Odds We Play in Spring

I suspect it's more of an optics thing versus anything backed by science.
There is no science backing this. Kids have zero risk related to the rona. They are not spreaders either.

According to the CDC in TOTAL nationwide about 580 people under the age of 24 have died due to covid.

Cal shows ZERO deaths under the age of 17.

So in light of the numbers above, the data clearly shows there is no need for kids/teens to be wearing masks while playing or practicing soccer.

There is no science backing this. Kids have zero risk related to the rona. They are not spreaders either.

According to the CDC in TOTAL nationwide about 580 people under the age of 24 have died due to covid.

So in light of the numbers above, the data clearly shows there is no need for kids/teens to be wearing masks while playing or practicing soccer.
I would say that there isn't zero risk for kids related to Covid as we know some kids that have gotten it -- survived fine, sick for days along with the Dad. Neither has taste back and Dad still fairly week after a couple of months with no flu like symptoms. Kid back to acting and feeling normal. Sibling had antibodies, but no symptoms. If you are capable of getting it you are capable of spreading it.

That being said -- I think that outside limited contact such as soccer has lower risk with theoretically better equipped people to fighting off disease. If people would only really interact with their teams and coaches life would be able to be more back to normal in terms of youth sports.

For getting back to playing -- I wish it would be sooner, rather than later, but not really holding out hope of spring season because of state leadership

I would say that there isn't zero risk for kids related to Covid as we know some kids that have gotten it -- survived fine, sick for days along with the Dad. Neither has taste back and Dad still fairly week after a couple of months with no flu like symptoms. Kid back to acting and feeling normal. Sibling had antibodies, but no symptoms. If you are capable of getting it you are capable of spreading it.

That being said -- I think that outside limited contact such as soccer has lower risk with theoretically better equipped people to fighting off disease. If people would only really interact with their teams and coaches life would be able to be more back to normal in terms of youth sports.

For getting back to playing -- I wish it would be sooner, rather than later, but not really holding out hope of spring season because of state leadership

Do you know if those kids got the virus on the field? We haven't seen it at our club. Some kids have gotten it carpooling or other non-soccer activities.

For us we've been incredibly religious about sheltering in place. We have all of our food delivered (this definitely comes from a place of privilege) . We skipped family get togethers for all of the holidays. The only thing we really do is take our kids to soccer practices -- I mean we do go on mountain bike rides, hikes, etc, but there's nobody around when we do those activities. Just stressing this as I hope I didn't come off as a covid-denier or anything. I'm a firm believer that the virus is spreading predominately indoors, and especially when folks let their guard down.

I have the same optimism as @dad4. I think the new administration will have laser focus on getting the vaccine distributed and delivered. I think our county will drop into orange pretty fast. I'm guessing normal practices and intra-county games by March. I think you will also see more fields open up as well during this time. By April we will be in the yellow tier.

Covid denialist comments go in off topic 2.

This thread is for discussing northern California return to play timing and rules.

Do you know if those kids got the virus on the field? We haven't seen it at our club. Some kids have gotten it carpooling or other non-soccer activities.

For us we've been incredibly religious about sheltering in place. We have all of our food delivered (this definitely comes from a place of privilege) . We skipped family get togethers for all of the holidays. The only thing we really do is take our kids to soccer practices -- I mean we do go on mountain bike rides, hikes, etc, but there's nobody around when we do those activities. Just stressing this as I hope I didn't come off as a covid-denier or anything. I'm a firm believer that the virus is spreading predominately indoors, and especially when folks let their guard down.

I have the same optimism as @dad4. I think the new administration will have laser focus on getting the vaccine distributed and delivered. I think our county will drop into orange pretty fast. I'm guessing normal practices and intra-county games by March. I think you will also see more fields open up as well during this time. By April we will be in the yellow tier.
They didn't get from sport -- I am not sure how they got it, my guess is the Dad via work. I have traveled across the country via plane and gotten together for family gatherings (small number -- 1 other family). Got tested before and after doing any of it and results say I haven't gotten it. Have also socially distanced with friends in the yard who we know are taking the same types of precautions. We wear masks when we do go out and about - Grocery store and food pickup at local establishments. My kids go to practices, which have been mental health life savers

I am hopeful for quick distribution and administration of vaccines to the general public, however with the volume needed I don't think spring is possible.

They didn't get from sport -- I am not sure how they got it, my guess is the Dad via work. I have traveled across the country via plane and gotten together for family gatherings (small number -- 1 other family). Got tested before and after doing any of it and results say I haven't gotten it. Have also socially distanced with friends in the yard who we know are taking the same types of precautions. We wear masks when we do go out and about - Grocery store and food pickup at local establishments. My kids go to practices, which have been mental health life savers

I am hopeful for quick distribution and administration of vaccines to the general public, however with the volume needed I don't think spring is possible.
We do the same.

And here is an (anecdotal) positive story- we had a girl on a team in our club get a positive COVID result, (only tested because a family member had it,) and had been at practice all along as she was not sick, (quarantined once she got the positive of course.) The majority of the team tested out of precaution and ZERO other players ended up sick or positive.

Not saying that's always going to be the case but I bet similar scenarios happen often.

Covid denialist comments go in off topic 2.

This thread is for discussing northern California return to play timing and rules.
Will make sure to help police this if I see it....what was stated isn’t “denialism” is actual stats from government sites.

So who is denying what? (Rhetorical question).....

Will make sure to help police this if I see it....what was stated isn’t “denialism” is actual stats from government sites.

So who is denying what? (Rhetorical question).....
off topic 2 is also the right spot for logical covid arguments, if any exist.

With respect to restarting play, I think LA gets to orange by the Ides of March, and Norcal gets there by the Calends of March. Hail Caesar.

off topic 2 is also the right spot for logical covid arguments, if any exist.

With respect to restarting play, I think LA gets to orange by the Ides of March, and Norcal gets there by the Calends of March. Hail Caesar.
Actually the topic is "Odds We Play In Spring."

That means the topic is 100% related to covid.

And your earlier comments were related to covid no?

Actually the topic is If We Play In Spring.

That means the topic is 100% related to covid.

And your earlier comments were related to covid no?
Correct! Covid should be the only conversation here, as that’s what will allow us to play, or not.

100% we will have a spring season. A season typically has 10 to 12 games. This means they just need 6 weeks to play a season (Games on sat & Sunday). Let's say worst case scenario the season starts May 1st, they can end it by mid June. I dont see them (Calsouth/SCDSL/Clubs) looking forward to doing huge refunds so they need to wrap up the season even if ithey shorten this to 8 games. State cup is 0% chance for me

100% we will have a spring season. A season typically has 10 to 12 games. This means they just need 6 weeks to play a season (Games on sat & Sunday). Let's say worst case scenario the season starts May 1st, they can end it by mid June. I dont see them (Calsouth/SCDSL/Clubs) looking forward to doing huge refunds so they need to wrap up the season even if ithey shorten this to 8 games. State cup is 0% chance for me
So with this scenario, no regular May tryout?

Correct! Covid should be the only conversation here, as that’s what will allow us to play, or not.
We tried talking covid all the time. It's no fun.

When do you think the kids get to have official games, in state?

I think Nor Cal has some chance for April but will know more in about a month. Socal specifically LA has zero chance for spring in my opinion UNLESS Newsome alters the tier standards at some point. I still believe he put these tiers out knowing it would be near impossible to hit the correct colors anytime soon and his way of saying, hey, I'm trying to help you but in reality he knows exactly what he's doing. We need to get through the NYE surge in about 2 weeks and then hopefully progress will start. If numbers don't start dropping b the end of January, quit sports haha. It's sad since in most situation it doesn't spread at actual soccer events. How much safer would local games be vs traveling out of state too? It's mind boggling to me Newsome doesn't realize this and act on it. All good doing nothing right now with how bad things are but all fall we could have played local games.

We tried talking covid all the time. It's no fun.

When do you think the kids get to have official games, in state?
Return to normal soccer will be the Fall season. I see scrimmages within a club in late March, intra-county competition in April. How official that will be, is yet to be seen. We were close to intra-squad scrimmages last October if you remember.

I think Nor Cal has some chance for April but will know more in about a month. Socal specifically LA has zero chance for spring in my opinion UNLESS Newsome alters the tier standards at some point. I still believe he put these tiers out knowing it would be near impossible to hit the correct colors anytime soon and his way of saying, hey, I'm trying to help you but in reality he knows exactly what he's doing. We need to get through the NYE surge in about 2 weeks and then hopefully progress will start. If numbers don't start dropping b the end of January, quit sports haha. It's sad since in most situation it doesn't spread at actual soccer events. How much safer would local games be vs traveling out of state too? It's mind boggling to me Newsome doesn't realize this and act on it. All good doing nothing right now with how bad things are but all fall we could have played local games.
LA is going to hit orange before the rest of us.

Their case rate so far is already 8.4%. That's well into the range where other states have peaked and gone into decline. I think they'd be in decline already if not for Xmas/NYE.

Back