Observations from ECNL Phoenix Showcase

Free Kick

BRONZE
Having returned from the recent showcase in Phoenix, I must say that overall I was pleased with how everything went. By and large, most everyone socially distanced on the sideline and were wearing masks. Not everyone but most. I was never uncomfortable finding a place to watch the game safely. The complex had sanitizer stations at each field and the watching crowds were very small. In my opinion, having the live stream option to view games remotely, reduced the crowd size.

The matches were fun, competitive and the girls got after it, however, it was clear (at least to me) that most teams were taking results with a grain of salt. No one really looked to be in top form, which is to be expected, and by and large the better teams won.

The downside of the trip was self-imposed. Spent most of the time in the hotel room, no eating in restaurants, and skipped out on typical trips to explore the area. Kinda boring outside of watching the games. Once we landed back home, got our covid tests the following morning.

Certainly felt a bit hypocritical taking the trip but happy it worked out. Ideally, local in-county play should be made available so this types of trips can be avoided. Still, props to ECNL for making this work and having guidelines in place. Every club at the showcase followed the guidelines that I could see.

I think SW U17 should have played two league games, one Friday and Saturday and then a fun one with no true meaning of a winner on Sunday. It would have made the trip more competitive and more better and funner. No way some D1 coach is waking up at 6:30am to watch livestream, please!!! Video quality was weak to be honest. I had a pro do our game Sunday and i compared and the pro was way better. A friend told me the coach following his dd said it was impossible to see whose, who and basically a waste of her time. I would have passed on the Livestream and just offered high quality pro video with 8 free edit clips to send to the coaches. 6 positive and 2 bad ones, as to be honest. My dd watched and she said, "wow, I walk a lot." I loved it and told her she hasn;t played a in 9 months. She now see's she needs to at least jog and act busy in these non competitive games with nothing on the line except bragging rights. The stacked teams have the advantage in these showcases. This is MOO :)

My dd watched and she said, "wow, I walk a lot." I loved it and told her she hasn;t played a in 9 months. She now see's she needs to at least jog and act busy in these non competitive games with nothing on the line except bragging rights.
I don't know what position your DD plays but remember that the only person that runs less than Messi is the keeper. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I don't know what position your DD plays but remember that the only person that runs less than Messi is the keeper. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
I think what she is learning is she is a rocket but the fuel runs out faster at 16 & 17. 12, no worries. It's not worth it at this point to give up fun, pizza nd some ice cream. Maybe she can come in for 5 minutes each half and bring in a little spark. I will say, if they ever respect the female soccer player and actually pay them to play instead of making me pay so she can play, she would work her ass off to be in max playing condition. I can;t in good faith give her false advice. Our Governor just took the two week warning away and if your in purple for one second, you're a purple. That's like telling an NFL team, "sorry Jack, no more two minute warning. Also, were taking all your time outs and no more challenge flag." WHO the hell likes how their being cheated right now? Wake up people!!!

Back