Oceansside fields in the news --

football participation has been decreasing over the last ~5 years at a not insignificant rate. kind of funny to see the shoe on the other foot. I get the impression football doesn't really do tournaments like soccer does. the monetization rate of soccer fields is way higher than football, is my guess.

football participation has been decreasing over the last ~5 years at a not insignificant rate. kind of funny to see the shoe on the other foot. I get the impression football doesn't really do tournaments like soccer does. the monetization rate of soccer fields is way higher than football, is my guess.

Agreed. I can't imagine a football team playing 4 games over a weekend.

That is an interesting read. Sounds like someone is misusing public property and Oceanside is losing a lot of revenue.

I am not a resident of Oceanside, but it seems to me that those who are should be asking questions at City Council meetings about this whole operation. In the initial presentations made by the City and the contractor, there was no mention of paid parking. The maps and pictures showed winding roads with a few playing fields intermingled with lawns, trees, hike/bike trails, and picnic grounds. What happened to that?

Poorly researched and one sided article. No mention of the cost to maintain 20 soccer fields at a high level (hint ... about $50k per month (labor, machines, fuel, water, etc.) or $800k per year to do a basic job. Its true that SoCal could do a much better job, fix its thatch problem, etc., but citing revenue numbers without citing costs is F- work.

Poorly researched and one sided article. No mention of the cost to maintain 20 soccer fields at a high level (hint ... about $50k per month (labor, machines, fuel, water, etc.) or $800k per year to do a basic job. Its true that SoCal could do a much better job, fix its thatch problem, etc., but citing revenue numbers without citing costs is F- work.
Math per month was wrong. Should be about $70k when factoring in water.

Math per month was wrong. Should be about $70k when factoring in water.

I have heard in the past that most of the water they use is from wells on the site. There is a treatment pond for it on the north side of the fields.

Back