OC Galaxy PCA & AYSO Select Tryouts- does a kid have to be "good"?

LMC_OC

BRONZE
Hello, I have a 7 year old daughter, who has played just 2 seasons of AYSO soccer. The drive and effort is there, but she could be developed more in the skill. My question is: can anyone lend insight into OC Galaxy's Pre-Club Academy Tryouts and AYSO Select Tryouts? Does a kid have to be really good at tryouts to make a team? Galaxy PCA Tryouts have already passed but I am looking into next fall (2020) for OC Galaxy. AYSO Select tryouts are coming up and potentially having my daughter try out as she is interested. Any insight into the "skill capability" for these non-club teams would be great. Thank you.

LAGOC has quite a few teams. 2011Gs have a (1) flight 1, (1) flight 2, and (2) flight 3 teams. I believe your daughter will be a 2012 so a good time to join next season. I would say most of the girls if they are at a decent skill level will make one of the teams at the younger ages.

As far as "skill capability", it is hit-or-miss. AYSO is still volunteer coached so you might get a parent who is a really good coach and knows soccer or another parent coach who just wants to win and plays kick ball especially at the younger ages. My son has played with and against a boys AYSO extra team that won Far West regionals last year. That team was well-coached and would be a legitimate Flight 2 team. Most of the boys on that team got picked up by local clubs this year and all are doing quite well. On the other side, my daughter's club team (younger) scrimmaged an Extra team (state champs last year and undefeated this year so far) and my daughter's team beat them soundly (to the point her coach had to take one of our players off the field and play a man down in the 2nd half). The way they played, I don't think the Extra team had played against any teams that pass the ball around. Keep in mind that generally AYSO Extra teams are at least a little better than AYSO Select teams given they try-out before the season for the chance to compete for your region and play against other regions vs Select who is drawing from the core teams from the regular season.

Hello, I have a 7 year old daughter, who has played just 2 seasons of AYSO soccer. The drive and effort is there, but she could be developed more in the skill. My question is: can anyone lend insight into OC Galaxy's Pre-Club Academy Tryouts and AYSO Select Tryouts? Does a kid have to be really good at tryouts to make a team? Galaxy PCA Tryouts have already passed but I am looking into next fall (2020) for OC Galaxy. AYSO Select tryouts are coming up and potentially having my daughter try out as she is interested. Any insight into the "skill capability" for these non-club teams would be great. Thank you.

The criteria for select/all star teams is a little all over the place from region to region. Some regions have coaches scout their teams during the regular season, a few have tryouts, some base it on recommendations (and include things like fair play etc.). For Extras, AYSO has a recommended tryout test that most regions use as a guideline...it gives a lot of weight to running speed, passing ability, and shooting skills (less by way of defensive skills, goalkeeping or tactics)....as a result Extras teams have a tendency to be striker-heavy.

PCA is just about revenue. AYSO is a ymmv depending on region and parent coaching experience. Being “good” doesn’t matter as the kids that stand out will be moved in to other programs - sometimes even if they aren’t good. Some programs do offer better skills training and a 7 year old needs to focus on skills training more than scoring goals or being faster than everyone

AYSO Spring Select is different from Extra. It is not a year round team. It tends to be a little less skilled then the end of year All Star team and is coached by the regular volunteer coaches from the fall season. You would normally play the Area league and also some tournaments. It is definitely a higher level of play than the regular AYSO fall core season but not a ton higher.

Thank you everyone for your responses. So if my "just ok" daughter tried out for Galaxy's PCA, there is a chance she'd make it based on number of factors, that her lack of more developed skills can be forgiven based on other attributes about her ability? That is the summation I got from all your responses.

Thank you everyone for your responses. So if my "just ok" daughter tried out for Galaxy's PCA, there is a chance she'd make it based on number of factors, that her lack of more developed skills can be forgiven based on other attributes about her ability? That is the summation I got from all your responses.

As long as you have the $3k + to spend yes she will make it. They will take your money absolutely. Same for all other clubs as long as she has some ability. Find the right coach and try other clubs as well before saying yes. Galaxy looks like pretty good club in general though.

Galaxy structure is made to keep you in the system. Development isn’t the priority. You will be sold and be ready to swim through all the BS. Main thing is your child is comfortable and enjoys playing. My kids have played Rec at various places and used group training (Burgi Hoffman) to help them develop. As the kid develops you find better team/team training. As the kid tells you they want to keep playing and want to push themselves to play on better teams, you support them and find those environments. Just have to be educated on what the nonsense is - many kids quit soccer due to bad environments

My daughter plays in LAGOC's PCA. We've kept her in the program because she enjoys it & has developed her skills over the past few seasons. At no point have we ever felt compelled to stick with LAGOC. In fact, we may move her into futsal after she participates in a December tournament. She wants to do gymnastics, and we want her to diversify her athletics to prevent burn out and overuse injuries. We've also had a great experience with the parents, save one odd situation a few weeks back where one of the dads cussed out both the ref & coach, then was promptly given his marching orders.

You lose nothing by having your daughter attend tryouts, typically held at Oak Creek Park in Irvine on a Friday night. I believe they're having a free skills clinic next Friday, and a lot of PCA kids attend the clinics. It will give you an idea of the type of coaching she'll get at PCA. The requirements to enter PCA obviously aren't as strict as club, so if she shows the coaches a willingness to play & learn, they'll most likely extend an invite.

Skills no coach is going to say is "Good" or not, But will be on every coaches mind when evaluating players.
1. kicking the ability ( Ability to kick the ball solid with consistency) passing definitely,,, shooting even better, but that is special at that age.
2. Position Orientation = how well does she position herself between the ball and her own goal (front to ball vs. back to goal)
3 Motor = how much energy / enthusiasm does she exert for the duration of the game. Body language , (dancing bouncing good/ head low dragging feet not good.)
4. Going for it = ability to throw out skilled instruction and act with pure instinct to tackle ball, be physical,, dribble and shoot without conscience.
Some of the things cant be taught,, but can be learned from teammates that have these qualities. Good players help make other good. and vice versa.
If you ask me, if you cant find a good coach,,, find a special player she can emulate..

My daughter plays in LAGOC's PCA. We've kept her in the program because she enjoys it & has developed her skills over the past few seasons. At no point have we ever felt compelled to stick with LAGOC. In fact, we may move her into futsal after she participates in a December tournament. She wants to do gymnastics, and we want her to diversify her athletics to prevent burn out and overuse injuries. We've also had a great experience with the parents, save one odd situation a few weeks back where one of the dads cussed out both the ref & coach, then was promptly given his marching orders.

You lose nothing by having your daughter attend tryouts, typically held at Oak Creek Park in Irvine on a Friday night. I believe they're having a free skills clinic next Friday, and a lot of PCA kids attend the clinics. It will give you an idea of the type of coaching she'll get at PCA. The requirements to enter PCA obviously aren't as strict as club, so if she shows the coaches a willingness to play & learn, they'll most likely extend an invite.
I know how the program was set up and the protocols within the program - there are protocols and tools for just about everything at the club. Most surround selling parents - methods that involve parents not being aware they are being sold. Pretty slick when Customers don’t understand what is being sold or how it is being done. Good sales people, or people who work in these environments, pick up on most of the techniques.

“Free Clinics” are not free in many aspects - except at levels most people outside of those who have been admins at clubs, or coaches, would understand. At the basic level these clinics are recruiting tools to gain new customers. Coaches conduct training, but also sorting where kids would fit in the system (before figuring out what you can afford) - rec, signature or club. NO ONE is turned away. Marketing gets you to the camp or clinic (maybe even via other customers), coach uses selling techniques, then marketing does what they do (they love their emails) and coach finishes job with awesome congrats letter. How many thought out “personal” evaluations and letters did you get from coaches and club? Those evals have gotten next level with the all the columns and colored numbers. Let the customers hear what they like but have higher ups comment how bad all the kids are when no one is around. To be fair there are other similar clubs, but the marketing levels and protocols are nowhere near the same. Just the name “pre academy” should give you an indication of the marketing that is going on

Back