Offside or Not?

No offiside IMHO:
1. The act of offside never happened since #32 (the right forward) never touched the ball.
2. #32 did not interfere/obstruct the opposing players at all.

Agree. No offside since the PIOP did not interfere with play. The defenders gave up when they saw the AR's flag go up. Their bad. Players need to remember to play to the referee's whistle and he got it right. You can see him wave the flag down.

Ahhhh, the 'ol "Oh crap, I raised my flag too early" moment. Every AR has that moment at least once in their career. Looks like the CR let play continue which was the correct call (or non call depending how you look at it). Best way for the CR to get brownie points from the coach.

Player "passed" to himself, could not be offside in such a situation, but lots of other interesting things to see.

So many (lazy?) attacking players in offside position, it almost looked like a planned play, but doubt they could have expected their teammate to recover the ball from the counter attack.

AR obviously blew it given all the recent guidance, referee did a great job watching the play.

Defenders should watch this over and over. Our boys get a "fine" if they raise their arm and stop, even if the offside is correct.

That’s a smart attacking team. Almost looked like that’s a well rehearsed play. And if not- smart player for not playing the ball. And smart for making that pass to himself.

No Offside. I have seen several teams with set plays that use players in an offside position, but do not violate Law 11. The plays are usually successful in at least getting a shot on goal and sometimes scoring. Of course the spectators and sometimes the opposing coach yell like crazy for offside. I recently saw a B18 team score two goals off of Offside set plays. You could tell they worked on the two, similar but different, set plays.

No Offside. I have seen several teams with set plays that use players in an offside position, but do not violate Law 11. The plays are usually successful in at least getting a shot on goal and sometimes scoring. Of course the spectators and sometimes the opposing coach yell like crazy for offside. I recently saw a B18 team score two goals off of Offside set plays. You could tell they worked on the two, similar but different, set plays.

Practicing set plays like that is a good way to teach attackers the dynamics of the offside rules.

My son's BU9 team (2000? Was it that long ago?) practiced an active offside trap on opponent's free kicks by running up just before the kick to put the opponent's highest attackers offside.
Works great if you have a good ref crew. A disaster if they are asleep.

Edit: And the counter to that is to have a runner coming in after the defense steps. Under the old rules, you'd probably see an offside call as soon as the ball was near a player that got left behind by the backline. Under the new rules, a late runner can come in while everyone else has their hand up looking for the call.

Last edited:
If you’re basing the offside on the #32 it should have been an offside, because he got involved in the play even though he didn’t touch the ball or interfere in the play. The mere movement towards the ball made him be involved in the play. He was not offside because when the ball was kicked, #32 was not on an offside position. IMO.

If you’re basing the offside on the #32 it should have been an offside, because he got involved in the play even though he didn’t touch the ball or interfere in the play. The mere movement towards the ball made him be involved in the play. He was not offside because when the ball was kicked, #32 was not on an offside position. IMO.

Not with the latest interpretation of Law 11. He did not play the ball or interfere. Just because a player may move in the direction of the ball does not mean the violated Law 11. The ball actually goes behind the player as he stepped forward to get out of the way of the player with the ball. Clearly no offside violation.

Nothing the player in an offside position did impacted the defenders' ability to play the ball (other than them erroneously thinking it was offside and deciding to do nothing to respond to the play, which does not qualify. )

LOTG advice examples help those that read them correctly assess the call:

upload_2019-9-11_10-21-29.png
upload_2019-9-11_10-20-36.png

upload_2019-9-11_10-19-46.png
upload_2019-9-11_10-18-42.png

Works great if you have a good ref crew. A disaster if they are asleep.

Edit: And the counter to that is to have a runner coming in after the defense steps. Under the old rules, you'd probably see an offside call as soon as the ball was near a player that got left behind by the backline. Under the new rules, a late runner can come in while everyone else has their hand up looking for the call.

Once the ARs saw what was happening, they really got into it - the good ones anyway.

I have a vague memory of an opposing coach's halftime pep talk, audible all the way across the field - "They're doing it to you on purpose!"

Not with the latest interpretation of Law 11. He did not play the ball or interfere. Just because a player may move in the direction of the ball does not mean the violated Law 11. The ball actually goes behind the player as he stepped forward to get out of the way of the player with the ball. Clearly no offside violation.
As you stated, “interpretation “. Clearly it’s up to anyone to interpret if he was moving towards the ball to be involved in play. But As I stated before, he was not offside when his teammate kicked the ball. In my “interpretation”

As you stated, “interpretation “. Clearly it’s up to anyone to interpret if he was moving towards the ball to be involved in play. But As I stated before, he was not offside when his teammate kicked the ball. In my “interpretation”
You must not receive ongoing referee training as you don't know what interpretation in this context means.

By interpretation, I am talking about the guidance and training referees receive from FIFA, US Soccer and Cal South. Referees are trained using numerous videos and I have seen a similar scenario as this thread’s video. Not offside in this video.

Back