterically becomes perfectly acceptable as long as the word "lawyer" is thrown in their somewhere.

The rose-colored glasses:
These parents are oblivious to just how biased they actually are. Can be heard yelling "C'mon! let them play!" exactly 5 minutes after they yelled "This isn't rugby! Call something" or "Finally, he found his whistle". These are also the same parents that yell, "Call it both ways ref!" They are like the greeting cards of referee abuse.

Trust him, he's a ref
:
This is typically a Grade 8 ref that is seemingly on the side of the referee at the beginning. He has an audience as he says things like, "actually, he got that one right" and "oh, I think he gave us the advantage there" when the referee just straight up did not think it was a foul. He garners favor so that he can seem to be objective and trusted when he finally goes, "okay, he definitely got that one wrong". Now the other parents can feel justified when they abuse the ref at the behest of the literal armchair referee who doesn't even consider that his throne on the sideline might not be the best possible angle.

I'm sure there are others that I didn't put down. I had fun creating this though, What are some other types of "Parents from Certain teams"

I was told this coach that got kicked out was SH's club director. Their teams are very physical and play direct soccer. I watched one of their games next to ours and they look like they're playing rugby. As soon as the ref made a call their parents would complain about the calls being one-sided and get loud on the sidelines, yelling at the refs. The parents would also yell at the opposing team parents, but it starts out from under their tent and then to players and sideline. They have teams at SC every year. If your daughter is playing against this club, just make sure to wear some extra padding and bring your earplugs. They're an affiliate so I doubt Surf will do anything about it.

Then what is the point of "affiliate"?

The types of "loud parents" :
The One: some teams have just one parent that makes all the noise. Maybe its a happy accident that all parents on one team except one are naturally quiet, but it is more likely that "The One" parent is so obnoxiously loud, that the rest of his/her parent peers either believe "The One" has it all covered.... or they are too just too embarrassed to join in and be associated with "The One". This person has usually been cursed with an obnoxiously loud/high-pitched/jarring/reverberating voice through no fault of their own, or their pleas are so obviously biased or wrong that even the parents from the same team can tell.

The Gang: This is a group of dads, exclusively dads (never moms), that all leave their wives and get together to watch the game in a pack. They joke around at the beginning of the game, but as the going gets tougher, their abuse gets rougher. They speak as one under the one alpha leader that leads them and they become greater as their voices and cries unite so that the heavens can hear and understand their grievances. Should it be deemed necessary, they send out one of their own to vigilantly stalk the AR to make sure he is constantly on his line and relay feedback back to the group to give them more things to complain about. Macho, macho, macho, puff your chest, maybe alcohol, and testosterone. Can also be seen jumping up and down while hugging each other like schoolgirls after their 12 year old team scores.

Groupthink:
They are a group of all the parents that usually have been groomed well by the coach to all speak out about the same calls in unison like sheep. If they have to sit on the opposite sideline they are lost without their beloved leader: coach. However, after enough tournaments on the opposite sideline, a new leader, the chosen one, may emerge to orchestrate the choir of aggrieved parents. As the game progresses, the leader is no longer necessary as he/she has already demonstrated what is on the agenda to complain about for that game, the sheep then carry on without the leader.

Don't hurt Winston:
Usually the entitled, white, I-payed-a-lot-of-money parents that are under the impression that they signed up their kid for croquet and wince loudly at the first sign of contact. Their default style of complaining is "the passive aggressive". Shouting is unbecoming, so statements like, "I guess we're not calling that today" and, "just push her back since he is not calling any of that" are the preferred method of complaining. But if one of the kids gets seriously injured with a contusion (a bruise), then shouting hysterically becomes perfectly acceptable as long as the word "lawyer" is thrown in their somewhere.

The rose-colored glasses:
These parents are oblivious to just how biased they actually are. Can be heard yelling "C'mon! let them play!" exactly 5 minutes after they yelled "This isn't rugby! Call something" or "Finally, he found his whistle". These are also the same parents that yell, "Call it both ways ref!" They are like the greeting cards of referee abuse.

Trust him, he's a ref
:
This is typically a Grade 8 ref that is seemingly on the side of the referee at the beginning. He has an audience as he says things like, "actually, he got that one right" and "oh, I think he gave us the advantage there" when the referee just straight up did not think it was a foul. He garners favor so that he can seem to be objective and trusted when he finally goes, "okay, he definitely got that one wrong". Now the other parents can feel justified when they abuse the ref at the behest of the literal armchair referee who doesn't even consider that his throne on the sideline might not be the best possible angle.

I'm sure there are others that I didn't put down. I had fun creating this though, What are some other types of "Parents from Certain teams"
how's that creative writing class coming? are you getting good grades?

Back