NWSL in Los Angeles

Great stat - did not know..
hmmm. Honestly that is not saying much...

Portland averaging 20k really brings the stats up. Without them Average would be about 5.5k.

Skyblue only averaged 3400 per game last year and Houston just over 4k and those two are located in top 5 metro areas. How do these teams make money?

Big fan. Watched every game on CBS all access last month. Only sport my wife will watch so makes a nice date day. I'll be going to as many games as possible. When you have a daughter that plays and prefer watching women's soccer to men's, nice to finally have a chance to watch locally.

Portland averaging 20k really brings the stats up. Without them Average would be about 5.5k.

Skyblue only averaged 3400 per game last year and Houston just over 4k and those two are located in top 5 metro areas. How do these teams make money?
There ya go, thanks for the context.

The USWNT have played a friendly in a huge stadium in the past where the organizer only sold tickets for half of the stadium. It created a better atmosphere for those that attended the game, and it looked much better on TV

They'll draw higher than Portland Thorns, who pull about 20k per game, so that really narrows down the options. SoFi is turf and is also owned by Kroenke so I would consider that out. Where else would you put them? Double-headers at Chavez?
You don’t really think the LA women’s pro soccer team will average more than 20,000 per game, do you?
I would thing about half that amount.

The USWNT have played a friendly in a huge stadium in the past where the organizer only sold tickets for half of the stadium. It created a better atmosphere for those that attended the game, and it looked much better on TV

I call "looked much better on TV" for my imaginary rock group band name.

You don’t really think the LA women’s pro soccer team will average more than 20,000 per game, do you?

The former San Diego women's pro team Spirit drew such big crowds that USD enlarged their stadium. I remember writing an email to Kevin Crow when he was the team GM complaining about how poorly they were handling the big crowds in some parts of the stadium at halftime.

The former San Diego women's pro team Spirit drew such big crowds that USD enlarged their stadium. I remember writing an email to Kevin Crow when he was the team GM complaining about how poorly they were handling the big crowds in some parts of the stadium at halftime.
They expanded it to 6,000 seats.

Most of the tickets are given away.
I had a couple free tickets to a uswnt game at dignity, I couldn't even give them away. It was far from a packed stadium. The only people that went in our group were fellow club soccer parents and their kids.

Because the players don't get paid much at all.

That's two USWNT stars-- now imagine your average holding mid for Sky Blue. (Why everyone goes so f'n insane wanting their kids to be DA, ECNL, etc, so they can be on a pro team, is just beyond me-- teach your kids how to program a computer and they'll make more money in 1 year than these soccer players will make their entire career)

Every time I've seen the USWNT play at Stubhub/Dignity Health/whatever it's called this week, they sell out the place. An LA team may not pull 20k on a Tuesday night, but I'd put even money on Angel City out-drawing Galaxy.

I had a couple free tickets to a uswnt game at dignity, I couldn't even give them away. It was far from a packed stadium. The only people that went in our group were fellow club soccer parents and their kids.
You should post the free tickets on here ... or sell them. I'll take them any day.

You should post the free tickets on here ... or sell them. I'll take them any day.
Good idea, next time I will. I was just surprised not more people were interested. But then again I didn't watch it until my kids started playing.

Every time I've seen the USWNT play at Stubhub/Dignity Health/whatever it's called this week, they sell out the place. An LA team may not pull 20k on a Tuesday night, but I'd put even money on Angel City out-drawing Galaxy.
Home Depot Center!

Well I hope you’re right.
The USWNT is its own multi-generational legacy thing...not seeing a local pro team doing more than 10,000 a game or so, but we’ll see.

Back