Offside DFK question

So here's one I haven't seen. U11 game, no build out line. DFK awarded in shooting distance. Keeper sets up his wall and yells for the rest of his players to "step". Kicking team has placed one player screening directly in front of the goalkeeper. That screening player is in an offside position. The Laws contemplate offside on a DFK. The goalkeeper attempts to move slightly around but the shielding player is always moving in front of him blocking his view and ability to come out. Defending team's coach is screaming hey they can't do that and goalkeeper is clearly getting frustrated...kicking team coach is no dummy and has been around soccer for a while so it's not blind ignorance....screening player is not touching the keeper but is always stepping in front to block movement and view...do you:

a. whistle, call impeding, and award an IDFK
b. whistle, call holding/pushing award DFK
c. tell the screening player he is offside and can't do that and instruct him to move
d. tell the screening player he is offside and that if it goes in it won't count
e. whistle for the kick, wait for how it plays out, and if goes into the goal award an IDFK for offside
f. do something else? issue any cards?

That is easy. If the attacking player in an offside position is standing in front of the keeper and obstructing his view or ability to play the ball then it would be a Law 11 (offside) violation. So, E would probably be the closest to correct answer. The referee should always let the kick proceed and see what happens. You never know if that player blocking the keepers view may run out of the way when the kicker makes their run at the ball then there would be no offside violation. Always wait and see.

That is easy. If the attacking player in an offside position is standing in front of the keeper and obstructing his view or ability to play the ball then it would be a Law 11 (offside) violation. So, E would probably be the closest to correct answer. The referee should always let the kick proceed and see what happens. You never know if that player blocking the keepers view may run out of the way when the kicker makes their run at the ball then there would be no offside violation. Always wait and see.

I agree technically that's the correct answer....but what about game management....it's clearly not a sporting thing to do and everyone knows it....frustration on the field and sidelines growing. If it's a goal that's pulled back, parents on one end will lose it. If the conduct continues, keeper and other coach might lose it.

I agree technically that's the correct answer....but what about game management....it's clearly not a sporting thing to do and everyone knows it....frustration on the field and sidelines growing. If it's a goal that's pulled back, parents on one end will lose it. If the conduct continues, keeper and other coach might lose it.
Sporting? Meaning the defending team's fans are whining and bitching?

So we throw out the laws because people either don't know them or don't like them? Lots of offside plays are practiced by the offense to deceive the defense. Totally allowed. Your goalie bias is "keeping" you from interpreting the laws correctly.

Wait till your kids grow up and find out what players do to each other in a corner or free kick lineup that no one can see.

Sporting? Meaning the defending team's fans are whining and bitching?

So we throw out the laws because people either don't know them or don't like them? Lots of offside plays are practiced by the offense to deceive the defense. Totally allowed. Your goalie bias is "keeping" you from interpreting the laws correctly.

Wait till your kids grow up and find out what players do to each other in a corner or free kick lineup that no one can see.
Oh I agree an olders match would be different (and one of the reason the wall rule was implemented). Isn’t a u11 game handled different? I’m specifically thinking this is the kind of stuff that has refs lose control of the game, so am wondering if there’s a better way of handling it other than the technical. As for gk bias, I don’t think anyone would say it’s a goal if it goes in from the kick or because the shielder is still obstructing the keeper, but if so I’m curious as to why. I’m also concerned if it goes in the other side cheering and then being told no goal and what the reaction is from u11 parents not knowing the laws. For what it’s worth the actual cr told the kid to move.

If you look at the comments to the video, the balance of opinion from referees and spectators s contra. The CW is it is offside.

The goalkeeper's sight of the ball was not impaired (it was up above everyone until it passed the player in the offside position) and the GK's movement was not constrained. That's a better argument than "Nobody touched the ball". But, of course, ITOOTR overrules common sense in some cases.

Oh I agree an olders match would be different (and one of the reason the wall rule was implemented). Isn’t a u11 game handled different? I’m specifically thinking this is the kind of stuff that has refs lose control of the game, so am wondering if there’s a better way of handling it other than the technical. As for gk bias, I don’t think anyone would say it’s a goal if it goes in from the kick or because the shielder is still obstructing the keeper, but if so I’m curious as to why. I’m also concerned if it goes in the other side cheering and then being told no goal and what the reaction is from u11 parents not knowing the laws. For what it’s worth the actual cr told the kid to move.
I understood that your scenario was all before the free kick was taken Until that point no one can be offside. You can't make players move from an offside position merely because they may be offside in the future. The video you posted is a completely different situation.

I understood that your scenario was all before the free kick was taken Until that point no one can be offside. You can't make players move from an offside position merely because they may be offside in the future. The video you posted is a completely different situation.

just an illustration of what can happen losing control of the game when you call back the goal and everyone thinks it’s validly gone in. I can see the cr saying no don’t want to deal with it which might be why he told the Kid to move. Another way to go I guess is to blow the whistle for offside as soon as the ball is kicked and moving forward towards goal? In my scenario, if you buy the posted video was correctly called as offside (as surfref and several others on the video comments concur) There’s pretty much no scenario (unless the screener suddenly leaves and the ball is played away from goal leading to a new build up) that offside doesn’t claw back the goal.

just an illustration of what can happen losing control of the game when you call back the goal and everyone thinks it’s validly gone in. I can see the cr saying no don’t want to deal with it which might be why he told the Kid to move. Another way to go I guess is to blow the whistle for offside as soon as the ball is kicked and moving forward towards goal? In my scenario, if you buy the posted video was correctly called as offside (as surfref and several others on the video comments concur) There’s pretty much no scenario (unless the screener suddenly leaves and the ball is played away from goal leading to a new build up) that offside doesn’t claw back the goal.
That may or may not be the outcome, but referees are required to wait and see what happens, not presume the outcome that they expect.

I choose d. Then e if it comes to that. I wish I had the video, but the was a professional game where a player was doing the exact same thing and the referee just kindly reminded the attacker that if a goal was scored, then it wouldn't count. It's just common sense proactive refereeing.

How is it any different from "Step back 10 yards for the throw in", "Don't run until the KICK (on a pk)", or "Don't pick up that pass back keeper". You aren't giving a team an unfair advantage. You are simply telling them, if you do x, I will do y. We are not there to trick the players.

I don't get it.
This is the justification for the offside call.
  • clearly attempts’ – this wording is designed to prevent a player who runs towards the ball from quite a long distance being penalised (unless he gets close to the ball).
  • ‘close’ is important so that a player is not penalised when the ball goes clearly over his head or clearly in front of him.
  • ‘impact’ applies to an opponent’s ability (or potential) to play the ball and will include situations where an opponent’s movement to play the ball is delayed, hindered or prevented by the offside player.
This is all in the opinion of the referee of course. In that video does the attacker "clearly attempt" to play the ball. I would say yes, he is backpedaling and tracking. He is "close" probably only a couple more steps and a jump and he could have flicked the ball. He would have needed to be more athletic to do this, which can happen at that age. And he has "impact. That for me is the biggest selling point in favor of the referee, especially when the oppenets movent was "delayed" by the offside player. The goalie does hesitate in anticipation of a possible header. It is clear from his hesitation that he wanted to run forward to cut the ball off from dropping.

At the very least, this circular makes it clear that the Player in an offside position does not have to "touch" the ball. He just has to meet

Source: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/72/Circular_LoG_Additional Guidance on Law 11_v2.0_EN.pdf

I choose d. Then e if it comes to that. I wish I had the video, but the was a professional game where a player was doing the exact same thing and the referee just kindly reminded the attacker that if a goal was scored, then it wouldn't count. It's just common sense proactive refereeing.

How is it any different from "Step back 10 yards for the throw in", "Don't run until the KICK (on a pk)", or "Don't pick up that pass back keeper". You aren't giving a team an unfair advantage. You are simply telling them, if you do x, I will do y. We are not there to trick the players.

Referees should not act as coaches, except in the very youngest age groups. If they ask what they did wrong, fine, tell them after the fact. Don't coach them.

Referees should not act as coaches, except in the very youngest age groups. If they ask what they did wrong, fine, tell them after the fact. Don't coach them.

Concur but this was a U11 game which is why I highlighted the age in the OP....thoughts?

I think E is the only correct way to go in my opinion (if he truly interfered with the keeper after the kick). Being in an offside position is not illegal, period. Don't try to make more of this.

Maybe a quick response to the screaming coach though?

On a similar note, how do you deal with players in the box on free kicks that are doing this similar tactic, sometimes starting to push each other?

Let them know you are watching? There is nothing wrong with the attacker moving around in front of defenders? Don't they have a right to space on the field as long as they are not impeding the player's forward movement? The side to side stuff seems legal.

Back