Only REAL Albion and Surf Cup Updates

CAS provides insurance to players and clubs. it is not C19 specific. It is for on field activities. if there is a shutdown they have every right to pull it so their insured are not covered for activities they don't want happening.
The funny thing is I asked 2 people who run different clubs about the “insurance” and when was the last time they even used it. One of them said never, the other submitted a claim one time and couldn’t use it because the deductible was so high. He also added “what can you expect from a policy that cost $18-$25 a year.” So I really don’t understand what all the “insurance” talk is about.

What insurance? As far as I know nobody will insure you for COVID-19 and Cal South waiver that they want everyone to sign, is pretty much releases them from anything to do with this.

Regular insurance to get field permits, travel, injury etc not covid19 specific

The funny thing is I asked 2 people who run different clubs about the “insurance” and when was the last time they even used it. One of them said never, the other submitted a claim one time and couldn’t use it because the deductible was so high. He also added “what can you expect from a policy that cost $18-$25 a year.” So I really don’t understand what all the “insurance” talk is about.

Facilities require insurance before the rent or give out field permits.

I suppose you could buy a million-dollar policy or whatever they require but is not going to be cheap or you can get some through a membership in certain organizations

Facilities require insurance before the rent or give out field permits.

I suppose you could buy a million-dollar policy or whatever they require but is not going to be cheap or you can get some through a membership in certain organizations
Yes there are two types of insurance. One is a field insurance that covers the facility, and the other is a player insurance that covers the players if they get injured. I was referring to the latter in my comment.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN ITS ENTIRETY!

Your team has earned acceptance to participate in the 2020 San Diego Surf Cup presented by Nike in the age group in which you applied. Please verify here that this is the correct age group: http://surfcupsports.com/surf-cup/. Your age group should correspond to your team's age group for the 2020/2021 season. If not, please contact us immediately to request a change. You are only guaranteed a spot in this age group.

NOTE: Due to the COVID situation we are accepting your team into our event but will NOT charge your team until 8/1/20 at which time we will have confirmation as to whether or not the event will be allowed to take place in San Diego.

We understand that every team should make a decision that is in the best interest of your team and therefore, if you should with to withdraw from the event, you can do so by July 31st with no financial obligation and there would be no refund due since teams will not be charged until 8/1/20.

After 8/1/20 if the event DOES take place and a team withdraws, there will be no refund. If the event does NOT take place, full refunds will be issued (minus credit card processing fees).

Please also note our refund policy: If you drop after acceptance but before the application deadline. You will receive a refund minus a $75 administration fee. There are no refunds after the application deadline unless the event is cancelled due to COVID19. In which case teams will receive a refund minus the credit card processing fee.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how anyone with any common sense left, would even apply for any tournament right now.
1. There is no cost for applying.
2. There is no penalty for applying.
3. Some applied months ago when projections said it was possible.
4. There is no penalty for backing out before said date.
5. There is not even a penalty for reserving and/or backing out of a hotel reservation.
6. Why on earth wouldn't a business make every due diligence effort to offer their customers (Surf Cup to Clubs and Clubs to parents) the opportunity to safely exercise their activities? If it can't be done... cancel with no penalty... which is literally what the email said would happen.

Will Surf Cup happen? I'd be shocked if it does. Personally... I don't know if I'd even want to my lil Messi to play if it did.

So all these replies but no answer to the original post does anyone have any updates if Albion show case will actually be on ? (I doubt it )

1. There is no cost for applying.
2. There is no penalty for applying.
3. Some applied months ago when projections said it was possible.
4. There is no penalty for backing out before said date.
5. There is not even a penalty for reserving and/or backing out of a hotel reservation.
6. Why on earth wouldn't a business make every due diligence effort to offer their customers (Surf Cup to Clubs and Clubs to parents) the opportunity to safely exercise their activities? If it can't be done... cancel with no penalty... which is literally what the email said would happen.

Will Surf Cup happen? I'd be shocked if it does. Personally... I don't know if I'd even want to my lil Messi to play if it did.

I think your list is missing a few items...

There is a cost to applying. Team managers are already collecting tournament fees from families when we're in the middle of sky high unemployment. Yeah it's nice if the money gets refunded a month or two later, but some families need as much cash on hand as possible RIGHT NOW.

Back in April/early May when it seemed we might come out of this by July and August, it was understandable for some of these tournaments to try to press on. But right now it makes absolutely no sense. It's not just people not wearing masks, we failed to push hard for rapid/saliva testing available for every business and large organization. We could have easily done these tournaments if for example on a Friday night check-in, every player, parent, and coach took a rapid COVID test. If you passed, then you would be good to enter the fields the next day.

Right now, if I take my daughter to Albion/Surf Cup, I'm totally rolling the dice on her health & safety, and the rest of our family. Maybe the event will be totally safe or maybe it becomes a super spreader event when someone sneezes/coughs on the sideline. Maybe kids are almost totally safe from COVID or perhaps there are some serious long-term effects we don't know about it. I have no clue whatsoever, but I'm not prepared to roll the dice with my daughter's health. But if there was rapid testing, I wouldn't have to rely on anecdotes, twitter theories, and early studies to make an informed decision. Even if the Rapid tests were only 95-97% accurate, there would be enough coverage to know I'm not sending my daughter to a future community spread event. And you could mitigate that even further if the girls got tested several times prior to the tournament.

Masks and social distancing work well for grocery stores and such. But if we want to do large scale youth events like tournaments and return kids to school, we need rapid testing, so we can quickly identify and quarantine people who are infected and also give consumer confidence that these places are relatively safe.

I know tournament organizers are going to keep these registration dates open literally to the last possible second, hoping fo a miracle. But I hope the clubs think about their own members and families, and consider the unemployment situation. No need to enter tournaments right now. I don't know a single college coach that plans to travel for scouting right now. Limited teams are willing to travel. And rosters will be swiss cheese because with many individual families electing not to participate.

I've just been taking my daughter to the park with her brother myself to play. Yeah it's not perfect, but this is affecting everyone so it's not like she's going to fall behind leaps and bounds by not being in a regional watered down Surf Cup for a weekend. I've just been making sure she runs at least every other day and gets touches on the ball. And she talks to her friends and teammates daily on Instagram. Again, not ideal, but it'll do for now until us adults get our act together.

There is a cost to applying. Team managers are already collecting tournament fees from families when we're in the middle of sky high unemployment. Yeah it's nice if the money gets refunded a month or two later, but some families need as much cash on hand as possible RIGHT NOW.

Back in April/early May when it seemed we might come out of this by July and August, it was understandable for some of these tournaments to try to press on. But right now it makes absolutely no sense. It's not just people not wearing masks, we failed to push hard for rapid/saliva testing available for every business and large organization. We could have easily done these tournaments if for example on a Friday night check-in, every player, parent, and coach took a rapid COVID test. If you passed, then you would be good to enter the fields the next day.

Right now, if I take my daughter to Albion/Surf Cup, I'm totally rolling the dice on her health & safety, and the rest of our family. Maybe the event will be totally safe or maybe it becomes a super spreader event when someone sneezes/coughs on the sideline. Maybe kids are almost totally safe from COVID or perhaps there are some serious long-term effects we don't know about it. I have no clue whatsoever, but I'm not prepared to roll the dice with my daughter's health. But if there was rapid testing, I wouldn't have to rely on anecdotes, twitter theories, and early studies to make an informed decision. Even if the Rapid tests were only 95-97% accurate, there would be enough coverage to know I'm not sending my daughter to a future community spread event. And you could mitigate that even further if the girls got tested several times prior to the tournament.

Masks and social distancing work well for grocery stores and such. But if we want to do large scale youth events like tournaments and return kids to school, we need rapid testing, so we can quickly identify and quarantine people who are infected and also give consumer confidence that these places are relatively safe.

I know tournament organizers are going to keep these registration dates open literally to the last possible second, hoping fo a miracle. But I hope the clubs think about their own members and families, and consider the unemployment situation. No need to enter tournaments right now. I don't know a single college coach that plans to travel for scouting right now. Limited teams are willing to travel. And rosters will be swiss cheese because with many individual families electing not to participate.

I've just been taking my daughter to the park with her brother myself to play. Yeah it's not perfect, but this is affecting everyone so it's not like she's going to fall behind leaps and bounds by not being in a regional watered down Surf Cup for a weekend. I've just been making sure she runs at least every other day and gets touches on the ball. And she talks to her friends and teammates daily on Instagram. Again, not ideal, but it'll do for now until us adults get our act together.
I have been out of town but after hearing that San Diego was still practicing I talked to a few coach friends. Their rosters are full and everyone is attending distance practicing even though most don't believe they will play games this year. Yet I am seeing so many stories on this site about parents not being willing to join teams right now to practice. How do i reconcile what I am hearing? Is it just a few vocal minorities? My son was going to coach an AYSO team but that got but on hold since he wont be back in town.

Then tell the team "no." There is no need to collect now. We did not. We applied and will give parents the option to attend if they want with zero repercussion to their standing on the team. We did not collect the fees. The club paid the registration fee and will collect at a later date. There is no reason to inconvenience parents. The only person who was inconvenienced is the team manager who took 6 minutes to apply.
I was responding to the insinuation that there is no common sense in applying.

On a personal level, again, I do not think the tournament will occur. If it does, I do not know if my child will play. However, there is ZERO loss to applying. All it does it give parents an opportunity and the control. If the club does not apply, they make the decision for parents. I'm for parental control and let parents make the decision. Club's role is to give the opportunity. Club's role is to prepare as IF something COULD happen then adjust when it doesn't. We have an entire schedule that we are preparing for... FULLY knowing that it will highly likely NOT happen... but if it does... we will be prepared. If it doesn't, we will adjust.

Then tell the team "no." There is no need to collect now. We did not. We applied and will give parents the option to attend if they want with zero repercussion to their standing on the team. We did not collect the fees. The club paid the registration fee and will collect at a later date. There is no reason to inconvenience parents. The only person who was inconvenienced is the team manager who took 6 minutes to apply.

On a personal level, again, I do not think the tournament will occur. If it does, I do not know if my child will play. However, there is ZERO loss to applying. All it does it give parents an opportunity and the control. If the club does not apply, they make the decision for parents. I'm for parental control and let parents make the decision. Club's role is to give the opportunity. Club's role is to prepare as IF something COULD happen then adjust when it doesn't. We have an entire schedule that we are preparing for... FULLY knowing that it will highly likely NOT happen... but if it does... we will be prepared. If it doesn't, we will adjust.
the loss will be your credit card processing fees, but who cares if club is the one applying :)

good stuff, I never really thought of it like that...hmm this is perhaps the attitude I should tell my spouse to take.

Back