Odds We Play in Spring

Our club started requiring masks once the state moved to this new "region" model. I suspect it's more of an optics thing versus anything backed by science. I mean I can already see people saying "Well all these businesses are being shut down, but why are kids still playing soccer without masks on?".

Fortunately for me, all of our kids have just gone along with it. I honestly can't believe they haven't made a fuss during this whole thing. I think as a kid I would go ape shit over these rules. Though one of our kids does let the mask drop below his nose. My internal reaction is "smart move dude...smart move".

My kids - and the team/bubble w/whom they practice - are wearing masks on the field and it’s been totally fine. My college-age kid has worn a mask at every practice and weight session and, also, it’s been totally fine.

And, @Highlander, re your upthread question: I have enjoyed every level of watching my kids play. From U-Littles w/o GKs to club national playoffs to HS to YNT . . . I know it will end soon enough (my oldest does not play sports in his 20s and I’m not going to watch him do his job) so I’m really conscious about how special it is. If I could change anything, I’d want the parents to take themselves, their kids and the “process” less seriously. If they did that, they’d enjoy more of the experience.

Back