Overheard A Coach

Toch

SILVER ELITE
During half time, the coach brings his team together where we are sitting watching our game. Practically his whole half time speech revolved around the refs. Things I picked up “the refs are waiting to give you a red card” “they need the refs to help them”
Why would a coach do this to his own team? Why the heck would a coach give their team no hope?

There are some great coaches out there, but at the other end of the bell curve there are coaches like this.

Maybe the coach's team was making a bunch of reckless tackles and the refs had issued warnings to the players.
Yeah I'm lost. Plenty of coaches (probably not enough) tell their players to cool it at halftime when sitting on yellows, or they are talking back and have been given warnings. The comments seem to indicate the team is up, and the players are getting sucked into getting dismissed. Not sure why this is bad thing.

What am I missing?

I don't have a problem with that kind of comment. Sometimes a coach knows what it takes to motivate his team.
Were the refs calling some stuff they didn't think was right?
"They need the refs to help them. But we aren't going to let that happen. We are the better team, but we have to prove it by putting the ball in the back of the net. Don't let a silly foul or free kick stop our momentum. Don't argue with the refs. We don't need them to help us today. But we don't want to get on their bad side either"

I don't have a problem with that kind of comment. Sometimes a coach knows what it takes to motivate his team.
Were the refs calling some stuff they didn't think was right?
"They need the refs to help them. But we aren't going to let that happen. We are the better team, but we have to prove it by putting the ball in the back of the net. Don't let a silly foul or free kick stop our momentum. Don't argue with the refs. We don't need them to help us today. But we don't want to get on their bad side either"
I agree. If said out loud in front of other other team, it's poor sportsmanship. But in your own huddle at half-time? Sounds like it was true, and the coach was telling the team, the only way you lose this game is if you lose your cool and the refs start throwing our players out. "

Seems like a reasonable thing for a coach to tell the team if they are getting close to being sent off.

Back